Wiki Posts
Search

Long USA arrival immgration lines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Long USA arrival immgration lines

Now hearing about the long queues at US airports and need to connect in IAH to last flight to DFW. Any news on that?
I wanna go home!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 15, 2020 at 1:04 pm Reason: split post
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:52 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Post Coronavirus Screening Causes 7-Hour Waits in Crowded Lines at U.S. Airports

CHICAGO — There were cryptic and confusing announcements in midair. Long lines to clear Customs. And waits of as long as seven hours in crowds with other travelers.

As the federal government rushed on Saturday to implement President Trump’s restrictions on travel from Europe, part of an effort to stop the spread of the coronavirus, chaos ensued at some of America’s biggest airports.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/u...rt-delays.html
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:11 am

Apparently it wasn't just ORD. Here's a report from DFW:

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03...e-dfw-airport/
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
We can only speculate about how many new infections were caused by people being forced to wait so long in lines so close to many other travelers.
wk989 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: Northwest, United
How are things at SFO?

I’m flying in from Turkey to SFO tomorrow (arriving Monday late afternoon), and have about 3.5 hours to connect to my onward domestic flight home. Ordinarily that would be unnecessarily long, but if the nightmares reported in ORD and DFW happen to passengers arriving at SFO, too, I could easily miss my connection and be stuck in the airport all night.

Has anyone gone through SFO international arrivals since the new restrictions went into place (or heard from anyone who has)? How long a delay should I expect getting “screened”?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by chavala
Now hearing about the long queues at US airports and need to connect in IAH to last flight to DFW. Any news on that?
Lots of stories on the wire this morning about 4+ hour lines at US airports for arriving US citizens. Medical screening only takes a minute or so per individual, but when you have many hundreds per hour arriving, it stacks up quickly. Note that Global Entry or Kiosk entry does not help.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by glbltvlr
Medical screening only takes a minute or so per individual, but when you have many hundreds per hour arriving, it stacks up quickly.
Not to mention lack of planning. Leading to conditions (long waits in crowded quarters) which only increase the risks of transmission.
GUWonder and AeRoSpaceman like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 15, 2020 at 11:24 am Reason: Let's aviod going OMNI
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not to mention lack of planning. Leading to conditions (long waits in crowded quarters) which only increase the risks of transmission.
First-hand report of inane response.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ge%2Fstory-ans

I'm a subscriber, so I don't know if this'll hit a paywall, but WP sent notice that coronavirus material might be available w.o. subscription

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 15, 2020 at 11:25 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:53 am

Wow look at the loads on these EWR-SFO flights. J going out half empty, Y deserted. Bunch of wide bodies, more so than usual.

Not good. Won’t be surprised if UA starts consolidating theses flights soon.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:54 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
First-hand report of inane response.
Here's a choice quote from the other, who arrived IAD from VIE on Friday:
Upon landing, I spent three hours in a jammed immigration hall trying to decide which analogy fit better: the ignorant Middle Ages during the plague years or the most chaotic airport in the least developed country.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:03 am

Coronavirus or not, this CBP madness where people of all origins have to queue for hours in close quarters needs to stop, once and for all. It's a health and safety risk, not only for them but also for CBP officers and for us, US citizens. It also gives visitors a very poor first impression of our country, as if they were entering the third world.

After this crisis ends, it's time to drastically expand the number of pre-clearance facilities, especially in those airports sending most travelers to the US. The proposition to those airports should be clear: build the CBP facility or lose travel privileges to the US.
Revelate and Deckter like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mozilla
It also gives visitors a very poor first impression of our country, as if they were entering the third world.
Don’t worry. With 3-4 hour lines all last summer, and staff running around shouting at people, visitors already have a very poor first impression.
SJOGuy and ExecPlat81 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Don’t worry. With 3-4 hour lines all last summer, and staff running around shouting at people, visitors already have a very poor first impression.
And with all the recent travel restrictions, it's going to get very quiet very quickly.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by glbltvlr
Lots of stories on the wire this morning about 4+ hour lines at US airports for arriving US citizens. Medical screening only takes a minute or so per individual, but when you have many hundreds per hour arriving, it stacks up quickly. Note that Global Entry or Kiosk entry does not help.
Global Entry doesn’t help????
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read they were asking the questions at the customs exit. Not immigration

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.