Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping for large group meals

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by Tanic

I was given a tablet to sign at a restaurant this week and the tip had been pre-set to 22%. I wonder how many customers just hit the OK button without noticing.
I've seen this also. I zeroed out the tip and didn't leave anything. It's not a tip if is it already calculated into the bill. If the server has a problem with that then they should take it up with management.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:44 am

We have had a manager in Boston complain for 10% tip.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Debating the merits of tipping vs. paying more (and thus charging more) is an endless debate without a good answer. There are local customs the world over which impact the way things are done. Those are not changing anytime soon and won't be solved as part of any one meal (if they need solving at all).

Group meals require a bit of diligence for the organizer. Most restaurants are quite clear about whether they add a tip and how much it is. It is also a perfectly fair question to ask when booking, whether the tip goes to the employees and how it is calculated. Most likely, the tip is on the total check, thus including taxes. Once you understand what the deal is, you can make a decision as to whether the restaurant represents good value for what you want. Whether the tab comes to $75 per person including tip or there is no tip, but the price is $75 really makes little difference.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by fassy

Oh, dear! You were right. Just took a closer look at the check. THEY ADDED THE GRATUITY. Subtotal 560, Tax 60, 18% Gratuity 101... but on the CC receipt the option to add a tip. Which of course is the only place I looked at not the detailed check. Now I feel very stupid... well... more than one lesson learned and a happy waitress for that evening
A decent server would have said "tip is already included". She was gaming the system hoping you would not notice and it paid off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.