National Park Lifetime Pass "Price Increase"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji

Senior Pass is a lifetime pass
available to United States citizens or permanent residents 62 years of age or older.

The Pass can be used at over 2000 Federal recreation sites across the nation, including National Parks, National Wildlife Refuges, and many National Forest lands.
The Senior Pass admits the Pass owner and any passengers traveling with him/her in a non-commercial vehicle.

present cost $10 - due to increase to $80 sometime in 2017

Print Wikipost

National Park Lifetime Pass "Price Increase"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Exclamation National Park Lifetime Pass "Price Increase"

Congress approved legislation, the National Park Service Centennial Act, that raises fees and sets up an endowment to help pay for Projects and Visitor Services .... Senior Pass increasing from $10.00 to $80.00. Buy yours now???
http://travel.aarp.org/articles-tips...-increase.html

Happy Travels, gvic
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We bought one this year for my mom at a visitors' center. When they said the fee was $10, I honestly thought it was a mistake. Surely this is $100 or $200 or something, right? I mean, a *lifetime* pass for people entering the period of their life when they can actually go spend time in the parks!

Nope, ten bucks. Amazing... Even $80 is still a pretty great deal.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by GVIC
Congress approved legislation, the National Park Service Centennial Act, that raises fees and sets up an endowment to help pay for Projects and Visitor Services .... Senior Pass increasing from $10.00 to $80.00. Buy yours now???
http://travel.aarp.org/articles-tips...-increase.html

Happy Travels, gvic
Glad I already have mine. That is an outrageous increase all at once.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Glad I already have mine. That is an outrageous increase all at once.
I disagree. $80 for the pass is very inexpensive. Even the standard pass ($80/year) is IMHO very good value, if you're visiting many parks in a year.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: US Gold
Actually, it's $10 plus a $10 service fee. Still a fantastic deal, though. Must be US citizen or resident, over 62.

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm

wg
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wendyg
Actually, it's $10 plus a $10 service fee.
When we bought one a few months ago, it was only $10. The service fee is, I think, when you buy it online and have it sent to you. Buying on-site in the visitors' center was easy, although I have no idea if this is true at the busier parks. (We were at a small Native American dwelling in Arizona...you bought your tickets in the visitors' center and could walk the entire site from there.) Maybe it's worth the extra $10 if you know your first park is Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc.??
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:47 pm
Community Director Emerita

Store your card carefully. These days we are very accustomed to electronic cards. If we lose one, we can easily get a replacement. That's not the case with these. If you misplace your $10 lifetime card, you'll need to buy a new one. And you have to carry it to show every time you enter a park. We learned shortly before going to the Hudson Valley that Eleanor Roosevelt's home was part of the National Park Service. $10 card for the win!
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
I disagree. $80 for the pass is very inexpensive. ....
It is not the amount so much as the 800% increase all at once - for a primary constituency who are retired and on a fixed income. The original intent was to provide pensioners an inexpensive way to enjoy their parks, which they supported through their taxes for many years, without making them decide between buying the pass or eating right that month. That original intent seems to have gone by the board. I suspect it has a lot to do with longer active life spans these days compared to when the pass was first created.

I agree that a modest increase was warranted. 8x is rather much.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Feb 2, 2017 at 1:29 pm
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
When we bought one a few months ago, it was only $10. The service fee is, I think, when you buy it online and have it sent to you. ...
This is correct.

Fortunately, I live quite close to entrances to both Yosemite and Kings Canyon so I just ran up the hill one day after I turned 62 and bought mine. Since I visit one or the other parks at least monthly, it was a pretty good investment.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
It is not the amount so much as the 800% increase all at once - for a primary constituency who are retired and on a fixed income. The original intent was to provide pensioners an inexpensive way to enjoy their parks, which they supported through their taxes for many years, without making them decide between buying the pass or eating right that month. That original intent seems to have gone by the board. I suspect it has a lot to do with longer active life spans these days compared to when the pass was first created.

I agree that a modest increase was warranted. 8x is rather much.
They've also added a senior-annual pass for $20. That's a pretty good option for people who only do an occasional National Parks roadtrip and don't see themselves doing 7+ such trips (in different years) over the course of their life.

I suspect people who live near a park and use it often will still find the $80 to be an amazing value. The people who don't - National Parks are a really infrequent thing for them - now have the $20 option that buys them a full year.

The main reasons it was 800% are (a) it was crazy-crazy cheap before and (b) they haven't asked Congress for a rate hike in almost 25 years.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
The main reasons it was 800% are (a) it was crazy-crazy cheap before and (b) they haven't asked Congress for a rate hike in almost 25 years.
+ AFAIK, the NPS isn't swimming in money.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Best 10.00 ever spent. I love the pass and carry it on me always. I found out when I was in Independence, MO that the Harry Truman sites are NPS managed and got in for free. I must have used it 10x in the 16 months I have had it.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
In case you are travelling north this year....

... a year long Canada National Park pass is free this year to celebrate the countries 150th birthday. Thats every park coast to coast. And nope you don't have to be a Canuck to get one.

Link: http://www.commandesparcs-parksorder...atalogId=53407
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by HomerJ
... a year long Canada National Park pass is free this year to celebrate the countries 150th birthday. Thats every park coast to coast. And nope you don't have to be a Canuck to get one.

Link: http://www.commandesparcs-parksorder...atalogId=53407
Thanks. Just ordered it.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by cruisr
Best 10.00 ever spent. I love the pass and carry it on me always. I found out when I was in Independence, MO that the Harry Truman sites are NPS managed and got in for free. I must have used it 10x in the 16 months I have had it.
I agree. I love the outdoors but I avoided NPs in the past due to the entrance fees and crowds. Then I found out about the annual pass and did a complete 180. I get my $80 back several times over each year, and I go seek out lesser known, beautiful parks I never would have given a second thought to in the past ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.