Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Online Passport Renewal Pre-Reg Open for Friends and Family of Gov Employees

Online Passport Renewal Pre-Reg Open for Friends and Family of Gov Employees

Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by phltraveler
With the pilot now open outside the military I helped my mother submit her renewal on August 9th. Within 10 minutes it went to in process. No updates since. Standard book, standard processing.

I am curious to see where the online processing time actually falls - a couple weeks earlier my brother submitted DS-11 by mail (he lost his passport card hence couldn't renew) and he got his passport with standard processing in less than a month door-to-door. Way less than the promised 8-11 weeks.
Routine renewal standard book + passport card.
Applied/In process: Aug 9th.
Email from DoS that the passport was shipped: Sep 22nd
Estimated arrival: Sep 26th
Actual arrival: September 23rd.

DoS portal includes the tracking number. Tracking and USPS Informed Delivery shows that it's out of Tucson which (to my understanding) is sending all nextgen passport books for standard # of pages. EDIT: Received NGP.

My brother who did DS-11 was marginally faster at a little under 3.5 weeks on a standard application vs. ~6 weeks for my mother, but the renewal time is overall not bad and less than the state department claims right now at 8-11 weeks. Also saved the hassle of mailing postage/etc. and the direct upload of a digital photo (I would note the photo upload tool warned that it considered the background potentially not white and that it might be rejected but allowed an override; seemingly the human being who reviewed her application agreed that it was a white background and allowed the photo.)

Last edited by phltraveler; Sep 26, 2022 at 6:47 am
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Well maybe there's hope for me - submitted 8/2, check cashed 8/3 - still in process, sigh. I live in Calif - what state was yours submitted from?

Routine renewal standard book + passport card.
Applied/In process: Aug 9th.
Email from DoS that the passport was shipped: Sep 22nd
Estimated arrival: Sep 26th

DoS portal includes the tracking number. Tracking and USPS Informed Delivery shows that it's out of Tucson which (to my understanding) is sending all nextgen passport books for standard # of pages.

My brother who did DS-11 was marginally faster at a little under 3.5 weeks on a standard application vs. ~6 weeks for my mother, but the renewal time is overall not bad and less than the state department claims right now at 8-11 weeks. Also saved the hassle of mailing postage/etc. and the direct upload of a digital photo (I would note the photo upload tool warned that it considered the background potentially not white and that it might be rejected but allowed an override; seemingly the human being who reviewed her application agreed that it was a white background and allowed the photo.)
Old Sep 26, 2022, 6:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by estnet
Well maybe there's hope for me - submitted 8/2, check cashed 8/3 - still in process, sigh. I live in Calif - what state was yours submitted from?
New York, but given that it was the online renewal, I'm not sure that it matters (like with the paper DS-11 which directs you to mail the application to different locations based on the state of your residence).
Old Sep 26, 2022, 1:28 pm

New York, but given that it was the online renewal, I'm not sure that it matters (like with the paper DS-11 which directs you to mail the application to different locations based on the state of your residence).
I assumed that the online was directed to different offices line the paper one based on my state of residence Coming up on 8 weeks and I'm getting anxious
Old Sep 30, 2022, 2:52 pm

Your passport might be "stuck"

Originally Posted by estnet
I assumed that the online was directed to different offices line the paper one based on my state of residence Coming up on 8 weeks and I'm getting anxious
So I applied online for renewal 8/2 fee credited 8/3 as of 9/28 still "in process" - my neighbor applie for her childrens renewal with a visit (necessary for child) two weeks after me and received their passports 2 weeks ago.
I have a trip scheduled 10/10
10/28 contacted local senators office - filled out forms for help email they are on it
10/29 notified by senators office passport is on it's way
10/30 passport received (new one I think) - online gov website still says "in process" !!!!
Don't know how to tell where it was issued - now to update my global entry and airline profiles!

Last edited by estnet; Sep 30, 2022 at 2:58 pm
Old Nov 4, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/OW Sapphire, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
I just wanted to add my experience here since the program is going a wider now. I am not a F&F of a Gov employee, just a standard civilian. The original post is here but condensed for this post below:

I signed up in Aug for the Sept openings. I submitted my application on 9/19 and the book arrived on 10/19 exactly. I did pay for expedited service. The passport card arrived about a week later. On a travel TikTok acct, some people were reporting they got their book in 10 days which seems like it's not possible but who knows. Overall it was a very easy process. The longest wait time was going from submitted/received to Reviewing. Basically it eliminated probably 1-2 weeks of USPS and having your application opened by someone. But the real benefit is eliminating the anxiety of your application to actually arrive and not be lost in the mail and knowing when that clock actually starts for processing.

Timeline is this:
mid-Aug - can't remember exact date but it was maybe a day or two after the Aug submission window closed. I started prepping my digital photo at this point so it was ready in time. I used an online service, which was a waste of $$.
9/19 - received email that online applications were now open to those who registered in Aug. Application completed & submitted for book & card w/ expedited service.
10/12 - received email saying my application was now being reviewed by a DOS employee.
10/17 - received email saying passport book has been shipped cannot use it for international travel.
10/19 - Passport book received.
10/25 - Passport card received.

I noted on my original post that there was no option for a large book, which didn't even register to me until today. My old book was a large w/ extra pages so it was a thick book. Did others have the option to order a large passport book?
Old Nov 7, 2022, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Premier,, AAdvantage Gold, InterContinental Ambassador
Just submitted my renewal with expedited fee today. Easy process except it took 3 attempts with iPhone to get acceptable pix. I bought 2 sheets of White cardboard from Dollar Tree and simply hung it up on our door so we could get the plain white background. None of local pharmacies are offering digital passport pix…yet.

Status on dashboard reflected in process and credit card was charged on 8 Nov. Friday might, 18 Nov, updated to shipped!

Last edited by Apollosmom; Nov 20, 2022 at 5:11 pm Reason: Update to timeline
Old Nov 7, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
you do not need a passport (US or foreign) to travel domestically within the US. One does not even need an unexpired, government-issued identification card to travel by air - even as the gubmint tries to brainwash everyone into believing one will not be allowed to travel by air without having an unexpired "Real" ID....

Identification | Transportation Security Administration (tsa.gov) scroll down the section "Forgot your ID"....
Old Nov 7, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Platinum/OW Sapphire, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Apollosmom
Just submitted my renewal with expedited fee today. Easy process except it took 3 attempts with iPhone to get acceptable pix. I bought 2 sheets of White cardboard from Dollar Tree and simply hung it up on our door so we could get the plain white background. None of local pharmacies are offering digital passport pix…yet.

Question…I know my Global Entry/TSA Precheck is tied to my now “cancelled” passport…are you still able to fly CONUS only with TSA Precheck?
Yes your TSA Pre-Check is fine. Only the passport is cancelled so your Drivers License or even Global Entry card are enough to travel with as ID. Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check are connected but technically 2 different products. Like Buy one get one free. lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.