Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

~2h SFO or LAX transfer

~2h SFO or LAX transfer

Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

~2h SFO or LAX transfer

I'm booking flights and have 2 options for layovers (separate tickets and separate airlines) on my way from Singapore to Bogota.

Philippines Airline 102 arriving at LAX at 19:30
Spirit 310 departing LAX at 21:10

OR

Philippines Airline 104 arriving at SFO at 20:00
JetBlue 278 departing SFO at 21:57

Which would you recommend? Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:05 am

Do you have Global Entry or anything else, that would speed up immigration? And which class do you travel? If no GE etc. and Economy, i would personally not take the risk with both connections, esp. not on separate tickets.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:50 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
SFO by far.

And Spirit is awful in so many ways.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I wouldn't chance either of those on separate tickets, but forced to choose I would pick SFO. At least if you're late and need to change flights you might have .001% chance of sympathy from JetBlue. No way with Spirit.

Can you make the second flight the next day?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:02 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Similarly, will you have checked baggage (which may affect how quickly you get through customs)? If you do, you'll likely have to take time to re-check the bags at the check in counter with your 2nd airline before clearing security.

If I had to choose between those I'd also go SFO. The transfer should be easier, especially if you're cutting the time close - JetBlue operates out of the International Terminal at SFO so you won't have to go that far to reclear security.

At LAX, Spirit operates out of T5 and you'll have to walk/run between terminals (about 10 minutes walking) or take a super slow shuttle bus. (Especially wouldn't recommend this if you have checked bags that you have to carry over to T5)
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Avoid Spirit if at all possible.

I suspect these would be separate tickets for the international and domestic portions. Make sure you understand the implications.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: Permanent nobody on AA, UA, QF & NZ
LAX on a 2 hr connection is optimistic, in five attempts I've only ever made it thru customs and to next terminal in under 2 hours once, I usually plan for a 4 hour connection to be safe, easier to sit down for a coffee waiting than it is to reorganise flights

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.