Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Starting in San Fran, fly to next in USA

Starting in San Fran, fly to next in USA

Old Mar 6, 20, 1:16 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4
Starting in San Fran, fly to next in USA

Hello All

We do a yearly trip to San Fran. After a week, we spend two weeks travelling on the West Coast. We hire a car and have had a lot of fun in the box of Crescent City, Salt Lake City, Glen Canyon, Vegas, Bakersfield.

I am looking for a "where next". Ideas so far have been:

Bounce onto Hawaii ( I think that means we will need to get to LAX)
Drive to Pheonix

Where else ?

Trip is in Jan/Feb - Dont care about temp, but don't fancy wet.We enjoy walking around and exploring be it cities or countryside.

We normally fly BA / AA / Oneworld...

thanks for all the ideas

cheers

ian
Ian Tracey is offline  
Old Mar 6, 20, 7:53 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Back to London...... bye Florida
Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Posts: 5,059
Originally Posted by Ian Tracey View Post
Hello All

We do a yearly trip to San Fran. After a week, we spend two weeks travelling on the West Coast. We hire a car and have had a lot of fun in the box of Crescent City, Salt Lake City, Glen Canyon, Vegas, Bakersfield.

I am looking for a "where next". Ideas so far have been:

Bounce onto Hawaii ( I think that means we will need to get to LAX)
Drive to Pheonix

Where else ?

Trip is in Jan/Feb - Dont care about temp, but don't fancy wet.We enjoy walking around and exploring be it cities or countryside.

We normally fly BA / AA / Oneworld...

thanks for all the ideas

cheers

ian

Have you done Sedona/Flagstaff? Lots of Native American ruins all over. Very interesting if you haven't seen them.
trooper, strickerj and Ian Tracey like this.
MoreMilesPlease is offline  
Old Mar 7, 20, 10:18 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, California
Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Posts: 129
You don't need to get to LAX to fly to Hawaii. There are many flight to Hawaii from bay area airports. And if you want to stick to BA partners, AS (Alaska Airlines) flies to several Hawaiian destinations from SFO, OAK, and SJC.
sooge_sj is offline  
Old Mar 7, 20, 10:36 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Slightly to the left of center
Posts: 3,474
Sacramento (midtown/old town)
Then drive up I-80 east toward Nevada
-Auburn - lovely town, also the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foresthill_Bridge
-Reno
-Virginia City - stunning scenery, history, museums
https://visitvirginiacitynv.com/
Ian Tracey likes this.
DBCme is offline  
Old Mar 8, 20, 7:23 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SFO
Posts: 1,297
Joshua Tree National Park, Salton Sea, us-50 from Sacramento to Big Basin National park. Death Valley. Grand Canyon. Monument Valley. Canyonlands. St George, Utah. Vegas. Mount Charelston. Red Rock Canyon.

All of that is drivable, maybe not in that order. Check out Fresno and Bakersfield, because why not. Check put California City.

If you want to hop a plane, Texas and New Mexico.

El Paso, White Sands. Cloudcroft. Carelsbad Canyon. Marfa. Big Bend National Park. Drive Texas FM-170.

Skip Hawaii

Also, this being January- remember Snow in the mountains can be unpredictable.
Ian Tracey likes this.
returnoftheyeti is offline  
Old Mar 9, 20, 2:14 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4
Thanks - not done flagstaff, will get onto the net and look around...Ta
Ian Tracey is offline  
Old Mar 9, 20, 2:17 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post
If you want to hop a plane, Texas and New Mexico.

El Paso, White Sands. Cloudcroft. Carelsbad Canyon. Marfa. Big Bend National Park. Drive Texas FM-170.
.
More of what we were thinking - trying to tie it into the LHR - SFO flight, but think it might be cheaper to buy seperate tickets.

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post
Skip Hawaii
Why do you say that ? Hassle of getting there or disappointment when we get there?

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti View Post
Also, this being January- remember Snow in the mountains can be unpredictable
.
Thats certainly true - and if not snow, heavy rain...

thanks

ian
Ian Tracey is offline  
Old Mar 9, 20, 2:18 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4
Thanks - will check them out.
Ian Tracey is offline  
Old Mar 9, 20, 2:20 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 29,538
Go to Hawaii but don't stay in Honolulu. You won't regret this extremely beautiful string of islands.
LondonElite is online now  
Old Mar 9, 20, 6:17 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SFO
Posts: 1,297
Originally Posted by Ian Tracey View Post
More of what we were thinking - trying to tie it into the LHR - SFO flight, but think it might be cheaper to buy seperate tickets.



Why do you say that ? Hassle of getting there or disappointment when we get there?



Thats certainly true - and if not snow, heavy rain...

thanks

ian
There is just so much to see in California. You can drive South on Highway 1. Hit all the sites. Elephant Seals. Big Sur Highway. Hears Castle. Bixby Bridge. Then Malibu, Hollywood, Santa Monica, Downtown LA. Keep going south. San Diego zoo, San Diego. Anza-Borrego. And you still have to drive back north with toms more to see.

Why spend 5 hours on a plane, when California has so much.
returnoftheyeti is offline  
Old Mar 9, 20, 6:18 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SFO
Posts: 1,297
Originally Posted by Ian Tracey View Post
More of what we were thinking - trying to tie it into the LHR - SFO flight, but think it might be cheaper to buy seperate tickets.



Why do you say that ? Hassle of getting there or disappointment when we get there?



Thats certainly true - and if not snow, heavy rain...

thanks

ian
There is just so much to see in California. You can drive South on Highway 1. Hit all the sites. Elephant Seals. Big Sur Highway. Hears Castle. Bixby Bridge. Then Malibu, Hollywood, Santa Monica, Downtown LA. Keep going south. San Diego zoo, San Diego. Anza-Borrego. And you still have to drive back north with toms more to see.

Why spend 5 hours on a plane, when California has so much.
returnoftheyeti is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: