Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Question on alcohol duty rate for flying back into US.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Specifically LHR-LAX as a California resident, in case that matters.

I'm having trouble finding a clear .gov statement that simply says "this is the rate for bottles of liquor after the first bottle", the only clearly-stated information I'm finding is on travel blogs. Is it right that it's just a flat rate of about $2-$3 per bottle? I have Global Entry so don't want to screw around with risking getting it revoked for failure to declare a few bottles of Scotch.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just check the CBP website. It is the definitive legal statement. It is based on volume not "bottles." One litre will be duty-free and anything above will be $3 per litre. Note that CBP will also collect the IRS excise tax of $13.50 per proof gallon. Thus, depends on the proof of the liquor and volume.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...toms-duty-info

All of that said, if you properly declare the excess alcohol, whether on a paper Declaration or orally to a CBP Officer, and it is only an extra litre or so, the general practice is to waive you through.
Moderator2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.