Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad passport photo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Bad passport photo

So I got my passport renewed recently and when I got my new one I noticed that my photo makes my skin seem very yellow, like I have jaundice. The one I sent did not look like this so they must have modified the photo before printing. Is this going to cause a problem when I try to use it in the automated machines? Is there a way to get this fixed without paying for a new one? I would rather not be stuck with this photo for 10 years.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was this a USA passport? Don't they just apply the physical photo that you submit and then laminate the page?

If your photo wasn't printed as a passport photo, I could imagine that the heat and chemicals in the glue and/or laminate might cause the thing to change color, but I'm just guessing here.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was this a USA passport? Don't they just apply the physical photo that you submit and then laminate the page?

If your photo wasn't printed as a passport photo, I could imagine that the heat and chemicals in the glue and/or laminate might cause the thing to change color, but I'm just guessing here.
US Passport photos have been printed on, not laminated in, for a long time now. Since before e-passports. That doesn't mean they don't make them look like crap when printed though.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

They are printed on.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by darkguy2
So I got my passport renewed recently and when I got my new one I noticed that my photo makes my skin seem very yellow, like I have jaundice. The one I sent did not look like this so they must have modified the photo before printing. Is this going to cause a problem when I try to use it in the automated machines?
This problem has existed since at least 2008 when they rolled out biometric ePassports. When my wife and I received our passports in 2008, her skin was unrealistically yellow and mine was too red. However, when I read the photo from the chip with my phone's NFC, the picture comes out normal. So, I guess the colors are messed up during the printing stage, not scanning.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:41 pm

Considering that you supposedly live in Minneapolis and have over 74k posts on this forum, I will take your comment as a sarcasm.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by König
This problem has existed since at least 2008 when they rolled out biometric ePassports. When my wife and I received our passports in 2008, her skin was unrealistically yellow and mine was too red. However, when I read the photo from the chip with my phone's NFC, the picture comes out normal. So, I guess the colors are messed up during the printing stage, not scanning.
Oh that's interesting with the NFC from the phone. I'm curious on how mine came out too, not so much about the color correction, but my photo is offset, which is annoying. The passport works though.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
While it's annoying, what does it matter? Some immigration control person looks at it for a few seconds to confirm it's you (and if they read by NFC, sounds like it's a non-issue)
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
I had this happen two passports ago. Crossing the border an agent even made a comment and I told him that if he didn't like it then his colleagues shouldn't have done such a poor job. I certainly wasn't going to pay for a new passport after they screwed it up.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:25 pm

No, there won't be a problem when the colour of your face is different unless if the facial features are not visible or shadowed in the photo
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:16 am

I'm fairly sure this is an issue with the passport series. The photo is always garbage, and mine is also tilted. Never been a problem though.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 6:45 pm

Passport Photo Has the Skin with Green Tint

Hello,
we received our passports back and had a question on the photos. This is our first one. The photos have the skin with a green tint. The eyes and mouth are ok. The forehead, cheeks, nose and chin looks like we are wearing a face mask. Like a facial. A thick green facial? Is this OK?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Shelley Murphy
Hello,
we received our passports back and had a question on the photos. This is our first one. The photos have the skin with a green tint. The eyes and mouth are ok. The forehead, cheeks, nose and chin looks like we are wearing a face mask. Like a facial. A thick green facial? Is this OK?
Are these USA passports?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Shelley Murphy
Is this OK?
Does it look like you?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:03 pm

Yes US passport

I think you can tell it is us. our eyes and mouth are clear.

they look very amateur though. I didn’t know if maybe it was read by a machine and that is why it was weird

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.