Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by slickvik
20 days not expedited
17 days here from receiving to shipping back out, all normal.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:07 pm

Exclamation Current New Passport Processing Times

Hey All,

Does anyone know the current wait times for passport receipt. The post offices in our city have cancelled all walk ins, and are months out for appointments so I went to a passport fair on April 15th and expedited my passport application. Any ideas/experience on when I will receive it. I know 2-3 weeks is the claim but I'm assuming this time of year is crazy for this. Trip is on May 17th, so concern is growing!!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Predicting these things is impossible. The question is not the average time for a passport, but whether there is an issue with your passport documents or any of the information in the documents. The 2-3 weeks is not unreasonable, but any small issue can result in the entire package being returned to you.

The good news is that when you get down to 2 weeks to go, you may deal directly with a Passport Agency and there is one in Hot Springs. While this means a day out of your life (actually head out the night before so that you are there before opening time). Chances are that you will wait around and have your passport a few hours later. At worst, the passport will be overnighted to you.

Pay close attention to the required documents and have everything proofread by someone else because everything will have to be redone if there is a mistake.

Have paper printouts of your e-ticket receipts as proof of travel and, if things get really tight, just show up at the Passport office without an appointment.

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas.../arkansas.html
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:26 pm

Disappointed

Applied for my passport for the first time on Feb 16, 2017. Everything says total processing time 6 to 8 weeks. I received a letter requesting a copy of my marriage certificate in early March. It was immediately dispatched. Here I am, at 9 weeks, with no passport. I've called three times asking where it is in processing. No one knows. I paid $75 to have it expedited, because I need it to register for my cruise that leaves on May 26. So I asked how long it will take, and was again told that they don't know. Today, I checked the site and it said it was expedited, and to expect it in 2-3 weeks. I've already waited 9! And I paid to get it here faster, so it will probably get here by week 12? Not happy.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kjwmemphis
Hey All,

Does anyone know the current wait times for passport receipt. The post offices in our city have cancelled all walk ins, and are months out for appointments so I went to a passport fair on April 15th and expedited my passport application. Any ideas/experience on when I will receive it. I know 2-3 weeks is the claim but I'm assuming this time of year is crazy for this. Trip is on May 17th, so concern is growing!!
Sent a renewal on Monday Mon 17 April 2017 to Dallas Processing Center (normal not expedited)
Received my package: Tue 18 April 2017
Check cashed and showed up on the tracking: Wed 19 April 2017

Status changed to the final processing stage: Wed 3 May 2017
Received my new passport book: Thur 4 May 2017 (via USPS Express) mailed from Tucson Passport Processing Center.
Passport shows the issuance date: 1 May 2017
Old May 4, 2017, 3:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Passport fulfillment (and even CRBA fulfillments) is taking substantially longer this year than last year, and I expect it to possibly get worse as the year progresses.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wyoon
Sent a renewal on Monday Mon 17 April 2017 to Dallas Processing Center (normal not expedited)
Received my package: Tue 18 April 2017
Check cashed and showed up on the tracking: Wed 19 April 2017

Status changed to the final processing stage: Wed 3 May 2017
Received my new passport book: Thur 4 May 2017 (via USPS Express) mailed from Tucson Passport Processing Center.
Passport shows the issuance date: 1 May 2017
Passport card received: 8 May 2017
Old May 15, 2017, 10:01 am

I need passport in time !!! [Moved from Technical Support forum]

I applied to renew my passport in the beginning of may and was told to call in the middle of may to track it .I called and they said it was in the middles of processing but I was scared because I travel June 5. Which is 19 das away.They said I order for it to come faster than usual I should pay for expediate processing.Do you think it will come before June 5th if order to expediate it now ? I'm worried .
Old May 17, 2017, 11:29 am

Smile DS-82 Passport Renewal Processing Times from Texas

Mailed (normal time) passport application and required photos/documents on April 24, 2017. Check cashed April 26 and received passport via US Priority Mail from Tucson on May 11, 2017. June 2 was travel date. Total days 17. Passport issue date May 5, 2017.

I am a DIYer spent 4 hours edit/website, $4.54 certified mail/tracking and $0.29 Walmart print. Have patience and use @ https://travel.state.gov/content/vis...-template.html

Even though busy time of year the processing time was faster than I thought. Things which I think helped were a typed application, typed mailing label and an extra photo (only 1 required). Remember to include old passport and check.

Happy Travels!
Old May 18, 2017, 3:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sinthia Lugo
I applied to renew my passport in the beginning of may and was told to call in the middle of may to track it .I called and they said it was in the middles of processing but I was scared because I travel June 5. Which is 19 das away.They said I order for it to come faster than usual I should pay for expediate processing.Do you think it will come before June 5th if order to expediate it now ? I'm worried .
I'm seeing US passport processing times taking longer than usual this month, but for applications submitted around May 2-5th, I would be pretty confident it would be back by or around May 31st-June 2nd at the latest for most. But if something goes wrong, you'll be in for a scurry to try to get things fixed before June 5th.

This month, if you hadn't applied already, I'd seriously consider paying the expedite fee if having travel plans within 4-5 weeks of application submission date. At this point, I'd just wait and not pay the expedite fee -- but then again I know I also can get a passport within 72 hours if needed by dealing with a reasonably convenient US Passport Agency office or US Embassy/Consulate -- that may or may not be so good for others.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
I have the following data points:
In their possession May 11
Check Cashed May 12
In Final Stages Jun 2
"Should be mailed on or about Jun 7"

This was for expedited and I will be requesting a refund of the $60.
My trip is for Jun 6.
I hope as some wrote above that it comes before this expected mail date.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:03 am
Suspended

Second week of April and of May submissions result in passport issue dates around the 1st of the next month, thus making it around three weeks on average quite often for in-expedited passports currently. But there are delays post-issue that are also resulting in delays of sorts.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond
Wow just checked again and it now says to be mailed on June 10.
This is quite ridiculous for a expedited renewal. 4 weeks door to door.
I really hope this is inaccurate.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:00 pm

We are approaching 8 weeks since passport applications for two minor children, planning to travel in a few weeks, still "processing". See below for timetable and questions.

History:
~4.5 years ago: applied with zeros for SSN; received standard processing (not expedited) passports in ~2 weeks.
April 8, 2017. Pre-filled application forms online. Used zeros for SSN as before.
April 10, 2017. Applied for two new passports at Post Office. Sent two old passports in for renewal. Unfortunately, minor passports are processed as new applications (not as renewals). Standard 6-8 week processing.
April 27, 2017. Department of State generated letters stating that SSNs were now required. The outgoing administration made changes to allow the IRS to revoke passports, which now effectively require SSN.
April 28, 2017. We received an emailed version of the form, printed it, and mailed it with the numbers. The application hotline refused to take the numbers over the phone.
May 5, 2017. Our application was updated with the new data.
June 2, 2017. Still "processing". Calling the phone number gives no useful information.

Future:
June 5 will be 8 weeks.
June 11 we are planning to drive to Canada (Adults have passports/NEXUS/Global Entry, kids have NEXUS) for a conference in Victoria.
June 15 we fly internationally from Vancouver.

Questions:
1) Is there any way to find actual status of an application?
2) Is there any actual phone number for the Seattle Passport Agency?
3) If we request an in-person appointment in Seattle, how will that impact the already-in-process applications?
4) We are considering requesting a June 9 appointment; Seattle is a 700 mile drive, but at least "almost" on the way. Any comments/suggestions about the Seattle office? Note that they already have our application documents and old passports.

Hopefully the above narrative will help some of you avoid future problems. In hindsight, we should have fully submitted to our benevolent government and provided SSNs and paid their "protection" fee (expedited processing, which seems to be almost a month for some). But at this point, we are really starting to worry. Any help, suggestions, or experience others can provide for us would be appreciated.

Last edited by agpt; Jun 2, 2017 at 4:09 pm Reason: Corrected Typos
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:08 pm

Primary question:
What is the best way to get two children's passports next week from Seattle, if we already applied through the mail 8 weeks ago?

Other questions:
Is there any way to contact the Seattle Passport Agency directly, or speak to someone who knows actual details about a specific application?
Will making an appointment help or hurt the process?

Last edited by agpt; Jun 2, 2017 at 4:15 pm Reason: fixed duplicate post; clarified questions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.