Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2022, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CKDGM
Passport Agency Appointments (same day expedited service)
Appointments for same-day expedited service often go quickly. It is best that you schedule your appointment with the passport agency exactly 14 days before your trip. You will want to call the passport number before the center opens at 8am EST as they will have just opened up one day (14 days out) of appointments at all agencies. Appointment times start at 8am. It is important that you have enough buffer in your travel schedule. For example, if you make an appointment for a new passport at 11am and your time of travel is at 2pm, there will not be enough time for you to get your passport. If you book the 8am slot you may have to wait until the end of the business day to get your new passport or it may only be a few hours.

You will want to have your date of travel, time of travel, your flight itinerary number, name of destination, full name of applicant, and applicant's birth city, and the zip code of where you live (to help them find the closest available center with open slots). Use the following steps to increase your chances of success to booking an appointment as they can go very quickly:
  1. 14 days before your trip, you need to schedule an appointment with the passport agency.
  2. At 7:55 am call the passport number 877-487-2778 (This have to be exactly 14 days before your plane ticket or less. If less, it will get harder to find an appointment)
  3. Click 1 (For English)
  4. Click 2 (New Passport)
  5. Continue to Click 7 to repeat, and keep doing this while watching your watch or using Time.gov to get the exact time down to the second.
  6. When your it hits exactly 8:00 am Click 2 (for traveling within 14 days option)
  7. There will be a delay of 3-4 second and you will wait for the next available agent. If you are very lucky, you will be put straight through to an agent. You may be waiting few minutes or maybe as long as 15-20 minutes.
  8. If you did not click 1 exactly at 8 am, you may have to wait for more than an hour and half
After the appointment slot has been reserved you will be provided with a unique identifier code and reservation number. These details will also be emailed to you.

Credit: chgoeditor

Known office locator numbers (not complete)
Note: The office code (first two digits of your application locator number returned by Passport Status) is the office reviewing your documents and approving your application. It isn't necessarily the address you mailed the forms to (always Irving or Philadelphia for renewals) nor the facility where the book is physically printed and mailed (often Tucson or Hot Springs).

10: Boston
11: NYC
12: Honolulu
14: Stamford, CT
15: Portsmouth, NH
17: Aurora, CO
18: Chicago
19: Washington, DC
20-29: Portsmouth, NH
34-39: Charleston
40-42: New Orleans, LA
45: Portsmouth, NH
50: Los Angeles, CA
51: Miami
53: Seattle
54: Minneapolis
55: Dallas
56: Detroit
57: San Francisco
58: Philadelphia, PA
61-64: Tucson
65: Hot Springs, AR
67: San Juan, PR
68: Portsmouth, NH
69: Portsmouth, NH
71: US embassies/consulates abroad (possibly Portsmouth, NH)
74: Atlanta
75: St Albans, VT
76: San Diego, CA
77: Buffalo, NY
78: El Paso, TX
79: Houston, TX
80: Special Issuance Agency ("Issues diplomatic, official, service, and no-fee regular passports, and facilitates visa processing for those traveling on behalf of the U.S. government.")
95: Online

A list of agencies and their locator numbers is listed on this page under the heading, "List of passport agencies and centers with locator numbers."

H/T Nayef, txviking, and various individual posts both here and on Reddit. If you have a locator not in the above list, check the return address agency name or postmark/ZIP on your returned citizenship docs, or passport card if you applied for one, which may be the processing office, although the address itself is likely to be a PO Box in Sterling, VA in all cases (which appears to be a lockbox location that processes mail for all locations). The passport books are printed in fewer locations, often Hot Springs and Tucson, and may not correspond to the agency where the processing steps occurred. If it doesn’t match the list above, please add or correct.
Print Wikipost

Current US passport wait? (Merged Threads)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
About three weeks. Received them back last week.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 12:17 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Expedited only took one week.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:28 pm

Two new data points from two of my family members:
- 1 standard passport book renewal (no card), mailed 5/10/16, payment processed on 5/15, old and new passport books received in the mail (separate envelopes) on 5/24-- 14 days total.
- 1 standard passport book renewal (no card, but the book is a 52-pager), mailed 5/10/16, payment processed on 5/15, new book received on 6/8-- 29 days total. Still waiting on old book.

Neither was expedited, so no clue why one was 2 weeks faster than the other. In both cases the passport status tracker online updated promptly, but email notifications did not work. I got the "Your passport application is in the final processing stages." status online 1 day before it was sent out 2 day priority mail. NPIC phone support was able to give me the USPS tracking number once it hit final processing. In both cases it arrived a few days earlier than the estimate reflected online, and overall time was 2 and 4 weeks respectively, while the current estimated standard processing time is 6 weeks.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:05 pm

Sent mine off for renewal on 5/20/16 for book and card.
Info received in Philadelphia on 5/23/16, payment processed 5/25/16
Received passport book 6/9/16
Received card 6/10/16
Still waiting on the old passport to come back. All of this was done via standard processing and the Memorial Day holiday was mixed in.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
Sent mine for renewal on 08/08/2016 for book; selected expedited option. Received passport today 08/18/2016.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:47 pm

I just did mine, expedited, through Philly.
- I overnighted it the 7th (because I live on the opposite side of the country)
- Check was cashed on the 8th
- In the online system the 9th
- System said it was done on the 15th
- It arrived today, the 16th

Card and old passport will come back later, I will update then.

In any case, I am pleased!

Update: card arrived a couple days after book, cancelled passport came a couple days after. All three were back inside the two-week period. I had really only expected the book in that timeframe.

Last edited by fwoomp; Dec 10, 2016 at 6:07 am
Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I mailed both my wife and my passport renewals by US First Class mail to Philly on the evening of 11/22. Her's arrived in the mail today (12/9). The old passport was returned in a separate envelope. Processed and received in a little over 2 weeks. Her status online states it's still in final processing and we should get it by 12/11. On budget and early, not typical government work. Mine still says it's being processed.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:42 am

Programs: thpain92
amazing i love you
Old Dec 10, 2016, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Jamea Biggirl
amazing i love you
Wow! Welcome to Flyer Talk!
Old Dec 17, 2016, 3:47 pm

2 renewal apps mailed US First Class mail to Philly on the evening of 11/22

Wife's delivered on 12/9. (Processed and received in a little over 2 weeks.)

Mine delivered today, 12/17 (Processed and received in a little over 3 weeks.)

I'm not sure why mine took more than an extra week. The old passports were returned in a separate envelope.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:09 am

Renewal sent in by ordinary mail: 3 weeks

I sent my renewal application in with my old US passport (not due to expire for another 11 months) on December 9, 2016. The new passport was in my mailbox on December 29, 2016.

As another information point, I mailed everything in using the ordinary mail -- over 2 ounces, so it cost 89 cents in postage. No tracking, no expedited handling. I knew things were working out fine when my check cleared just before Christmas.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I sent my passport in to be renewed January 11th, priority, and was told it would be scheduled to get to Philadelphia on the 13th.

I have the tracking number, and as of January 13th at 4am, it just says in transit to destination (with expected delivery data of January 13th.) Is it possible it did get delivered, but since its to a PO box, it just didn't get scanned? It was last scanned here in Colorado on the 11th, so nothing east of here. My check hasn't been cashed yet.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by BThumme
I sent my passport in to be renewed January 11th, priority, and was told it would be scheduled to get to Philadelphia on the 13th.

I have the tracking number, and as of January 13th at 4am, it just says in transit to destination (with expected delivery data of January 13th.) Is it possible it did get delivered, but since its to a PO box, it just didn't get scanned? It was last scanned here in Colorado on the 11th, so nothing east of here. My check hasn't been cashed yet.
You can check the status of your passport application by phone or online:
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
You can check the status of your passport application by phone or online:
I tried that, but it said not in the system. I just checked USPS site though, and it says it just got to Philadelphia this morning and is delayed, with no new delivery. So it looks like it got stuck somewhere for a couple days. Kind of scary with all the personal information that's on the application. Should get to the processing center soon hopefully.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
20 days not expedited

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.