FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   USA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa-738/)
-   -   Online Passport Renewal Pre-Reg Open for Friends and Family of Gov Employees (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa/2062840-online-passport-renewal-pre-reg-open-friends-family-gov-employees.html)

radioactive Dec 21, 2021 2:14 pm

Online Passport Renewal Pre-Reg Open for Friends and Family of Gov Employees

I came across something interesting today that is an extension of the modernization of federal services announced last week, including renewing passports online.

https://www.defense.gov/News/News-St...sports-online/

Short story is: The State Department is doing beta testing for the new portal to renew US passports electronically. Beta registration is open for the following three groups of people:

* Department of State employee/contractor
* Employee/contractor of another federal agency
* Friend or family member of a federal employee/contractor

There are a bunch of conditions, none of them too onerous, but something you should be aware of (passport issued between 2006-2012, not changing names, living in the United States, etc.)

The link for the registration can be found in the defense.gov link, it's just a google form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...zNo-w/viewform

According to the news article, the portal is scheduled to open on which opens on 23 December.

Hope this helps someone!

DELee Dec 21, 2021 2:17 pm

Funny, many US contractors for the government aren't able to access Google Docs at work.

David

GUWonder Dec 23, 2021 11:22 am

For those who try to get in on this -- long in the works project -- signing-up via the Google Docs method kicks back an email. An email that is often ending up in the Spam/Junk box for email accounts.

This way of signing up is so as to be part of the pilot sign-up, part of the pilot before the portal is opened up to the general public at some point in 2022.

GUWonder Dec 27, 2021 10:36 am

For those who sign-up for this, an email is kicked back that says "Passport Modernization and Innovation" and comes from State.gov.

Thank you for volunteering to renew your U.S. passport online! You’ve completed the first step by letting us know you’re interested in renewing. We now need you to create an account on MyTravelGov, which is the U.S. Department of State’s portal to securely access and submit your passport renewal application.

You must now create a MyTravelGov account if you want to renew online. Because we are adding each account holder to a ‘welcome list’ and will be cross-referencing the pre-registration list with MyTravelGov accounts, you will need to wait up to several weeks before you can renew online. If you do not want to wait several weeks before renewing online, we recommend you renew by mail. Thanks for your patience as we test our new system.

Create your MyTravelGov account at https://mytravel.state.gov Please access this link using Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge. You will experience technical issues if you use Safari (Apple devices) or Firefox. If you have issues with the link on your mobile device, try on a desktop. Below the log-in area on the page, click on “Don’t have an account? Sign up.”

Watch this video (https://youtu.be/ynC2O5c6g40) which will guide you through the MyTravelGov account creation process. After you create your account, you will receive a verification email sent to the email account you entered earlier. Check your spam folder if you do not see the email in your inbox. You must use the link in the email within 24 hours. The link will return you to the MyTravelGov sign-in page. Enter your email and password, and log-in to activate your account. You must create answers to three security questions in case you need to reset your password later. After you complete these steps, you are all set. We will follow up in several weeks with more information.

Things to keep in mind:
1. Create your MyTravelGov account now. You will need to wait up to several weeks before you can renew online.
2. Use the same email address for your MyTravelGov account as the one you used to pre-register. You can only have one email address per account. Your email address will be your user name.
3. After you create an account, our technical team will register your profile so you can submit your application online.

Because this is a limited release of our online renewal service, we will not publish information about the service on our public website, travel.state.gov. We will continue to communicate directly with you through email.

In response to common questions on the Google Form …
• We are offering routine service (currently 8-11 weeks) and expedited service (currently 5-7 weeks) for online passport renewal. These processing times are subject to change.

• Children under age 16 are not eligible to renew their passports and must apply in-person.

• When you renew online, you will need your most recent passport with you. You get to keep your old passport. Unlike the current renewal process, you are not going to mail us any documents when you renew online.

• When you renew online, you will need to upload a new digital photo (.JPEG file format) that meets our passport photo requirements. We recommend that you go to a photo vendor and have them email you a digital photo.

• You must live in the United States, and have a physical address in the United States to participate in this online program. You cannot be stationed at an overseas post if you want to renew online during this pilot program.

Thank you for your continued patience and support as we work together to launch and test this new system. If you have any questions, reply to this email.

Thank you,

Online Passport Renewal Team
U.S. Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Trying to create MyTravelGov accounts is rather glitchy. For example: for a large part of yesterday still, many of the attempts to sign up were just not going to work out since the web page would snag in a loop unless getting creative.

deaddog Feb 13, 2022 12:45 pm

I am signed up for the "friends and family" online renewal program. The latest email (1/29/2022) said they'll provide an update in late February. My passport expires 5/2022 so I am considering renewing by mail as I'm skeptical the online program will go live in time for me to be renewed.

jason8612 Apr 7, 2022 5:26 pm

Has anyone tried this and has feedback on the process?

bonjourashley Apr 8, 2022 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 34146541)
Has anyone tried this and has feedback on the process?

I signed up for the beta early last month and DOS emailed me about 10 days after signing up saying that I was eligible to submit the application. However I was in Paris at the time, so I wasn't going to submit until I was home.

Meanwhile I had been trying (unsuccessfully) to find folks online who could speak to the process before I actually committed to it. After some searching I still hadn't found anyone, so I bit the bullet and submitted my renewal application on Wednesday (4/6) of this week. My application was accepted and was issued an application number by the DOS, and I received an email about an hour after submitting that my application was being reviewed by a DOS employee. Right now I am still in limbo/review, but I will come back provide updates throughout the process as I get them.

One thing to note, when I go to check my passport status on the State Dept website it says the status is unavailable. I know it can take a few weeks for it to update, but I'm also unsure if it ever will given that I applied through a totally different process than the standard one.

jason8612 Apr 8, 2022 6:14 pm

Interesting.
Does the old passport stay valid during the time of renewal? Say, if someone was to fly out of the country during the renewal process.

bonjourashley Apr 8, 2022 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 34149748)
Interesting.
Does the old passport stay valid during the time of renewal? Say, if someone was to fly out of the country during the renewal process.

When I was completing the application it indicated that my old passport would immediately become void once I hit submit. Now, do I actually think the State Dept. is organized enough to void it that quickly? Nah... But I'm also too paranoid to dare try and use it.

TWA884 Apr 9, 2022 1:11 pm

DansDeals reported a couple of days ago that he used the online renewal system and that his new passport was mailed in a week.

[Readers Getting Passports In As Few As 2 Days] The New US Online Passport Renewal System Is Incredible: I Already Have My New Passport Just A Week After Renewal!

Readers are reporting that after getting invited to apply, they are receiving expedited passports in as few as 2 days and regular passports within 1 week. Talk about a game-changer!

Alas, online passport renewal is only available for those 16 or older.

You can request an invitation to apply online here. Turnaround time for an invite appears to be between 1-3 weeks.

jhurwitz Apr 28, 2022 12:59 am

Originally Posted by bonjourashley (Post 34148948)
One thing to note, when I go to check my passport status on the State Dept website it says the status is unavailable. I know it can take a few weeks for it to update, but I'm also unsure if it ever will given that I applied through a totally different process than the standard one.

I emailed the State Dept's online passport renewal team to ask about this one, and was told: "You may check your online passport status using your MyTravelGov account. [...] The passportstatus.state.gov link is to check the status of paper applications."

bonjourashley May 13, 2022 10:20 am

Status update:
Application was submitted on 4/6 and as of today (5/13) it is still in process. I haven't received any updates from the State Dept, and definitely haven't gotten the same speedy service as in the Dan's Deals articles. YMMV on your own experience.

jhurwitz May 21, 2022 12:49 pm

Some interesting data points I've gathered from myself and a few friends:

Some applications stay in the "Received" state (often for 5+ weeks) until they are processed. For these people, it seems like once your application moves to the "In Process" state, that's a signal that it will typically be processed, shipped, and delivered within a matter of days. Other applications move into the "In Process" state as soon as you apply (that same day or maybe the next day), and then stay in this state (again, often for 5+ weeks) until they are processed.

(My guess for why Dan got his passport so quickly is that there used to be some bugs -- likely since fixed -- in the new online renewal process where applications that somehow moved into "In Process" immediately were actually processed immediately, rather than experiencing the same typical waiting period.)

I'm not sure why there's a difference in how these applications get handled, but it seems preferable to have your application in the "Received" state. This is because, should your travel plans change and you suddenly need your passport sooner than anticipated, you can use the website to upgrade your application from routine to expedited processing while it's stuck in the "Received" state, but not while it's in the "In Process" state. (To do so, log in to MyTravelGov, click "Renew now," and then click on your existing application number. There should be an option to "Upgrade Processing or Delivery Options.") You will be charged an additional fee to upgrade to expedited processing. I don't know anyone who's tried to upgrade after-the-fact, so I'm not sure how quickly your renewal would be processed at that point.

estnet Jun 2, 2022 9:03 pm

Has anyone applied who ahem, might not actually be government employed - asking for a friend.

Section 107 Jun 3, 2022 8:17 am

Originally Posted by estnet (Post 34302846)
Has anyone applied who ahem, might not actually be government employed - asking for a friend.

your "friend" could always try it and then you could let us, your friends, know how it goes.....

GoSh4rks Jun 3, 2022 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by estnet (Post 34302846)

The invite request page has a clear option for "Not a government employee", which I selected. They sent me an invite and I submitted my application the other week.

Also, they tell you that you are welcome to share the invite request link.

There are no issues if you aren't a government employee.

estnet Jun 3, 2022 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks (Post 34304733)
The invite request page has a clear option for "Not a government employee", which I selected. They sent me an invite and I submitted my application the other week.

thank you -

GoSh4rks Jun 23, 2022 3:50 pm

4 weeks, 2 days after submitting, I received a shipped email on a non-expedited renewal.

Jun 25 edit: received 52pg old version.

IndyHoosier Jun 29, 2022 12:31 pm

Submitted my application online on June 9, received an email saying it was shipped on June 24 and had the passport in my hands on June 27.

Amazed how quick and easy the process was for a non-expedited renewal.

jason8612 Jun 29, 2022 6:37 pm

I did it for my father.
Submitted 5/26
in process 5/27
Shipped 6/21

60614 Jul 1, 2022 8:07 am

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks (Post 34304733)

Same experience here. Checked the right boxes (honest answers), got the email, submitted the application no problem. Status "in process" but I only submitted a few days ago.

AMRivlin Jul 10, 2022 10:26 pm

Applied for access to the new tool in April 2022 - Approved.
Submitted and Paid for renewal on June 22.
As of July 10, it still showing Status: "Received"

Passport expires in Jan 2023 so no rush, just strange it seems stuck.

bonjourashley Jul 12, 2022 9:25 am

Originally Posted by bonjourashley (Post 34246915)
Status update:
Application was submitted on 4/6 and as of today (5/13) it is still in process. I haven't received any updates from the State Dept, and definitely haven't gotten the same speedy service as in the Dan's Deals articles. YMMV on your own experience.

A very delayed final update:

On 5/13 I went into my State account to upgrade to expedited processing as I had a trip to Paris on 5/30, and I was starting to feel a little panicked. Surprisingly, it did not charge me to expedite, even though initially there was a price difference between expedited and standard processing.

Once I selected the option to expedite, I received a response that my request had been received, and that I would receive a message informing me when my request was reviewed.

To my surprise, a few hours later I received an email from State letting me know that my passport had shipped, and I received it the next day.

AMRivlin Jul 12, 2022 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by bonjourashley (Post 34418629)

On 5/13 I went into my State account to upgrade to expedited processing as I had a trip to Paris on 5/30, and I was starting to feel a little panicked. Surprisingly, it did not charge me to expedite, even though initially there was a price difference between expedited and standard processing.

Nice! this was not the case (It wants $60 from me).

I did email [email protected] to check on status.

estnet Jul 12, 2022 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by bonjourashley (Post 34418629)

Once I selected the option to expedite, I received a response that my request had been received, and that I would receive a message informing me when my request was reviewed.

To my surprise, a few hours later I received an email from State letting me know that my passport had shipped, and I received it the next day.

My guess is that it has already been processed and was about to ship so (surprisingly) the system knew and didn't charge you :)

AMRivlin Jul 14, 2022 2:26 pm

Following an email to the OPR program, the status changed to in progress, then printed, then shipped from AZ all within 24 hours. Arrived Saturday.

MY NGP was printed on the day I emailed their support desk.

VTrain Jul 30, 2022 9:48 am

Adult renewal, routine processing (but did enter my scheduled November trip).

Applied: July 14
In Process: July 15
Shipped: July 28

Received a NGP.

jhurwitz Jul 31, 2022 12:34 pm

Looks like online passport renewal now supports both books & cards. When I renewed a couple months ago, the website only supported passport books.

phltraveler Aug 23, 2022 12:52 pm

With the pilot now open outside the military I helped my mother submit her renewal on August 9th. Within 10 minutes it went to in process. No updates since. Standard book, standard processing.

I am curious to see where the online processing time actually falls - a couple weeks earlier my brother submitted DS-11 by mail (he lost his passport card hence couldn't renew) and he got his passport with standard processing in less than a month door-to-door. Way less than the promised 8-11 weeks.

estnet Aug 23, 2022 9:12 pm

I found out about this a few months ago b/c FT. Submitted for book only on Aug. 3. Credit card processed on same day. Has showed in process since then. I'll update when I get it. Hoping for old one b/c I believe it has one more page :o
Much easier for me and cheaper b/c no postage fees both ways, no worry about pp being lost, didn't have to print photo, could pay by cc! Since they accepted the pic online hope it works b/c it doesn't have "pristine" white background (just a phone photo). Crossing my fingers.

phltraveler Sep 22, 2022 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler (Post 34539290)
With the pilot now open outside the military I helped my mother submit her renewal on August 9th. Within 10 minutes it went to in process. No updates since. Standard book, standard processing.

I am curious to see where the online processing time actually falls - a couple weeks earlier my brother submitted DS-11 by mail (he lost his passport card hence couldn't renew) and he got his passport with standard processing in less than a month door-to-door. Way less than the promised 8-11 weeks.

Routine renewal standard book + passport card.
Applied/In process: Aug 9th.
Email from DoS that the passport was shipped: Sep 22nd
Estimated arrival: Sep 26th
Actual arrival: September 23rd.

DoS portal includes the tracking number. Tracking and USPS Informed Delivery shows that it's out of Tucson which (to my understanding) is sending all nextgen passport books for standard # of pages. EDIT: Received NGP.

My brother who did DS-11 was marginally faster at a little under 3.5 weeks on a standard application vs. ~6 weeks for my mother, but the renewal time is overall not bad and less than the state department claims right now at 8-11 weeks. Also saved the hassle of mailing postage/etc. and the direct upload of a digital photo (I would note the photo upload tool warned that it considered the background potentially not white and that it might be rejected but allowed an override; seemingly the human being who reviewed her application agreed that it was a white background and allowed the photo.)

estnet Sep 22, 2022 7:03 pm

Well maybe there's hope for me - submitted 8/2, check cashed 8/3 - still in process, sigh. I live in Calif - what state was yours submitted from?

Originally Posted by phltraveler (Post 34622687)
Routine renewal standard book + passport card.
Applied/In process: Aug 9th.
Email from DoS that the passport was shipped: Sep 22nd
Estimated arrival: Sep 26th

DoS portal includes the tracking number. Tracking and USPS Informed Delivery shows that it's out of Tucson which (to my understanding) is sending all nextgen passport books for standard # of pages.

My brother who did DS-11 was marginally faster at a little under 3.5 weeks on a standard application vs. ~6 weeks for my mother, but the renewal time is overall not bad and less than the state department claims right now at 8-11 weeks. Also saved the hassle of mailing postage/etc. and the direct upload of a digital photo (I would note the photo upload tool warned that it considered the background potentially not white and that it might be rejected but allowed an override; seemingly the human being who reviewed her application agreed that it was a white background and allowed the photo.)

phltraveler Sep 26, 2022 6:46 am

Originally Posted by estnet (Post 34622908)
Well maybe there's hope for me - submitted 8/2, check cashed 8/3 - still in process, sigh. I live in Calif - what state was yours submitted from?

New York, but given that it was the online renewal, I'm not sure that it matters (like with the paper DS-11 which directs you to mail the application to different locations based on the state of your residence).

estnet Sep 26, 2022 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler (Post 34631145)
New York, but given that it was the online renewal, I'm not sure that it matters (like with the paper DS-11 which directs you to mail the application to different locations based on the state of your residence).

I assumed that the online was directed to different offices line the paper one based on my state of residence Coming up on 8 weeks and I'm getting anxious ;)

estnet Sep 30, 2022 2:52 pm

Your passport might be "stuck"

Originally Posted by estnet (Post 34632486)
I assumed that the online was directed to different offices line the paper one based on my state of residence Coming up on 8 weeks and I'm getting anxious ;)

So I applied online for renewal 8/2 fee credited 8/3 as of 9/28 still "in process" - my neighbor applie for her childrens renewal with a visit (necessary for child) two weeks after me and received their passports 2 weeks ago.
I have a trip scheduled 10/10
10/28 contacted local senators office - filled out forms for help email they are on it
10/29 notified by senators office passport is on it's way
10/30 passport received (new one I think) - online gov website still says "in process" !!!!
Don't know how to tell where it was issued - now to update my global entry and airline profiles!

eyeNina Nov 4, 2022 1:35 pm

I just wanted to add my experience here since the program is going a wider now. I am not a F&F of a Gov employee, just a standard civilian. The original post is here but condensed for this post below:

I signed up in Aug for the Sept openings. I submitted my application on 9/19 and the book arrived on 10/19 exactly. I did pay for expedited service. The passport card arrived about a week later. On a travel TikTok acct, some people were reporting they got their book in 10 days which seems like it's not possible but who knows. Overall it was a very easy process. The longest wait time was going from submitted/received to Reviewing. Basically it eliminated probably 1-2 weeks of USPS and having your application opened by someone. But the real benefit is eliminating the anxiety of your application to actually arrive and not be lost in the mail and knowing when that clock actually starts for processing.

Timeline is this:
mid-Aug - can't remember exact date but it was maybe a day or two after the Aug submission window closed. I started prepping my digital photo at this point so it was ready in time. I used an online service, which was a waste of $$.
9/19 - received email that online applications were now open to those who registered in Aug. Application completed & submitted for book & card w/ expedited service.
10/12 - received email saying my application was now being reviewed by a DOS employee.
10/17 - received email saying passport book has been shipped cannot use it for international travel.
10/19 - Passport book received.
10/25 - Passport card received.

I noted on my original post that there was no option for a large book, which didn't even register to me until today. My old book was a large w/ extra pages so it was a thick book. Did others have the option to order a large passport book?

Apollosmom Nov 7, 2022 9:36 am

Just submitted my renewal with expedited fee today. Easy process except it took 3 attempts with iPhone to get acceptable pix. I bought 2 sheets of White cardboard from Dollar Tree and simply hung it up on our door so we could get the plain white background. None of local pharmacies are offering digital passport pix…yet.

Status on dashboard reflected in process and credit card was charged on 8 Nov. Friday might, 18 Nov, updated to shipped!

Section 107 Nov 7, 2022 9:46 am

you do not need a passport (US or foreign) to travel domestically within the US. One does not even need an unexpired, government-issued identification card to travel by air - even as the gubmint tries to brainwash everyone into believing one will not be allowed to travel by air without having an unexpired "Real" ID....

Identification | Transportation Security Administration (tsa.gov) scroll down the section "Forgot your ID"....

eyeNina Nov 7, 2022 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Apollosmom (Post 34739490)
Just submitted my renewal with expedited fee today. Easy process except it took 3 attempts with iPhone to get acceptable pix. I bought 2 sheets of White cardboard from Dollar Tree and simply hung it up on our door so we could get the plain white background. None of local pharmacies are offering digital passport pix…yet.

Question…I know my Global Entry/TSA Precheck is tied to my now “cancelled” passport…are you still able to fly CONUS only with TSA Precheck?

Yes your TSA Pre-Check is fine. Only the passport is cancelled so your Drivers License or even Global Entry card are enough to travel with as ID. Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check are connected but technically 2 different products. Like Buy one get one free. lol.