Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by phant0m
Standard Adult Renewal
2/17 Arrived at passport processing center.

Haven't heard anything yet. I'll update when I do.
Update:

Received new passport 3/2. Never got an email or anything. Looks like it was shipped out 2/28. 7 business day turn around.

Anyone know when they will send back your old passport? I'd like to keep mine for sentimental reasons lol
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: delta
Originally Posted by Mary Tracy
Sent expedited renewal application on 2/21 (name change, sent marriage certificate)
arrived 2/24
trackable on 2/26
check cleared 2/27

Will update when status updates.

update.

Got an email with Letter saying that my translated version of my marriage certificate not sufficient. However I sent them official documents mailed to us from Registrars office in Aruba. 3 pages- 1) translated version (with stamp saying official translation), page 2) continuation of page 1 with Appostille stamp for official translation and signatures and Registrar of Aruba stickers/stamps, page 3) Dutch language certificate with stamp and signature. All pages bound. Called office and waited all day for call back. Finally they called and I said if you check page 2 and 3 you will see official markers. She said I’ll call you back, 4 hours later (at 8:30 PM) they said they will issue passport after going over document a bunch of times. Will get passport by next week. Moral of the story Do Not Get Married Oversees!! I spent my entire day trying to figure out how to get another copy of my marriage certificate and it was an absolute nightmare. I had no problems changing name at DMV or Social Security. I’m going to see if I can get a marriage license in my state so I never have to live this ordeal again- although every ID I have is in my married name, so that should be a fun process as well!!
Old Mar 6, 2018, 5:35 pm

update.

Got an email with Letter saying that my translated version of my marriage certificate not sufficient. However I sent them official documents mailed to us from Registrars office in Aruba. 3 pages- 1) translated version (with stamp saying official translation), page 2) continuation of page 1 with Appostille stamp for official translation and signatures and Registrar of Aruba stickers/stamps, page 3) Dutch language certificate with stamp and signature. All pages bound. Called office and waited all day for call back. Finally they called and I said if you check page 2 and 3 you will see official markers. She said I’ll call you back, 4 hours later (at 8:30 PM) they said they will issue passport after going over document a bunch of times. Will get passport by next week. Moral of the story Do Not Get Married Oversees!! I spent my entire day trying to figure out how to get another copy of my marriage certificate and it was an absolute nightmare. I had no problems changing name at DMV or Social Security. I’m going to see if I can get a marriage license in my state so I never have to live this ordeal again- although every ID I have is in my married name, so that should be a fun process as well!!
3/6 5:30 PM got email that passport is printed!!

Will update when when I receive passport, card, and return of old passport and marriage certificate.

On a side note I contacted my US Senator to help we with the problem (depending on who reviews it) with having an international marriage certificate as proof of name change. Can’t get married here (we are married), and even if we could every ID I have is in married name.

They are sure they can be of help.
Newbie2FT likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:09 am

3/6 5:30 PM got email that passport is printed!!

Will update when when I receive passport, card, and return of old passport and marriage certificate.

On a side note I contacted my US Senator to help we with the problem (depending on who reviews it) with having an international marriage certificate as proof of name change. Can’t get married here (we are married), and even if we could every ID I have is in married name.

They are sure they can be of help.
Which state are you in? I think that some states will allow a foreign marriage certificate to be 'registered' with the local state/county, which could help smooth out future difficulties.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Newbie2FT
Which state are you in? I think that some states will allow a foreign marriage certificate to be 'registered' with the local state/county, which could help smooth out future difficulties.
I am in Minnesota. I called my local courthouse and they do not do anything with international Marriage Certificates. I contacted my US Senators office and they are going to find a way I can get it recorded here, or something else like a letter from US Consilate that reps Aruba to verify it’s authenticity as a legal document.

Good News is my passport arrived!
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Recent US passport revewal time

On Monday I mailed in my renewal application for my US passport. Nothing out of the ordinary, all paperwork complete, old passport sent, new photo, etc.

Today, my employer asked me to play on an unexpected trip at the end of the month.

When I sent my passport in 10 years ago I remember I got it back 11 days after I mailed it, but I'm worried now it might be closer to 3-4 weeks.

Has anyone recently gotten their passport renewed and can share with me how long it took?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by MKEbound
On Monday I mailed in my renewal application for my US passport. Nothing out of the ordinary, all paperwork complete, old passport sent, new photo, etc.

Today, my employer asked me to play on an unexpected trip at the end of the month.

When I sent my passport in 10 years ago I remember I got it back 11 days after I mailed it, but I'm worried now it might be closer to 3-4 weeks.

Has anyone recently gotten their passport renewed and can share with me how long it took?
i think if you want to be safe you can call and upgrade to expedited once it shows as processing in the system. I got mine expedited and got it in 15 days. They did have a question about my marriage certificate so it was delayed a day or 2.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by MKEbound

Took me 7 business days after they received it, non expedited.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by phant0m
Took me 7 business days after they received it, non expedited.
I just recently did mine as a renewal by mail with a larger book and also the card, also non-expedited and all sent in to Philadelphia. I paid by paper check but they ran that through electronically just like the power company does (to take possession of the money sooner, and I s'pose to verify it doesn't bounce quickly). The book was first to arrive back, in about 10 days. Then the old materials (hole-punched old book, etc.) 2 days after that and then the new card in 2 more days. They were very quick on the production side once they had the money in hand.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:42 pm

Are you folks getting the new design passport? I'm not even sure what the new design is since there's minimal info about it.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:31 pm

Renewed in person at Seattle Regional Passport Agency Mar 28(travelling next Tues) and passport was ready for pickup two days later.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:45 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
If you do get the new design could you please post pics? Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2018, 1:19 am

@Polly

There is no change in design, at least not on the new one that I just received. Everything still looks the same.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 11:43 am

3/30 sent 2 child applications in via local processing center- normal processing.

4/11 Applications finally in system and checks cleared bank.

Last edited by Mary Tracy; Apr 11, 2018 at 6:26 pm
Old Apr 8, 2018, 1:59 am

Expedited minor passport

4/4 - Submitted at local USPS, paid expedited processing and priority delivery both ways
4/5 - Delivered, no confirmation email
4/9 - check cleared
4/9 - received first tracking/confirmation email
4/10 - received USPS express mail tracking number via email
4/13 - expected delivery date

Last edited by trentblase; Apr 11, 2018 at 12:32 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.