Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

The least visited States in the Country?

The least visited States in the Country?

Old Aug 8, 1999, 10:52 pm
In Memoriam

I'm rather proud of having been to all 50 states - too many people have explored the rest of the world to the exclusion of their own country.

I had four missing by 1983: Oklahoma, Hawaii, Florida, North Dakota. Try combining those into one itinerary! I got the first three by 1986, but North Dakota waited until I stopped work in 1993...and I cashed in a mileage award to do it!
Old Aug 9, 1999, 8:09 am

Fortunately I was born in North Dakota (Grand Forks) so that one got crossed off the list early! We then moved to warmer climes - South Dakota. Then Iowa. Then Illinois. Then Nebraska. Still have fambly in all of those places... forgive me if I don't go back to visit as much as I should!

Cheers,

'toad
Old Aug 9, 1999, 11:41 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
I have yet to visit 2 states, North and South Dakota. They have been on my list of places to go to for the past 5 years.
Old Aug 9, 1999, 12:27 pm

There is an organization of frequent travellers called the Century Club. Their definition of country includes areas that are geographically or ethnographically separate from the mother country. For the US, Alaska and Hawaii are separate. St Pierre and Miquelon off Canada's shores are separate.
They allow provisional membership at 75 countries and full at 100. So far I am in the upper 60s. Their phone 310-393-7419
Old Aug 9, 1999, 2:46 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've heard of these clubs and often wondered if they are worthwhile. Any particularly good/bad experiences?
Old Aug 9, 1999, 2:55 pm

AusTXHiker - I'd suggest going to SD the first couple weeks of August and take in the rally at Sturgis. What a sight! As for ND, if summer falls on a Saturday next year, you could go then.

Cheers,

'toad
Old Aug 9, 1999, 5:01 pm
Commander Catcop

Dakotas and UTAH and Arizona and New Mexico.

And I have a lifetime honorary passport to the secnd greatest state in the world, Texas.

Been to at least 40 countries, including China and Australia.
Old Aug 10, 1999, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Doc, Actually you can be provisional in Traveler's Century Club with no countries, just pay $20/yr dues for the newsletters, etc. The members send in stories of interesting, out of the way places, they go to accumulate countries. Some travel agents mail to the group so when we went last year to West Africa on Pacific Princess, about half the ship was made up of members of TCC. We actually had a couple of ship board meetings with like-minded fellow travelers. The travel agent (we did not buy from him) tried to set up an extra-country excursion for members but it got terminated early due to a Spanish ferry boat's being late. If you live in certain cities in the US, there are get togethers, the most members being in L.A. where there are luncheons at least every other month. The club is good for travel tips and fellowship.
Old Aug 10, 1999, 7:27 pm
Original Member

Made it to most states, but lack Alaska, Hawaii, North Dakota, Indiana and Minnesota. It would be interesting packing for a trip with all five on the itinerary! Then, on the other hand, there are still places in Texas I haven't visited.

[This message has been edited by Bluebonnet (edited 08-10-1999).]
Old Aug 10, 1999, 9:36 pm
DBK

I hit all 50 states by the time I was 23, but I think part of the real question, is have you really experienced the flavor of each state. For instance, I've only been in an airport in Georgia. Does that count? I go back and forth on it.

And, BTW, AusTXhiker -- I would actually suggest the Black Hills in SD. Custer State Park is as nice as anywhere I have ever been. And I have been to all of the crown jewels in the national park system. ND is just a short hop across the border.
Old Aug 10, 1999, 9:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Ditto on the Black Hills and Custer State Park. The entire Rapid City, SD area is quite a great place to visit. Mount Rushmore is in the same vicinity and Badlands National Park is not too far east.
Old Aug 11, 1999, 8:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
Hammertoad and DBK: Thanks for the heads up. At least now I have an idea on what time of year is best to visit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.