Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Nov 9 - Mailed renewal standard first class mail.
Nov 13 - Email advising me they received it.
Nov 20 - Email advising it’s on its way approx delivery date Nov 26.
Nov 23 - Received passport

I guess November really is the best month to renew. Exactly two weeks from date of mailing.

Last edited by sleuth; Nov 23, 2018 at 2:08 pm
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:09 pm

Ours were equally as fast for a first time applicant:

10/23 - Applied at the local passport acceptance agency
10/30 - Passport status trackable online
11/4 - Passports printed and shipped
11/7 - Passports and official documents we had to send in arrive.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:36 pm

2 weeks for non-expedited

7 November: appt at local acceptance agency for first over age 16 passport

14 November: check clears

19 November: online says expected delivery 25 November

21 November: arrives in mail

no emails ever received

Last edited by tom_MN; Nov 21, 2018 at 3:42 pm
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:30 pm
formerly dave h.

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can SEA it from here!
Programs: SkyMiles, IHG nobody, HH nobody
good to know it's quick right now. do you have to ask for your old passport back or is it returned by default?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It tends always to be quick if you apply when it's not the case that everyone else is applying at the same time, for instance in anticipation of a high season (summer) vacation abroad or just after there are rule changes, such as needing a passport for (all) travel to Canada.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It tends always to be quick if you apply when it's not the case that everyone else is applying at the same time, for instance in anticipation of a high season (summer) vacation abroad or just after there are rule changes, such as needing a passport for (all) travel to Canada.
Anyway I try to slice and dice it, the passports generally come back faster under the current President's Admin than they used to under any of the prior 3 Presidents.

Originally Posted by Dave737
good to know it's quick right now. do you have to ask for your old passport back or is it returned by default?
They are returned as part of the default. Maybe one day this will change with "security" being the excuse again too, but for now they are returned by default for the average US citizen.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:31 pm

Hi from which state did you apply? Is there a difference in processing times accordid

Originally Posted by tom_MN

no emails ever received
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Razan Subahi

I don't think the state matters if you apply through the main USA central passport processing place. However, I would certainly expect the local passport offices in major cities to offer differing experiences for in person and expedited or even same day services.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by tom_MN

no emails ever received
From your description, it is not clear whether you signed up for email notifications or not. Simply providing your email on DS-82 is not enough to receive email updates on your passport renewal status.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:37 am

Passport application took around 5 weeks for a new born. Experienced significant delays when I entered 0000 in the SSN field as his SSN hadn't arrived by the time I applied. Be aware that they either expect you to sign the form or provide a valid SSN.
Timeline -
10/26 - Applied at a passport acceptance agency
11/1 - Application became trackable in the system
11/7 - received an email notification to respond with the SSN or sign the form
11/12 - Response received
11/15 - processing restarted
11/30 - Passport printed - tracking no. provided
12/1 - 12/3 expected date of delivery.

Still happy to receive it before our intended date of travel - 12/15. Was thinking of going the agency route.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Passportwait
Passport application took around 5 weeks for a new born. Experienced significant delays when I entered 0000 in the SSN field as his SSN hadn't arrived by the time I applied. Be aware that they either expect you to sign the form or provide a valid SSN.
Timeline -
10/26 - Applied at a passport acceptance agency
11/1 - Application became trackable in the system
11/7 - received an email notification to respond with the SSN or sign the form
11/12 - Response received
11/15 - processing restarted
11/30 - Passport printed - tracking no. provided
12/1 - 12/3 expected date of delivery.

Still happy to receive it before our intended date of travel - 12/15. Was thinking of going the agency route.
I see a lot of US passport applications submitted and processed with 0000 in the SSN field, and I've noticed no delays because of that. While there are now requests for a supplemental form/letter to be signed and submitted by applicant (or person applying on behalf of a US citizen unable to sign for themselves) to avow that the passport applicant has never received a SSN, that doesn't really delay things either if done at the time of application.

My suggestion is not to apply for a SSN during the time while applying for or awaiting for a US passport for an infant, unless there is an urgent need for the SSN to be had in that window.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:09 am

From your description, it is not clear whether you signed up for email notifications or not.
No, did not register, and never saw a way to do so.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:48 am

Routine processing speed
11/20 Applied in person at passport acceptance agency.
11/21–11/26 Could track online one of these days. Not sure which day it was I checked.
11/27 Email arrived stating application was being processed, accompanied by application locator number.
11/28 Payment cheque cleared with my bank.
12/6 Received email stating that my my passport had been printed and was en route. Was told to expect it by 12/12.
12/8 Passport arrives.

Total elapsed time from application submission to passport‐in‐hand: 18 days

My application required changing personal information, which is why I applied at an acceptance agency. Not sure if this delayed processing time or not.

Last edited by Vola; Dec 8, 2018 at 3:01 pm
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Amex Plat, CSR
Originally Posted by Vola
11/21–11/26 Could track online. Not sure which day it was I checked initially.
You mean you could NOT track online until the 27th, correct?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:00 am
vga

Programs: yes
Routine processing takes 4 to 6 weeks to complete while expedited service takes 2 to 3. Considering that it's peak travel season, processing MAY take longer than usual.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.