Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations for expedited passport renewal

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Recommendations for expedited passport renewal

I am a travel newbie and just learned I need to be three months from passport expiration to travel to France. Leaving in 15 days. Anybody have a recommendation on which expediting company to use?

Tks,

Greg
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Travisa handles my visas and has always done a good job. 15 day turn on a passport renewal should be well within their capabilities. (Assuming U.S. passport and no other unusual circumstances.)
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

can also walk in to passport agencies (ignore claims that you cant)

edit - indeed assuming US (may apply elsewhere?)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 4, 2017 at 9:23 pm
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If there's a passport agency near you (assuming USA citizen) go there with your old passport, forms, photos, and a credit card. You want to request expedited renewal. To get the passport really fast, including same day, you need proof of travel within two weeks (or a need to apply for visas), so also bring printouts of your itinerary and ticket receipt for air travel. IMO it wouldn't hurt to also bring copies of hotel reservations, etc., if you have this information handy. They can gives you a new passport the same day, but their offer is more likely to be that you can come back in a day or two to pick up the old and new passport, including a passport card if requested. They'll also mail this stuff to you, but this will obviousaly add several days to the process.

There's no need to use a passport agency. In fact, this simply adds a few days to the process and can be very expensive on top of the passport fees you pay to the USA government.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3rd parties can guarantee faster than direct, in some cities but not all
i dont understand why government doesnt offer at same/higher price..
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I used rushmypassport.com a couple of months ago. A little expensive, but professional and fast. I was pleased.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:20 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I used thepassportguys about a year ago when I filled up my passport. Overnighted it to them on Tuesday. They processed it Wednesday and was in my hands Thursday morning. Not the cheapest thing, but quick and much easier then loosing a day at a passport agency.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's no need to use a passport agency. In fact, this simply adds a few days to the process and can be very expensive on top of the passport fees you pay to the USA government.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
3rd parties can guarantee faster than direct, in some cities but not all
i dont understand why government doesnt offer at same/higher price..
I've never used a passport agency for a basic passport renewal, but I find their services pretty valuable on visas. On several of my visa apps, their QA process has informed me of unwritten rules or pitfalls in my documents before submitting to the consulate. Flaws or ambiguities in business introduction letters, incorrectly-formatted foreign addresses, photos that don't meet extremely precise specs, or other little things that the agency knows that particular consulate is known for rejecting visas for. Fixing errors with the agency in 1 day saves potentially weeks in back-and-forth with the consulate. The errors are things I'd never have known about otherwise.

Granted, I think I could get a passport renewal right the first time, and if I lived in a city with a same-day option I'd probably do it that way. But if you have to use an agency, you'll have peace of mind that they'll meet or beat their promised times. It's their entire business model to do so.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've never used a passport agency for a basic passport renewal, but I find their services pretty valuable on visas. On several of my visa apps, their QA process has informed me of unwritten rules or pitfalls in my documents before submitting to the consulate. Flaws or ambiguities in business introduction letters, incorrectly-formatted foreign addresses, photos that don't meet extremely precise specs, or other little things that the agency knows that particular consulate is known for rejecting visas for. Fixing errors with the agency in 1 day saves potentially weeks in back-and-forth with the consulate. The errors are things I'd never have known about otherwise.

Granted, I think I could get a passport renewal right the first time, and if I lived in a city with a same-day option I'd probably do it that way. But if you have to use an agency, you'll have peace of mind that they'll meet or beat their promised times. It's their entire business model to do so.
I agree totally. I use a visa service agency for visas where the application must be delivered to the consulate in person or where I'm concerned about the rules, but I refuse to pay lots of additional money for passport renewal.

I also double check visa rules myself as I've found that some visa service agencies (and airlines like DL with website links to such) tend to advise everyone to get a visa in advance even when it isn't required.

Furthermore, I suspect that some of these visa services are fly by night operations, so everyone should be sure to use one through an employer or otherwise check them out before sending them anything.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

fastest expeditors are 24 hours i think, but some agencies will only do 48 hours for expeditors, at least i heard something like that

in 2011 with appointment, agency gave me same day a few hours later, in 2015 as walkin it was a few days later
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:20 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
fastest expeditors are 24 hours i think, but some agencies will only do 48 hours for expeditors, at least i heard something like that

in 2011 with appointment, agency gave me same day a few hours later, in 2015 as walkin it was a few days later
Even last year, I've seen people go into our Passport Agency offices in the Eastern and Central time zones first thing in the morning and pick up their passports in the late afternoon so as to make evening flights out of the country.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i would assume common for same day flights, they have codes/priorities, i noticed >
mostly C, started with C - appointments
then A - some kind of priority
then E - some kind of priority (before 'customer' even checked in / finished checking in. from state dept 'upstairs'?)
then B - walk-in with same day flight
then D - other walk-in
with other than C being mixed in occasionally and perhaps to certain windows
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:57 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Passport regional office is totally the way to go. Last time I went, turned in the required documents, went to lunch and it was ready when I got back.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:20 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving to USA forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:01 pm

I requested expedited service when renewing a passport last spring through the normal channels and also sent via USPS overnight delivery - it was a week from the day I sent it in to the day I received my new passport.

Your Senator or Member of Congress' constituent services department can also help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.