Wiki Posts
Search

Customs transiting and then returning to US

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Customs transiting and then returning to US

Hey everyone,

I have a somewhat unusual itinerary coming up, where I am traveling to Japan, and then fly to Canada via the U.S., and then return to the U.S. by train the next day. I know that the U.S. duty-free limit is ordinarily $800, but that limit only applies for trips out of the country that are longer than 48 hours (otherwise, it's $200).

So I have a few questions:

1. Will I go through U.S. Customs when I'm transiting the U.S. to go to Canada? (I believe the answer is yes here)
2. If so, will I declare everything I'm bringing back from Japan when I'm transiting the U.S.? (I believe this is yes as well)
3. When returning to the U.S. from Canada the next day, will I declare everything, or only the stuff I obtained while in Canada? If I need to declare everything again, I assume I wouldn't legally owe duty, since I already legally imported it once free of duty, but how can I prove that?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 12:17 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by ingjald
Hey everyone,

I have a somewhat unusual itinerary coming up, where I am traveling to Japan, and then fly to Canada via the U.S., and then return to the U.S. by train the next day. I know that the U.S. duty-free limit is ordinarily $800, but that limit only applies for trips out of the country that are longer than 48 hours (otherwise, it's $200).

So I have a few questions:

1. Will I go through U.S. Customs when I'm transiting the U.S. to go to Canada? (I believe the answer is yes here)
Yes. The United States has no provisions for international transiting. You must clear immigration and customs.

2. If so, will I declare everything I'm bringing back from Japan when I'm transiting the U.S.? (I believe this is yes as well)
Yes.

3. When returning to the U.S. from Canada the next day, will I declare everything, or only the stuff I obtained while in Canada? If I need to declare everything again, I assume I wouldn't legally owe duty, since I already legally imported it once free of duty, but how can I prove that?
I believe so, but perhaps take a picture of your prior day's customs declaration. Why not ask during your first pass through Immigration the prior day?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by ingjald
It depends on which airport you fly through E.G. SEA, ATL, MIA DFW, not all though, you would get an ITI label on your bag, meaning that you cant claim in it in the transit but only in Canada, then you would recheck and clear customs.

If your going through an ITI airport, you would just present yourself to immigration, but wont need to deal with the customs on the baggage
Old Jun 26, 2016, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Depending on the airport and your final destination back to the US it may be possible and advantageous to leave the imported goods/bags at the airport or use a service such as task rabbit to bring them to your home or a storage facility. This will lighten your load for your one day travel.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by aidy
It depends on which airport you fly through E.G. SEA, ATL, MIA DFW, not all though, you would get an ITI label on your bag, meaning that you cant claim in it in the transit but only in Canada, then you would recheck and clear customs.

If your going through an ITI airport, you would just present yourself to immigration, but wont need to deal with the customs on the baggage
Is Seattle definitely an ITI airport, and which airlines apply ITI labels?

According to their website you have to pick up your luggage in all cases:
http://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/P...al-Travel.aspx

I'm pretty sure that IAH is one that does participate though.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Let's think of this a different way.

All your goods will be declared when you first enter the USA (via transit). Then you leave US for Canada and return to USA next day.

This would not be much different in theory than flying to the USA, renting a car and driving to Canada with all your posessions, and then driving car back to USA the next day. You are acquiring no possessions in Canada..you are taking in your car certain goods and you are bringing them back the next day. You would not pay duty at US border when you reenter.

Note-this may not apply to alcohol and tobacco. Those may trigger duty, but I would take the position with customs that they do not.

In any case, it will be up to customs agents on the train.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Technically all goods acquired abroad, even if previously imported into the USA and used here, should be declared every time you enter the USA.

In addition to the lower exemption if you've been away less then 48 hours, there's a rule about having used all or part of your exemption within the last 30 days.

There's a little customs pamphlet "Know Before You Go" that's very helpful. I think it's available on line now.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...-before-you-go

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.