Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airport arrival times in US

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2022, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Airport arrival times in US

When several friends (not necessarily frequent fliers) posted recently that they missed flights due to very long checkin and screening times, I noticed that MCO is recommending 3 hour arrival time before flights. It seems that this started pre COVID, but with staffing issues post pandemic, is this an issue with airports in the US more broadly? Other specific US airports?

In my decades of travel, I’ve always stuck with 1.5 hours without checked bags and 2 hours with checked bags. Is that changing, even if only temporarily? Having just started traveling for work again with multiple family trips planned this summer, travel definitely feels different now, but I could just be out of practice. I know status and precheck help, of course, but would like to get a sense of anything is changing overall.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by jonu
When several friends (not necessarily frequent fliers) posted recently that they missed flights due to very long checkin and screening times, I noticed that MCO is recommending 3 hour arrival time before flights. It seems that this started pre COVID, but with staffing issues post pandemic, is this an issue with airports in the US more broadly? Other specific US airports?

In my decades of travel, I’ve always stuck with 1.5 hours without checked bags and 2 hours with checked bags. Is that changing, even if only temporarily? Having just started traveling for work again with multiple family trips planned this summer, travel definitely feels different now, but I could just be out of practice. I know status and precheck help, of course, but would like to get a sense of anything is changing overall.
ive flown during Covid. About 6 or so RTs per year.

MCO is an outlier because it’s skewed heavy as a tourist destination with families and inexperienced fliers which results in line back ups.

others it’s airport dependent. Seattle on Alaska the lines can be long. I add time flying out of there. I’ve gone to the non AS security side to go through there. You also have Seattle as a cruise port so you get the infrequent traveler factor too.

time of day matters. Early before 7 am flights…TSA runs inefficiently. Note erroneous starts on time so in small airports youcan have a backlog at security.

i usually shoot for about 2 hrs with checking a bag then add some based on time of day and airport and time of year
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:23 am
Original Poster

I am back from an EWR-ORD trip. Times seem normal, but the MCO stories (I know, amateur tourists) and the current AMS situation still concern me. Plus summer. Hopefully, even with COVID labor issues, situations like MCO and AMS remain the exception.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jonu
I am back from an EWR-ORD trip. Times seem normal, but the MCO stories (I know, amateur tourists) and the current AMS situation still concern me. Plus summer. Hopefully, even with COVID labor issues, situations like MCO and AMS remain the exception.
There's always gonna be sucky times and sucky places when you travel - but that's why a good FlyerTalker plans options accordingly.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.