Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport turnaround times

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2015, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Passport turnaround times

Anyone have recent experience with how long it took to send and receive their passports? I am moving on the 3rd of october to the Netherlands, I sent my application on August 17. I just did standard processing, I am not overly nervous I won't get it but I know they typically send the birth certificate back separately and I am concerned I won't get that in time. But either way if anyone has some recent experience on how long it took that would be insightful. Right now my application still says processing which is what I expected. Thanks
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
You need to tell people what country you live in if you want them to help.
aidy likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:45 am
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by acslaterbro
Anyone have recent experience with how long it took to send and receive their passports? I am moving on the 3rd of october to the Netherlands, I sent my application on August 17. I just did standard processing, I am not overly nervous I won't get it but I know they typically send the birth certificate back separately and I am concerned I won't get that in time. But either way if anyone has some recent experience on how long it took that would be insightful. Right now my application still says processing which is what I expected. Thanks
I renewed my US passport this summer. No special handling paid for. Took 5 weeks from time of arrival at passport office to being sent back to me. Site says expect 4 - 6 weeks, so I fell right in the middle.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
Just renewed mine, sending it off August 1 for standard processing but did request overnight mail return. I received it back on August 27. My old passport was returned three days later. You can check the status of your processing by going to their website. Just google how to check U.S. passport status.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Presuming that we are talking about a US passport with a US address, you cut this extraordinarily close in order to save a few dollars. Post Labor Day the summer doldrums become busy again and you need to allow the full 6 weeks.

I would call the Passport Agency line and see if they will expedite if you provide your ticket confirmations and pay the expedited fees (unless they can tell you that they are popping the thing in the mail that day).

If things get really bad, you can make an appointment with a Passport Agency (toll-free line for appointments) and have a passport in less than four hours. Depending on where you live, you would need to travel to a city with an Agency and hang around while everything is processed.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: GE, AA PLT/2.6MM, BR Gld, Royal Carib. DM+, Celebrity Elite, NCL PLT, Princess Elite
My last two US passports 9.5 years apart, were both expedited, and both took exactly 8 days from the day I sent it in until receipt.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa/1...t-renewal.html

I posted my experience with my recent renewal in that thread.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Recent experience on passport renewals?

Need new one for daughter (minor). Has had previous passports. US citizen as are her parents - no oddities with application.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by drewguy
Recent experience on passport renewals?

Need new one for daughter (minor). Has had previous passports. US citizen as are her parents - no oddities with application.
Same as it has been for decades.

How old is the minor?

Generally for most minors’ renewals, same as for applications for prior renewal passports for the child or for adults — except that both custodial parents generally have to show up for in-person submission of the application. There are some ways around that, as per what state.gov says, but it’s easiest for most when both parents go in together to submit the child’s renewal application at an acceptance facility and have appropriate ID along with proof of parentage of the child just in case.

Processing times for children’s renewal passports are mostly within the same time frame as for adult renewal applications.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Same as it has been for decades.
There seems to be substantial variation as to the turnaround time during those decades, and I'm asking about recent experience on turnaround time.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:44 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by drewguy
There seems to be substantial variation as to the turnaround time during those decades, and I'm asking about recent experience on turnaround time.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:28 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Thanks TWA884 for the referral link. Please visit the very active thread on the subject form future discussion.
drewguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.