Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Government shutdown effects on US border crossing

Government shutdown effects on US border crossing

Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Government shutdown effects on US border crossing - updated

It looks likely that there will be a U.S. government shutdown at midnight. I have an early morning flight into the US from YVR on Sunday, and wonder what the effect will be at border crossing (pre-clearance @YVR)? In 2013, I recall a general slowdown as the agents who were deemed essential weren't actually being paid, and morale/productivity was accordingly low.

I am surprised not to find discussion of this topic in this forum, but perhaps I missed the thread, in which case, moderators please relocate this query.

UPDATE: As of December 23, 6 a.m., the U.S. preclearance at YVR was operating normally. No delay in preclearing customs and immigration.

Last edited by transportprof; Dec 23, 2018 at 8:05 am
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:17 am

CBP and TSA are not affected by the shutdown directly, other than that paychecks won't be issued until after the shutdown with back pay. All global entry appointments are postponed indefinitely for the time.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In addition to appointments, it also appears that GE processing is suspended as well. Thus, people who are awaiting conditional approval or final approval post interview may find that they simply wait.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.