Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I travel into USA and Canada

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Can I travel into USA and Canada

Hi, Can I travel to the USA and Canada if I have a pending charge. I'm from Australia and I'm meant to be travelling in about a week and a bit but I got caught with some cannabis last weekend. I haven't received the paper work for the charge or court date. The officers said I can travel and they know all the travel details, he even told me to answer "No" to the question about "Have you been arrested or convicted" because I wasn't arrested and I haven't been convicted (yet) but I'm worried about immigration. I haven't received my charge papers or court date yet and I have a lawyer which can attend my court date if it is on while I'm overseas. The lawyer also reckons I'll be fine to travel. Does anyone know if pending charges come up on the immigration system? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by beavisbeavis
Hi, Can I travel to the USA and Canada if I have a pending charge. I'm from Australia and I'm meant to be travelling in about a week and a bit but I got caught with some cannabis last weekend. I haven't received the paper work for the charge or court date. The officers said I can travel and they know all the travel details, he even told me to answer "No" to the question about "Have you been arrested or convicted" because I wasn't arrested and I haven't been convicted (yet) but I'm worried about immigration. I haven't received my charge papers or court date yet and I have a lawyer which can attend my court date if it is on while I'm overseas. The lawyer also reckons I'll be fine to travel. Does anyone know if pending charges come up on the immigration system? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
You got caught with the pot in Australia, right?

If so, I can't imagine that something which hasn't led to a conviction, or even a formal charge, would make it into from Australia into the CBP system.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No way to tell and local Australian cops have no way of answering that question. Nor do you.

Your supposition that CBP will only ask "the question" you set forth is just supposition. It could be framed differently.

Anybody here who tells you "they are sure" is not or does not know.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Your lawyer is the best person to get advice from, and you did.

Good luck! Hope your trip goes well.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies
Just an update.
I saw a lawyer and he believes he will be able to get the charges off my recorded when it goes to court if it does. He also believes ill be fine to travel to the USA and Canada but he can't guarantee that. I've been trying to call around everywhere to find a definite answer but no luck. Does anyone know someone or a phone number which i can call to find a answer to my question?
Today I also rang the Police to try and find out my charges because i haven't received them yet but when they look at my records they saw there is a pending charge but it hasn't been completed yet. I guess a new question to ask is, Can you travel to the USA and Canada if you have a pending charge on your criminal record? Also does anyone know if Canada or the USA can see NSW police records if there is just a pending charge on there? Just stressing out about my travels. Any help would be great thank you
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:46 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

CBP does not routinely ask about pending charges, and has no way to see NSW police records. So most likely you will not have any problem. You will be asked if you have ever been arrested or convicted, and you can truthfully answer no. Do not lie, but do not volunteer information either. Answer only what is asked. Of course there is never any guarantee when it comes to immigration, but in all likelihood you will not have any problem.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by beavisbeavis
Thanks for the replies
Just an update.
I saw a lawyer and he believes he will be able to get the charges off my recorded when it goes to court if it does. He also believes ill be fine to travel to the USA and Canada but he can't guarantee that. I've been trying to call around everywhere to find a definite answer but no luck. Does anyone know someone or a phone number which i can call to find a answer to my question?
Today I also rang the Police to try and find out my charges because i haven't received them yet but when they look at my records they saw there is a pending charge but it hasn't been completed yet. I guess a new question to ask is, Can you travel to the USA and Canada if you have a pending charge on your criminal record? Also does anyone know if Canada or the USA can see NSW police records if there is just a pending charge on there? Just stressing out about my travels. Any help would be great thank you
Just answer questions accurately. You lawyer is the person most qualified to answer your worries, and he has.

The questions you're most likely to be asked will be purpose of your trip, how long you plan to stay, and whether you plan to meet anyone in the country. Rarely for younger travelers, etc., you'll be asked about a return ticket.

The chances you'll have any problems are extremely low.

Have a great trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.