Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

USA airports with rail service (Merged)

Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: choster
Rail station located in or walkable from terminal building
ATL, BWI (light rail), CLE, DCA, DEN, DFW, ORD, MDW, MIA, MSP, OAK, PDX, PHL, PVD, SBN, SEA, SFO, SLC, STL

Direct shuttle bus/tram/monorail/etc. to rail station
BOS, BUR, BWI (MARC), EWR (NJ Transit), JFK (NYC Subway, LIRR), LAX, MKE, PHX

City bus or other to rail station
BLV, BUF, DAL, IAD, LGA, MSY, SAN, SJC, SMF

No practical connection to local rail transit
BDL, HOU, IAH, LAS, LGB, MCI, ORF, PIT, TPA
Print Wikipost

USA airports with rail service (Merged)

Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Two similar thread in the same USA forum have been merged by the moderator.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
BOS has been connected to the Blue Line since the 50s.
You mean by bus? If the Blue Line does not reach the terminal, how is it "connected" to the airport?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:30 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by s0ssos
You mean by bus? If the Blue Line does not reach the terminal, how is it "connected" to the airport?
The station is on airport property...
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
IAD should be this year. Unless something like BER happens.
Nope. The 2020 date was as phony as the rest. Now they're saying mid-2021.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Several decades ago, I rated airports thusly:

Grade A: Has metrorail (rapid transit) to downtown.
Grade B: Has transit bus service to downtown.
Grade C: Only taxis and limos (add Uber, etc. for the current day and age).
Boston (BOS) gets an A-minus. You have to take a short bus shuttle through mixed traffic to get to the rapid transit (Blue Line) station. That station got relocated a few years ago, not sure whether it is still on airport property. There was a proposal to loop the Blue Line through the airport and then back to its regular route but I really do not favor that, instead suggesting some kind of back and forth monorail or elevated tram. Boston now has a "tunnel bus" that is free from the airport to downtown including connection to other subway lines but that gets mired down in traffic.for the first few miles out of the airport.
Honolulu (HNL) gets a C. Although there is bus service, you may not bring baggage aboard.
San Francisco (SFO) still got my B way back when despite this: I remember the driver of the 7-F (freeway express bus) tell me, "No baggage allowed, take the 7-B" (local surface streets bus). Haven't been back since to see how close BART rail extensions have reached.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by AllanJ
Haven't been back since to see how close BART rail extensions have reached.
It must have been quite a while - BART has gone directly into the international terminal at SF since 2003.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by PDXpress
It ain't Europe, but come on:
SEA, PDX, SFO, OAK, DEN, ATL, JFK, ORD... There's more, that's just what I've used personally.
There is also PHX. Yes, Phoenix, with a line that connects to both ends of town.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: Alaska, Hilton, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Several decades ago, I rated airports thusly:

Haven't been back since to see how close BART rail extensions have reached.
When I consulted in San Francisco in the mid 90s, air commuting each week, many were the times when BART would whisk me from my downtown hotel under all the traffic to its terminus in a quiet cemetery distant from the airport (Colma). Then it was a two-hour wait for a connecting bus. Now the airport station is finally open.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Boston (BOS) gets an A-minus. You have to take a short bus shuttle through mixed traffic to get to the rapid transit (Blue Line) station. That station got relocated a few years ago, not sure whether it is still on airport property. There was a proposal to loop the Blue Line through the airport and then back to its regular route but I really do not favor that, instead suggesting some kind of back and forth monorail or elevated tram. Boston now has a "tunnel bus" that is free from the airport to downtown including connection to other subway lines but that gets mired down in traffic.for the first few miles out of the airport.
Silverline to South Station then Commuter Rail to Attleboro where my friends from Woonsocket pick me up. Easy peasy (and usually lots cheaper than flights to PVD).
Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer
STL, MDW, BWI, DFW, IAD (soon), MCO (soon, may beat IAD ), PHL, DCA. Many others (SAN, MKE, SJC, BUR, DAL, SBN ..) have easy access from rail to airport via a quick bus ride.
SBN airport has a direct train service from Chicago. I have used it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_...tional_Airport
The airport is one of the few multi-modal transportation facilities in America that provide air, interstate bus and interstate rail service at one terminal. The St. Joseph County Airport Authority claims the airport was the first truly multi-modal airport in the country. As of 2019, interstate bus services have been moved to the downtown South Bend bus station.
<snip>
Ground TransportationThe South Shore Line commuter rail runs from South Bend Airport station to Millennium Station in downtown Chicago, with express services taking 1 hour and 55 minutes.[21] South Bend Transpo bus route 4 serves the airport.[22]
So Grade B, as post 20 [not from down town]

To me "easy access from rail to airport via a quick bus ride" is off topic for this thread.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 2, 2020 at 8:54 pm
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
SBN airport has a direct train service from Chicago. I have used it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Bend_International_Airport

You are right, I was thinking the station was just off airport property similar to Burbank, but the station is directly in the airport terminal.

And by quick bus service, I was basically implying there was an designated rail station but is was just off property and required a shuttle bus, similar to long term parking at many airports. MKE, SJC and BUR all have this, and even things like Amtrak at BWI and Metra at ORD are similar. I would consider all of those "airports served by rail service".

SAN and DAL are a bit more of a stretch as they happen to have rail stations that are relatively close to airports, but you have to take a city bus to get to the terminal.

Last edited by KBMIFlyer; Mar 3, 2020 at 9:47 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.