Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Affordable long-distance one-way rentals?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2016, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Can anyone recommend a one-way rental between say Chicago and California or vice versa (for about one to two weeks)? Everything I found so far comes with hefty one-way or drop charges of $400 or up.
I have been able to find decent offers between California and Seattle, Denver, Nevada or Arizona, but for anything further I did not find anything useful.
Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 8, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Man, you gonna have a tough time finding a rental company that will do this.

What I Suggest is thinking off the grid, doing something like checking sites like reddit and craigslist.com. Try to find someone who easy will rent you a car, or wants to move their car across the country. People pay 1200$ for someone to do this, so they might be willing to cut you a deal.
Old May 8, 2016, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Go to the rental car forums here on FT, an search the discount codes threads of the major agencies for corporate codes. Some of these waive the one-way fees.
Old May 10, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
you are not going to find one.

You can find one way routes at certain times of year where you take cars from PHX/LAS to California and other states in MAy/June then back there in October. Similarly from FLorida you can find one way rental deals oin April outbound after eater week then back down to floriday in October/november
Old May 11, 2016, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Could you please point out some example of such one-way rental deal for certain times of year? I'm looking for something in Oct./Nov., so that might fit.
Old May 12, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
Last summer we rented a car at SFO and returned it to SEA, driving for a week in between from one to the other. I think the total was around $700. Not sure what you consider "affordable." I consider that steep, but our trip was otherwise free except for food (used miles and points for flights and hotels), so it wasn't a big deal in the context of our overall trip budget.
Old May 12, 2016, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

SFO (or LAX) to SEA or vice versa can be had free of one-way-fees from certain European tour operators (they probably don't sell to North American residents though). I rented one with Alamo for ca. $450 all in and fully insured for 12 days last fall.

I was wondering whether anyone knows of similar offers for something like Midwest to California or Arizona.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:28 am
Original Poster

I now found a solution: if you book Europcar/Advantage though certain German booking sites (e.g. Cardelmar or Check24) there is a one-way charge of explicitly 0.00 USD. This seems to work between all Advantage locations in the US.
A second option is to book with Hertz via German booking site billiger-mietwagen.de which gives me "no one-way rental fees" for itineraries between California and Chicago (but not reverse) and maybe others, too.
LAX/SFO to/from SEA with zero one-way surcharges (explicit nor hidden ones) can still be had with Alamo via a couple of German booking sites.
Those offers are likely limited to non-US residents, and of course payment is made in Euros (but prices are very competitive anyway, especially if you consider the insurance packages included).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.