Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International visit to the US and subsequent domestic travel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2020, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

International visit to the US and subsequent domestic travel

I'm currently working in the NY and my OH is thinking of visiting for Christmas and we plan to go skiing in California.

He is a UK citizen and is based in London but he will work from home from a country not on the restricted listed for 14 days before flying over. (Glad his job is fairly flexible in that respect!)

Currently there are two plans.

Plan 1

He will come to New York and WFH from there for two weeks thereby satisfying the 14 day self-isolation requirement by the NY Gov

We will then travel to California together and ski for a week and fly back to NY. We will stay in NY for another week before flying to London together.

Plan 2

He will come to New York and will fly to California on the same day thereby satisfying the passage requirement set by the NY Gov.

We will then travel to California together and ski for a week and fly back to NY. We will stay in NY for another week before flying to London together.

I have a few questions.

1 If he comes to NY a few days before flying to CA (i.e. neither plan above), presumably he will be in breach of the quarantine rule. As this is a domestic flight, will he get found out (his passport will be stamped upon entry to the US)

2 Similar question on the way back. Currently there are no restrictions for travelling from CA to NY but this may change. If this does change and NY Gov imposes quarantine for CA visitors will we be allowed to board the flight to London which will be a week after we fly back from CA. In theory since this is a domestic flight there is no way they could tell from our passport we’ve been away from the NY state?

3 Currently there are no travel restrictions on travel to CA within the US. Will he need to self-isolate upon landing in CA under plan 2? My research suggests not but I’d like to double check.

4 When flying between NY and CA, does TSA flip through your passport to see your arrival date/visa etc? Could you be denied boarding because you breach the 14 day quarantine rule?

Obviously if CA imposes self-isolation on visitors then there’s nothing we can do and we will cancel the trip altogether.

I want to add that we have no intention to flout the rules. I’m just trying to be more informed so that we can make sure we don’t break the rules.

I hope I have covered all (well, most) the possible scenarios. Happy for any other suggestions to get round this. Only requirement is that the international flights have to arrive/depart from NY.

Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Plan 2 seems simpler and less chaotic given the unknown state of things. I'd minimize my traveling and stick to one or two destinations.

1. If he's traveling from another country to NY I'm not sure quarantine rules apply, as I've only seen the NY gov't reference other states requiring quarantine.
2. According to FAQs from NY:
I am only passing through designated states for less than 24 hours through my course of travel. Do I need to quarantine?

No. Individuals passing through a designated state for less than 24 hours, such as stopping at rest stops for vehicles, buses, and/or trains; or lay-overs for air travel, bus travel, or train travel, are not required to quarantine.

andI am a resident of a designated state and will be visiting family in NYS for less than 14 days. Will I have to quarantine in NYS for the full 14 days?

While in New York State, you will need to maintain quarantine for 14 days from the last day you were in a designated state(s). If you are in New York State for less than 14 days, you will need to quarantine for the entire time you are in New York and, to protect the public wherever you are, you should complete the remainder of the 14-day period quarantine period in your home upon return to a designated state.
3. There is currently no statewide quarantine in effect in California

4. TSA will not enforce state mandated shelter in place laws or quarantine laws. They are a federal agency, they're to screen passengers and baggage.

As a final heads up many ski resorts in California, and presumably elsewhere throughout the US, are reducing capacity for the season. Giving first priority to season pass holders, several resorts have also set up reservations in advance. Walk up or single day tickets will likely be hard to get or not available on busy dates, especially the week before and after Christmas.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 8:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Check out this thread in the Coronavirus and travel forum:
Old Oct 21, 2020, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
I think that the OP is worried about the NY quarantine rather than the presidential proclamation as he indicated that his guest would be staying in another country which doesn't have a travel ban for the last 14 days before arriving to the USA.

Also, for question 4 in part 2, the TSA does not have the authorization to fine somebody according to the NY state quarantine rule. Also, for the NY state quarantine, passengers are allowed to leave their self-isolation area if they are leaving the state. This would not be something illegal and against the law.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.