Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Domestic destinations with taste of "foreignness"?

Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

wow. Wasn't expecting so many answers in just a few hours!

For me, "foreignness" is a combination of variety of good International food, architecture and a pronounced local culture/energy (e.g. the bustling people in NY, or the "edgy" SF) .

Quebec City and Montreal seems both good idea!
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:54 pm

You can drive from "Guatemala" to "Seoul" in about 10 minutes in Los Angeles, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a weekend getaway.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: Platinum
Honolulu
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:09 pm
Suspended

Only the most dumbed down country can come up with such a stupid question on an international forum.

If there is one country that has nothing "domestic" about itself, it is that melting pot of foreigners called the US.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:20 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I find South Florida to be an adequate imitation of a third world country: poverty, gated communities, crooked cops, and abysmal public investment!
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
Only the most dumbed down country can come up with such a stupid question on an international forum.
How incredibility rude.

The question can certainly be of valid interest for people of different countries.

A person from the China for example may wonder is there any domestic destinations that is European-like. ( There is, for example, the parts of Shanghai that used to be International Settlements )

As for the whole melting pot thing, if everything is indeed melted together, then the final result is obviously significantly different than the source's original foreign form. Said original foreign form can certainly be of valid interest for people that may have exposure to the "melted" form.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

If there is one country that has nothing "domestic" about itself, it is that melting pot of foreigners called the US.
Pompous much?

Originally Posted by Ragnarok
How incredibility rude.

The question can certainly be of valid interest for people of different countries.

A person from the China for example may wonder is there any domestic destinations that is European-like. ( There is, for example, the parts of Shanghai that used to be International Settlements )

As for the whole melting pot thing, if everything is indeed melted together, then the final result is obviously significantly different than the source's original foreign form. Said original foreign form can certainly be of valid interest for people that may have exposure to the "melted" form.
Ignore this poseur. He is very... "inventive," to say the least.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
But say if I am confined to the USA
Not trying to be funny, but is this of the 'restraining order' type? Or just a hypothetical question?

Depending on where you live in the US, going to a true 'foreign' destination (Mexico City, Caracas) may be much closer than somewhere domestic.

That said, I do agree with Montreal, Quebec City, and New Orleans.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
How incredibility rude.
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Pompous much?
Not wishing to feed those who live under bridges, I think you may be missing the point being made (albeit admittedly in a fairly tactless manner). I believe that what is being pointed out it that the US is itself the expression of 'foreignness'; there really is no 'Main Street, Anytown USA 12345', that the rednecks of Kentucky, the bankers of Manhattan, the trawler men of the Alaskan coast, the Cuban immigrants of Miami, the farmers of the midwest, the bimbos of the Valley, etc etc, all contribute to a 'foreign' feel at every corner.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Pompous much?

Ignore this poseur. He is very... "inventive," to say the least.
You tried to spell penseur?

"The Thinker" is indeed a very foreign concept in your domestification.

Ironically, there are 6 copies of the French original in the US:

"Vandals damaged The Thinker at the Cleveland Museum of Art. It remains unrepaired."
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ker_sculptures

-
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
You tried to spell penseur?

"The Thinker" is indeed a very foreign concept in your domestification.

Ironically, there are 6 copies of the French original in the US:

"Vandals damaged The Thinker at the Cleveland Museum of Art. It remains unrepaired."
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ker_sculptures

-
Your constant posturing (status insecurity?) on this forum is vulgar.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Amelorn
I find South Florida to be an adequate imitation of a third world country: poverty, gated communities, crooked cops, and abysmal public investment!
That was not too bad.

Originally Posted by Amelorn
Your constant posturing (status insecurity?) on this forum is vulgar.
Try again
Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:09 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Look into the US territories - both Caribbean and Pacific - definitely different than Peoria.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:46 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

China has a heap of Austrias, Venices, Eiffel Towers, and bumper cars. Surely, none of those nouns come to mind...
Old Jun 19, 2015, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Not trying to be funny, but is this of the 'restraining order' type? Or just a hypothetical question?

Depending on where you live in the US, going to a true 'foreign' destination (Mexico City, Caracas) may be much closer than somewhere domestic.

That said, I do agree with Montreal, Quebec City, and New Orleans.
Oh no. Not restraining order type.

Reading trip reports makes me want to travel. But the vast majority of trip reports are for long haul international trips. Which is great, but I also wonder is there anything domestic (or closer like Canada) that gives a taste of things for less time or budget.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.