US Immigration Question

US Immigration Question

Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

US Immigration Question

Hi,

Currently in the US on visa waiver program. Arrived May 29,
Need to be out of the country by August 26, 11.59pm EDT

question, if i fly to panama on August 25th, then want to fly panama to ewr to lhr on september 2nd or 3rd, with just a 3 hour layover in ewr,
am I going to run into issues with US re-entry?

I know that if i went to mexico not panama for a vacation, that I would run into issues as it is a contiguous territory and my 90 days / i-94 will have expired when I look to transit through ewr on september 2nd.

Is panama considered sufficiently distant that I will be allowed re-entry, to transit through?

any information appreciated
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gozoboro
..Currently in the US on visa waiver program. Arrived May 29,
Need to be out of the country by August 26, 11.59pm EDT

Question, if I fly to panama on August 25th, then want to fly Panama to EWR to LHR on September 2nd or 3rd, with just a 3 hour layover in EWR, am I going to run into issues with US re-entry?

I know that if I went to Mexico not Panama for a vacation, that I would run into issues as it is a contiguous territory and my 90 days / i-94 will have expired when I look to transit through EWR on September 2nd.

Is Panama considered sufficiently distant that I will be allowed re-entry, to transit through?
USA does not have the concept of transit. Either landside or airside.
You will need a new visa waiver for the 3hrs at EWR.
Or select flights that do not go through USA.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No such thing as transit in the US. You must have the documentation to enter the US in order to connect at EWR. Your air carrier will not even allow you to board your EWR-bound flight.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
No such thing as transit in the US. You must have the documentation to enter the US in order to connect at EWR. Your air carrier will not even allow you to board your EWR-bound flight.

Ok

so if i am on visa waiver, I leave the USA after 89 days (so i have not overstayed) and go to panama for 8 days, can I re-enter the US?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by gozoboro
Ok

so if i am on visa waiver, I leave the USA after 89 days (so i have not overstayed) and go to panama for 8 days, can I re-enter the US?
It's at the discretion of the CBP officer.

From the U.S. Customs and Border Protection' Official Website:
About the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)
Approved ESTA applications are valid for a period of two years, or until the passport expires, whichever comes first, and multiple trips to the United States without the traveler having to re-apply for another ESTA. When traveling to the U.S. with the approved ESTA, you may only stay for up to 90 days at a time - and there should be a reasonable amount of time between visits so that the CBP Officer does not think you are trying to live here. There is no set requirement for how long you must wait between visits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.