Wiki Posts
Search

Will I be able to obtain a passport? | Existing US misdemeanor

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2017, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Then you are basically on your own.

But at the minimum, I was in the right direction.

Here is my guess - OP was placed into a diversion program by the court. DUI and drug possession are the most common offenses that have diversion programs. Given how people were usually open in term of DUI, it sounds like to me that OP's charge was drug possession.
I'm not telling you ... it was cause it's not relevant, but I pretty much know that I can't get one regardless whether it was a drug related offense or not so don't analyze me

Last edited by Moderator2; Nov 19, 2017 at 7:56 am Reason: Removed unacceptable language
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:59 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
It is clear the OP is limiting publishing certain private details. Please respect that wish, and minimize the speculation. If there is not enough background information for you to contribute, then it may not be necessation
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Here is my guess - OP was placed into a diversion program by the court. DUI and drug possession are the most common offenses that have diversion programs. Given how people were usually open in term of DUI, it sounds like to me that OP's charge was drug possession.
I am very certain that the overwhelming majority of legally free US citizens with a drug possession conviction history are eligible for a US passport.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I am very certain that the overwhelming majority of legally free US citizens with a drug possession conviction history are eligible for a US passport.
I am 100% certain I did not say anything that a US citizen with a drug possession conviction history can't get a passport.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I am 100% certain I did not say anything that a US citizen with a drug possession conviction history can't get a passport.
Given this earlier post was as clear as mud:
Several issues:

1. The State Department can only refuse issuing passports in certain conditions. Having a non-drug related criminal record is not one of those.

2. Arrest record is different from criminal record. Arrest record will usually not affect your admissibility while arrest record will definitely affect.

3. Regardless arrest or criminal record, the acts leading to the record matters.
who knows what to make of what was posted.

​​​​​​​The overwhelming majority of drug related convictions of US citizens are not legally-authorized grounds to deny a legally free US citizen a passport.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I assume the above post is sarcastic.
Correct.

I don't care if the guy got popped for a little weed. I care that he's potentially going to venture beyond our borders and represent America to the global community.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:44 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Since there doesn't appear to be much else available to the original poster ("OP") without more disclosure, I'll shut it down. If the OP has further on topic questions, they should private mail me, and I'll reopen the thread and ensure responses are on target. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.