Search

Getting into the US using a machine but not Global Entry

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Getting into the US using a machine but not Global Entry

It's a clumsy title I know. I travel to the US only 2 or 3 times a year: the last few visits started in Chicago, Houston or Miami. I'm pretty sure I used a machine entry system in all three, then joined a queue (of US residents), clutching bit of paper from the machine. It was quick: a significant improvement.

So I arrived in Philadelphia the other day confident that I knew the system. I tried to use the machines, but the helpers treated me carefully, as they would a madman: then sent me back to join a long queue of alien arrivals.

Has the machine route ended? Or is Philadelphia behind the curve?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I guess this is the APC - Automated Passport Control kiosks:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/apc

These kiosks take the basic questions and answers that was on the old form, plus the biometric control, and then the agent just asks a few questions.

Some airports separate the APC kiosks into separate banks, for US+Canadian in one area, VWP (Visa Waiver) in another. As far as I know they all do the necessary, and the separation is done purely to assist with line management between the kiosks and the queues for the agents. PHL I thought had them all in one area, but they do move them around (e.g. MIA has played out various strategies here)
Old Feb 18, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
The machines you are referring to a known as APC (Automated Passport Control). According to this list: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/apc PHL has them.

You can use them if you are a U.S. citizen, U.S. legal permanent resident, Canadian citizen, traveling utilizing ESTA (Visa Waiver Program), or entering with a B1/B2 or D visa.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. APC it is. Didn't find any of the machines at PHL, and agents knew nothing about them: but no immigration forms to fill (apart from the customs ones).

The queue was long, agents few. But late-joiners got syphoned off to the immigration desks that had been dealing with US residents. Just a couple of questions and fingerprints: no forms. So perhaps the machines are redundant.

A bit of a zoo at transfer security. But nothing Heathrow hasn't trained me for ...
Old Feb 19, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Thanks for the replies. APC it is. Didn't find any of the machines at PHL, and agents knew nothing about them: but no immigration forms to fill (apart from the customs ones).

The queue was long, agents few. But late-joiners got syphoned off to the immigration desks that had been dealing with US residents. Just a couple of questions and fingerprints: no forms. So perhaps the machines are redundant.

A bit of a zoo at transfer security. But nothing Heathrow hasn't trained me for ...
I had a similar experience at Philly last month. They had no interest in letting anyone with visa waivers use the machines, only US citizens were allowed to. All of us non-US people were sent to the world's longest queue. I spent over an hour queuing (and I'd been in seat 1A so the rest of my flight were stuck in the queue behind me for even longer). It was up there with my most miserable US airport immigration experiences - although I suspect Miami next month will show me that Philly was just a warm-up.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bibbju
I had a similar experience at Philly last month. They had no interest in letting anyone with visa waivers use the machines, only US citizens were allowed to. All of us non-US people were sent to the world's longest queue. I spent over an hour queuing (and I'd been in seat 1A so the rest of my flight were stuck in the queue behind me for even longer). It was up there with my most miserable US airport immigration experiences - although I suspect Miami next month will show me that Philly was just a warm-up.
Fortunately Miami these days is pretty good.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
MIA is now pretty good, a LOT of APC machines around and v quick
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I guess this is the APC - Automated Passport Control kiosks:

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/apc

These kiosks take the basic questions and answers that was on the old form, plus the biometric control, and then the agent just asks a few questions.

Some airports separate the APC kiosks into separate banks, for US+Canadian in one area, VWP (Visa Waiver) in another. As far as I know they all do the necessary, and the separation is done purely to assist with line management between the kiosks and the queues for the agents. PHL I thought had them all in one area, but they do move them around (e.g. MIA has played out various strategies here)
There has been variation in the capability of APC machines, as there are different suppliers of APC kiosks that are used by different US airports and/or airlines that paid for the machines. But even where kiosk capability is not the issue, some airports and CBP port directors have a different approach to segregating or mingling different kind of passengers when it comes to the immigration control (and even customs) process.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

....I suspect Miami next month will show me that Philly was just a warm-up.[/B]
Then i think you might be in for a surprise Miami is one of the airports that has worked very well in recent times. It used to be hell, but the machines have helped free things up a lot - though the queuing can sometimes get passed on to the customs control...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.