FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   USA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa-738/)
-   -   Will I be arrested when I re-enter the U.S. if I have unpaid traffic tickets? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa/1768181-will-i-arrested-when-i-re-enter-u-s-if-i-have-unpaid-traffic-tickets.html)

florea13ionut May 25, 2016 11:04 am

Will I be arrested when I re-enter the U.S. if I have unpaid traffic tickets?

On 22/02/2016 I was fined by police in Arizona for speed and Because I have not presented on a traffic complaint, my driving privilege has been suspendet. Traffic Violation Code 28-701A
InSeptember intend to go traveling from Europe to Florida, and I want to know what risk because I have not paid the fine.
I may be arrested or not allow me access to the US?

Please, help me!

Doc Savage May 25, 2016 11:07 am

Dude,

Contact the court in Arizona. Take care of the ticket by paying a fine. You may be able to get them to lower the fine back to the original level if you show contrition.

Worrying about it is worse than paying the fine, no matter how much the fine is.

It is extremely unlikely there is an arrest warrant for a speeding ticket unless you were going over 100 miles per hour, and even then unlikely.

roberino May 25, 2016 12:09 pm

If they linked either your driving license or passport to the ticket (assuming you presented ID when you were caught) then it will probably be flagged when you apply for a visa waiver or turn up at immigration. I'm with DocSavage - get it dealt with now.

Hawkerhunt May 25, 2016 2:43 pm

old info , 20 years old admittedly.
My friend when young and foolish ignored a speeding ticket in Alaska and just flew home . He was written to in the UK by the US authorities advising that he would not be re-admitted to the US. I don't think he ever went back, so he never tested, or tried to resolve the problem.

As stated, always best to fix these things, rather than just risking the chance, however small, of facing consequences.

florea13ionut May 25, 2016 3:19 pm

The fine is huge for my posibilities in Romania.
. I will contact Arizona Court to see the consequences and the necessary steps. I want to know if the fine received in Arizona affects my entry back into the US or my VISA.

Bradhattan May 25, 2016 3:37 pm

It is likely that one of the federal authorities will know.

I live in a U.S. border state with Canada, I know several people denied entry into Canada due to 1st offense drunk driving in the U.S.

While my example is a bit more extreme and the scenario is different, the lesson is similar in the fact that your driving information is available to border officers.

Are you a gambler?

IceTrojan May 25, 2016 3:40 pm

Depends on the state, but I imagine that a bench warrant was issue for failure to appear, that will very likely affect OP's visa application. Hopefully taking care of the fine will help, but something tells me the warrant (if issued) will still show up.

florea13ionut May 25, 2016 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Bradhattan (Post 26681569)
It is likely that one of the federal authorities will know.

I live in a U.S. border state with Canada, I know several people denied entry into Canada due to 1st offense drunk driving in the U.S.

While my example is a bit more extreme and the scenario is different, the lesson is similar in the fact that your driving information is available to border officers.

Are you a gambler?

florea13ionut May 25, 2016 4:01 pm

Sometimes. Why you ask me?

florea13ionut May 25, 2016 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan (Post 26681587)
Depends on the state, but I imagine that a bench warrant was issue for failure to appear, that will very likely affect OP's visa application. Hopefully taking care of the fine will help, but something tells me the warrant (if issued) will still show up.

I have not submitted to the court that was gone from US.

o mikros May 25, 2016 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by florea13ionut (Post 26680067)
I may be arrested or not allow[ed] access to the US?

Short answer: yes and yes.

If you did not pay the fine or show up for your hearing, a bench warrant was likely issued. That means that if your ID is needed by the authorities at any point in Florida (even if it's not because you committed a crime), you can be arrested and extradited to Arizona.

Your visa may also be revoked (or denied) and you may be denied entry to the United States.

Just call up the court and pay the fine + whatever penalty there is for missing the deadline.

[NB: I am aware that the OP may also be able to get away with it, but not wise to chance it. Just pay the ticket.]

Cymbo May 25, 2016 6:49 pm

I'd be willing to chance it. Why would Florida be aware of some minor driving offence in Arizona? State offence, not a Federal one.

Often1 May 25, 2016 6:59 pm

The issue has nothing to do with Florida, it has to do with whether an Airzona court issued some form of a bench warrant when OP failed to appear. That warrant will show up if OP attempts to enter the US.

Whether it results in his being denied a visa, an existing visa being revoked, being denied entry or whatever, cannot be answered by anyone here.

As to how Florida would know, the answer is simple. Warrants are known nationwide to all law enforcement. Whether a local Arizona warrant for failure to appear on a speeding offense is acted on by Florida is a different story.

For OP - If he can't afford to pay the fine, he also can't afford to pay for an air ticket, only to be denied entry and be returned to his origin.

aacharya May 26, 2016 8:12 am

I'm sure there are public databases or even paid ones where OP can confirm the issue without calling someone and making it even more notable/acted upon.

That's what I would do.

HomerJ May 26, 2016 9:51 am

I have unpaid tickets in NY, PA and CA...and own a house in AZ...

...this idea of tracking you down in a state other than where you committed the offence is the stuff of urban legend.
Please explain to me how another state see's any benefit to this, they incur a cost while the other state collects the fine.
So no I wouldn't worry about it.
A DUI is a completely different matter, and can definitely affect your admittance ability.