Search

Way to Apply For New/Second Passport While Keeping Current Passport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2022, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I'll probably apply inside the US, at a passport office (since it's rare that I stay in the US for more than 2 weeks at a time, I probably won't have time to wait for a passport to get mailed back).
Doing it in-person at US passport offices for in-person pick-up is the better way to go if doing it in the US. And usually they will turn back a 4-year one for a 4-year one if the justification for the secondary passport is still accepted as being applicable.

For a variety of reasons, for persons who are mostly abroad, I recommend doing this stuff in-person at US embassies/consulates closest to where a person spends the plurality/majority of their time — if it’s not too inconvenient to do so.
PVDtoDEL likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 9:32 am
Suspended

Came across what may be a useful template letter:

Due to the restrictive entry policies of one or more of the countries that I will be visiting, the prolonged processing delays required to obtain visas for my current and upcoming travels, and the need to be in possession of a passport as ID for presentation while awaiting the processing of visas or other other foreign government documents, it is not readily possible for me to complete my trips utilizing my current passport.

Consequently, I am hereby requesting that I be issued a second passport to enable my travels to and presence in the countries provided on my passport application. I understand that the second passport will be limited for 4 years of validity from the date of issue and that I may reapply at the end of that period if my need for such to travel to and presence in the aforementioned countries continues.

Should either passport (or a passport card) be lost or stolen, I will immediately report the circumstances to the US Passport Office or the nearest U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

Name:
Signature:
Date:
guflyer likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Came across what may be a useful template letter:
What level of scrutiny/verification do claims for a 2nd pp typically receive?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Section 107
What level of scrutiny/verification do claims for a 2nd pp typically receive?
Level of scrutiny/verification for claimed need of a person to keep current passport while the person is applying for and awaiting the issue of a full-duration or "emergency" renewal passport? Depends on where the person applies, but it's not a whole lot of scrutiny up-front or even later if applying for such outside of the US and doing so in-person. But then the person has to turn in the older passport prior to getting the renewal/replacement handed over.

Level of scrutiny/verification for claimed need of a person to keep current passport while the person is applying for and awaiting the issue of a second passport (with a 4-year validity period)? Depends on where the person applies and on the representation/application details, but there's a more skeptical approach to this than to the former even when applying for such outside of the US. The level of up-front scrutiny/verification varies.

Always keep in mind that the representations made as part of the application are signed/dated and can be used as grounds that cause the applicant future inconvenience -- or potentially worse -- if engaged in willful misrepresentations during the application process.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:48 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Level of scrutiny/verification for claimed need of a person to keep current passport while the person is applying for and awaiting the issue of a full-duration or "emergency" renewal passport? Depends on where the person applies, but it's not a whole lot of scrutiny up-front or even later if applying for such outside of the US and doing so in-person. But then the person has to turn in the older passport prior to getting the renewal/replacement handed over.

Level of scrutiny/verification for claimed need of a person to keep current passport while the person is applying for and awaiting the issue of a second passport (with a 4-year validity period)? Depends on where the person applies and on the representation/application details, but there's a more skeptical approach to this than to the former even when applying for such outside of the US. The level of up-front scrutiny/verification varies.

Always keep in mind that the representations made as part of the application are signed/dated and can be used as grounds that cause the applicant future inconvenience -- or potentially worse -- if engaged in willful misrepresentations during the application process.
that's a good response for a public chat board....
Old Jan 14, 2022, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Section 107
that's a good response for a public chat board....
That's one of the many contributions of GUWonder as a long time FlyerTalker and (almost) the highest number of posts of all FlyerTalkers on FlyerTalk.

David
Old Jul 16, 2022, 7:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Three years ago I had to make a trip to Canada just about the time I needed to submit my passport to France for a visa. That taught me about the possibility of a second passport ... which I got in the nick of time.

My second passport expires next summer, about a month ahead of my primary (10-year) passport, with both expiring just ahead of my current French visa, which I may well want to renew. It is unclear whether I will be in France or the U.S. at that time (the June through July period when all of this is happening), whether I will want to (or be able to renew the French visa (long-stay permit) then, and/or whatever travel I may have during that period and/or a few months beforehand. I also know from experience renewing French visas over the last three years that it is not a process one can "force" -- you operate on their schedule and their process.

Those are the "facts" (true!) to which I would/will be willing to attest in a letter similar to that posted by GUWonder, above. With that as backdrop, here are my understandings, thoughts, and preferences. I would welcome the thoughts and corrections of others.
  1. I would like to get my passport renewal process started sooner rather than later.
  2. Given the level of uncertainty in my future "positioning," it will be desirable to keep the second passport.
  3. Second passports can be renewed, but they require a specific justification as per when they were granted initially.
    1. I don't have the same specific, "need it now" reason I did when I applied initially.
    2. But I do think I have a reasonable claim on the kind of "can't be two places at the same time" uncertainty that I outlined above.
  4. This is where my thoughts turn from suppositions to questions:
    1. In which order should I attempt to renew the passports? My initial thought had been to start with the second passport, as it is my backup in case things get complicated with my primary passport later. Having read this thread, I am wondering if I am thinking about this right.
    2. When should I begin the renewal process? When can I begin it? My preference would be to do what I can by mail, from the U.S. when I am there, relying on having two passports to make the possible timing hiccups less worrisome.
As I said above, thanks in advance for advice and comments.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 3:30 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Three years ago I had to make a trip to Canada just about the time I needed to submit my passport to France for a visa. That taught me about the possibility of a second passport ... which I got in the nick of time.

My second passport expires next summer, about a month ahead of my primary (10-year) passport, with both expiring just ahead of my current French visa, which I may well want to renew. It is unclear whether I will be in France or the U.S. at that time (the June through July period when all of this is happening), whether I will want to (or be able to renew the French visa (long-stay permit) then, and/or whatever travel I may have during that period and/or a few months beforehand. I also know from experience renewing French visas over the last three years that it is not a process one can "force" -- you operate on their schedule and their process.

Those are the "facts" (true!) to which I would/will be willing to attest in a letter similar to that posted by GUWonder, above. With that as backdrop, here are my understandings, thoughts, and preferences. I would welcome the thoughts and corrections of others.
  1. I would like to get my passport renewal process started sooner rather than later.
  2. Given the level of uncertainty in my future "positioning," it will be desirable to keep the second passport.
  3. Second passports can be renewed, but they require a specific justification as per when they were granted initially.
    1. I don't have the same specific, "need it now" reason I did when I applied initially.
    2. But I do think I have a reasonable claim on the kind of "can't be two places at the same time" uncertainty that I outlined above.
    1. In which order should I attempt to renew the passports? My initial thought had been to start with the second passport, as it is my backup in case things get complicated with my primary passport later. Having read this thread, I am wondering if I am thinking about this right.
    2. When should I begin the renewal process? When can I begin it? My preference would be to do what I can by mail, from the U.S. when I am there, relying on having two passports to make the possible timing hiccups less worrisome.
are the two passports both US issued ones?
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Yes; both US passports.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Yes; both US passports.
If you are currently overseas? Go to the embassy/ consular office to explain why you need two. If stateside go to a physical passport office.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 9:36 am

In-person renewal and obtain second passport at the same time possible?

I have an appointment November 21, at the Atlanta Passport Agency, to get my passport renewed, prior to an upcoming trip departing Nov. 23

In addition, I also want to apply for a second passport.

Can I do both at the same appointment?

I travel 6-7 months at a time, and it's very hard to be travelling while simultaneously getting visas, thus the need for a second passport.

Last edited by jchock1; Nov 11, 2022 at 2:49 pm
Old Nov 12, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by jchock1
I have an appointment November 21, at the Atlanta Passport Agency, to get my passport renewed, prior to an upcoming trip departing Nov. 23

In addition, I also want to apply for a second passport.

Can I do both at the same appointment?

I travel 6-7 months at a time, and it's very hard to be travelling while simultaneously getting visas, thus the need for a second passport.
Yes, you can.
Just explain your reason and/or provide a written reason.
Most likely they may ask for proof of travel, reason written on official letterhead, or they may ask you write a reason in front them. This is one of the reasons why you can get a second passport.

If approved, you will get a (regular) 10 year passport and one 4 year passport.
ExpatExp and GUWonder like this.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
1.) Always a good idea, if you can remember to do this.
2.) This likely isn't going to be a good justification to get a second passport. The DOS is wary about giving out second passports unless it's an "I need it now" and I turned in my 10 year to foreign authorities for processing and I have a upcoming flight.

3.) I doubt you have a claim and I don't think a supervisor at the passport agency will approve it, but you can try. You may get a flat out denial or a letter requesting more information for the need of a second passport.

4.) Correct, the second passport. That's always going to be a 4 year passport.
I recommend renewing any US Passport 1 year in advance of the expiration date. 1 year goes by fast and that's more than enough time to account the slowest processing time of 11-12 weeks.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 7:14 pm
Suspended

“I need it ahead” has been accepted as a reason for issuing secondary US passports to individuals.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by i0wnj00
Yes, you can.
Just explain your reason and/or provide a written reason.
Most likely they may ask for proof of travel, reason written on official letterhead, or they may ask you write a reason in front them. This is one of the reasons why you can get a second passport.

If approved, you will get a (regular) 10 year passport and one 4 year passport.

So to follow up, it was very easy to get a second passport and my renewal at the same time at the Atlanta Passport Agency. . Took less than 20 minutes to drop off the applications, including proof of travel. Arrived 20 minutes early for my 11am appointment, and was done by 11. Passports were ready to pick up promptly at 230pm same day. Very friendly and helpful staff.

No one asked any questions about why I needed a second passport. I had printed and signed the letter on the state department website stating the need for a second passport, but they had a slightly different version they wanted completed at the agency.

The passports are the new generation ones. As an added bonus, the two passport numbers are sequential, so easy to remember.

Last edited by jchock1; Nov 22, 2022 at 8:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.