Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Southern America.- Deep South.

Old Nov 17, 19, 2:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

What's the best state to do a foodie tour ? I love the idea of the deep south. Being from Australia, I only have had limited exposure to smoked meats, chilli beef and fried chicken.

Which state should I start with? Carolina? Illinois? Missouri??

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

in.
Old Nov 17, 19, 9:41 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Not to nitpick too much, but Illinois and Missouri are not in the South. The are solidly Midwest.
I think the best "foodie" city in the south is New Orleans, no contest. Quality as well as variety. There are also regional choices in the deep south that you don't find in other parts of the country - crawfish and alligator come to mind (Louisiana and Mississippi in particular).
Carolina is solid barbecue country - smoked meats with a wide variety of sauces. Pulled pork and ribs are most common and delicious, but a good brisket is heaven on a plate.
Old Nov 17, 19, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's also good BBQ in Texas and Alabama (Dreamland in Tuscaloosa), although the style can vary by region.

There's a BBQ trail near Austen (need car for this) as well as BBQ joints in town, plus other good food.

In NC, I've had good food in Raleigh, Chapel Hill, and nearby places.

IMO a lot depends on what the OP means by southern food and whether the plan would be to drive or to visit a lot of restaurants (plus diners, food halls, bars, and markets) in some city. I don't think of New Orleans as a place for southern food but rather Creole cuisine, just as I don't think of Miami or Tampa for "southern" food although both cities have some very good food.

Atlanta might be a good place and it has the advantage of a major airport. You could also go to Savannah or maybe Charleston SC.
Old Nov 17, 19, 10:23 am

Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
Might give you an idea of what is considered "deep south".

https://www.americaasyoulikeit.com/d...on-a-food-tour

More "the south"

https://www.foodandwine.com/slidesho...food-in-the-us

Search this Thread
Search Engine: