FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   USA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa-738/)
-   -   When will healthy adults get COVID vaccine? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa/2032370-when-will-healthy-adults-get-covid-vaccine.html)

Colin Jan 12, 2021 9:28 pm

When will healthy adults get COVID vaccine?

Assume you are a healthy under 65 adult w/ no special early access from a job or family member

over/under - Apr 1st

i’ll take the under.

prebutting the tool, it’s a guess. lighten up.

Efrem Jan 12, 2021 10:22 pm

Depends on where you are. At this point, every U.S. state is doing its own thing - to say nothing of FT being international.

Duke787 Jan 12, 2021 10:41 pm

Highly dependent. Here in NC healthy adults under 65 is phase 4 (really should be Phase 5 since Phase 1 is split into 1A and 1B). Most of the state is still in 1A though Duke Hospital has moved to 1B.

My current mindset is to be pessimistic so take the over on April 1 and be pleasantly surprised (relieved) if it comes sooner.

yyznomad Jan 12, 2021 10:49 pm

Where I will be... I'm going with over.

RustyC Jan 12, 2021 11:15 pm

Georgia's not doing a great job so far, apparently.

There was a report on NBC News tonight with Lester Holt where they quoted some people saying to just push it out to maximize shots (e.g. open stadiums for it) and don't worry about priorities as much or saving up second doses or that kind of thing.

To be able to do that you'd need a lot of supply, and they seemed to be saying that supply is outracing administered shots by a widening margin.

I don't think we're quite there yet and they're probably going to keep prioritizing 65+ as long as they keep showing up. I'm not 65 but do qualify for the more lenient senior discounts like IHOP, and more importantly have some co-morbidities, so the Georgia plan as it stands is a disadvantage for those like me and hopefully they can swing it open sooner. Biden should look at which states have the worst situations (they're all hurting for revenue) and send federal resources like the military if needed to speed it up. Delays = more deaths, which is a point the experts NBC talked to also made.

dhuey Jan 12, 2021 11:48 pm

I keep seeing reports of how so many people say they will not get the vaccine. I suppose that's a problem from a public health standpoint, but I can't help but think of the personal upside of not having to wait in line behind these folks.

runnerwallah Jan 13, 2021 12:59 am

I am surprised that the elderly were prioritized over the younger, active working population in the US. Perhaps it shows where the true political capital lies (but that is a discussion for bad OMNI!)

I suspect that if vaccination continues at a slow rate AND the economy sputters further, most companies will offer vaccinations on-site and shoulder any costs. They will rationalize those costs as being worth it. Prior companies already did it for the flu vaccines.

Maybe restaurants will even give vaccination discounts to customers who got their shots.

I'm still taking the over.

BamaVol Jan 13, 2021 1:04 am

Phase 1 here in FL is nursing homes, assisted living, front line medical and over 65’s. The over 65 population is 4.5 million, they say and so far they’ve distributed to less than 10% of that. Doses are coming in 100,000 and a little above per week. It’s gonna take a long time at that rate. We have a governor who’d like to please everyone first. Cant be done. I’ve been trying to get an appointment anywhere nearby and most fill in a matter of minutes within being announced. The alternative is the first come drive through which shut almost immediately after opening. People are lining up at 1:00 am for a 9:00 gate opening. I think the governor will open the flooodgates to the general population once half of phase 1 is complete. That could still be 2 months out. And just try and get a shot then! That’s why I’m doing everything I can to get one before the next phase. So Yeah, April 1 but most people won’t be able to get the vaccine for months after that.

chrisl137 Jan 13, 2021 1:56 am

Seems super slow here, but they're talking about setting up huge site (dodger stadium) assuming they get the vaccine quantities they need.

I'm apparently 1c because I'm over 50, but I'm healthy and can work from home indefinitely, so if there are shortages I'm fine with waiting a bit.

Boggie Dog Jan 13, 2021 7:07 am

Originally Posted by runnerwallah (Post 32964035)
I am surprised that the elderly were prioritized over the younger, active working population in the US. Perhaps it shows where the true political capital lies (but that is a discussion for bad OMNI!)

I suspect that if vaccination continues at a slow rate AND the economy sputters further, most companies will offer vaccinations on-site and shoulder any costs. They will rationalize those costs as being worth it. Prior companies already did it for the flu vaccines.

Maybe restaurants will even give vaccination discounts to customers who got their shots.

I'm still taking the over.

The elderly have worse outcomes from COVID-19 and end up putting a larger burden on healthcare resources.

Immunization roll out in my community has been terrible. No coordination or easy to obtain information. Not even sure what the status of vaccine supplies are being made available. No evidence but suspect the privileged are being accommodated before the general public.

gfunkdave Jan 13, 2021 7:42 am

My doctor told me to expect June/July and be pleasantly surprised if it’s sooner.

MissJ Jan 13, 2021 7:58 am

I've never once been glad to have an underlying condition until now. Still seems like it will be forever though.

SkiAdcock Jan 13, 2021 8:30 am

I've always anticipated it would be June/July for me. No reason to think earlier (much as I'd like it to).

Cheers.

OccasionalFlyerPerson Jan 13, 2021 8:35 am

The online calculator from the UK says I'm in late May or early June. That's the official time according to the vaccination queue calculator.

However, when it's my turn I then have to go and find out if I'm already vaccinated or not. And if I am, I don't get vaccinated again.

And, I've already been offered leftover vaccine, but I had to refuse it.

pinniped Jan 13, 2021 8:40 am

Originally Posted by OccasionalFlyerPerson (Post 32964767)
However, when it's my turn I then have to go and find out if I'm already vaccinated or not. And if I am, I don't get vaccinated again.

:confused: How would you not know whether or not you've had a covid vaccine?

And, I've already been offered leftover vaccine, but I had to refuse it.
If it was offered, why did you have to refuse? I certainly respect the priorities that have been laid out, but if they get to the point where there are leftover vaccines and they're looking for any arm to inject them into so they aren't wasted, I will take one.