Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport Chip Issue - Trip to US in 3 days

Old Jun 8, 2015, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG

When coming back to LGW from TLV this week the UK Immigration Officer told me the chip in my electronic passport was not working (Passport is 5 months old). It wasn't a big deal as he just requested my national photo id (also with a chip).

I have a trip to the US coming up this week and realised that this might be a big issue as your passport is thoroughly checked even before boarding. A friend had a big issue with this some years ago and was even told after a lot of hassle that he flew on his own risk and might as well be on the first flight back after being denied entry.

On the state.gov website I found the quoted information below but is it also the case for visitors?
Is there any way I can check the passport before I leave or should I just try it (as I believe it's still a valid travel document?). I do not have an Android NFC device unfortunately.

What will happen if my electronic passport chip stops working?
The chip in the passport is just one of the many security features of the passport. If the chip fails, the passport remains a valid travel document until its expiration date. You will continue to be processed by the port-of-entry officer as if you had a passport without a chip.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This thread was originally posted in the BA forum, however, as it relates to questions about US immigration requirements for chipped passport rather than BA-specific, it's probably best to move it to the USA forum.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Old Jun 8, 2015, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I believe the more important aspect is the <<<<string of letters/numbers>>>>

That's the bit than gets swiped through the keyboard at most locations.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by AAtticus
When coming back to LGW from TLV this week the UK Immigration Officer told me the chip in my electronic passport was not working (Passport is 5 months old). It wasn't a big deal as he just requested my national photo id (also with a chip).

I have a trip to the US coming up this week and realised that this might be a big issue as your passport is thoroughly checked even before boarding. A friend had a big issue with this some years ago and was even told after a lot of hassle that he flew on his own risk and might as well be on the first flight back after being denied entry.

On the state.gov website I found the quoted information below but is it also the case for visitors?
Is there any way I can check the passport before I leave or should I just try it (as I believe it's still a valid travel document?). I do not have an Android NFC device unfortunately.
My chip wasn't working the first time I flew to the US and I had no problems then or since getting in to the USA (at BOS). I've had more checks getting into the UK with it when it won't scan. YMMV though. Don't forget to get your ESTA before you go.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
My chip wasn't working the first time I flew to the US and I had no problems then or since getting in to the USA (at BOS). I've had more checks getting into the UK with it when it won't scan. YMMV though. Don't forget to get your ESTA before you go.

Thanks for your reply.
ESTA is fine from a trip to the US about 3 weeks ago and also used the same passport then. (Trip to TLV and mention of broken chip was after initial trip to US)
Old Jun 10, 2015, 8:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Some of the UK RFID scanners are malfunctioning. And some are using the claim of non-functioning RFID as an excuse to request more documentation or otherwise ask further questions to delay/observe admissible persons. I'm having someone investigate communications to see if this just turned out like this inadvertently or if it's the result of a training/education module.

The U.S. passports remain valid for use even if/when the RFID chip isn't working. Same goes for UK passports being used at US POEs, but that doesn't mean it won't come with some increased scrutiny by those who are already perceived as suspect in the heads of those with suspect thinking. It rarely presents a problem at US POEs for those with UK passports.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 10, 2015 at 8:41 am
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:38 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Is there any way I can check the passport before I leave...
There are RFID reader apps. Check Google Play or the iPhone App Store.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 2:09 pm

Help

Hi,

Came across this thread while googling - how did you get on with your trip? Was a fuss made of your chip not working?

Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:00 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Bump. Very interested in whether this worked out? I need to head to the US for a couple of work meetings later this year.

My chip (UK passport) has never worked. I've had it since 2013. I'm concerned the new measures will make it difficult for me to gain entry.

I have the added complication of a Somaliland visa/stamp in my passport (which is Somalia for government purposes), and therefore probably need to get a visa before I travel. I just don't know if I need to get a replacement passport before the visa.

Also have various trips booked between now and the US trip so have to plan my passport stuff carefully.

Can anyone shed any light on the RFID chips, and whether they need to be functioning to gain entry to the US? I've been told several times by UK border staff that I cannot go to the US with a broken chip.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rhivolution
Can anyone shed any light on the RFID chips, and whether they need to be functioning to gain entry to the US? I've been told several times by UK border staff that I cannot go to the US with a broken chip.
Don't worry about it. I'd say a solid 5% of chip passports worldwide probably don't work. In fact within the five eyes group (Canada, US, Australia, NZ and the UK), passports can verified electronically anyway just with the machine readable zone. Passport/document scanners will automatically fall back if no chip is read.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JenniferD
Hi,

Came across this thread while googling - how did you get on with your trip? Was a fuss made of your chip not working?

Thanks
It's a daily reality that plenty of valid passports have RFIDs fail and/or that the check scanner fails; and yet passport control is able to process the person for admission using such passports.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. If there is a question about the legitimacy of the passport, there are ways to check out the legitimacy of the passport.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:00 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Don't worry about it. I'd say a solid 5% of chip passports worldwide probably don't work. In fact within the five eyes group (Canada, US, Australia, NZ and the UK), passports can verified electronically anyway just with the machine readable zone. Passport/document scanners will automatically fall back if no chip is read.
^ Thank you.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by rhivolution

I have the added complication of a Somaliland visa/stamp in my passport (which is Somalia for government purposes), and therefore probably need to get a visa before I travel.
is that restriction still in place? Hmm, appears so:
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/visa-waiver-program/visa-waiver-program-improvement-and-terrorist-travel-prevention-act-faq

Personally, I'd apply for a new British passport.

Last edited by toph3r; Jun 30, 2017 at 9:49 pm
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:21 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Yeah. I get questioned about the Somaliland stamp at the UK border every single time I re-enter the country, so I am not looking forward to the same thing by US officials. Early next year I'm also going to Sudan and possibly Yemen. I'm going to be on every government database going.

I'm still waiting for the trade mission to confirm my place on the US trip then I'll call the US embassy and see if they can advise. My strong preference is to travel on my current passport.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Calling the Embassy is a poor use of your time. Either the staffer gets it right and you have good information or the staffer gets it wrong and you are stuck with a poor opinion. Just follow the CBP guidance which makes it clear that as of today, you likely require a visa. If you look further through the CBP guidance, you will find guidance that if you traveled to a designated country after the issuance of your ESTA that you reapply for an ESTA or visa as the case may be.

Under the Act, travelers in the following categories are no longer eligible to travel or be admitted to the United States, without a waiver, under the VWP:

Nationals of VWP countries who have traveled to or been present in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, or Yemen at any time on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited exceptions); and
Nationals of VWP countries who are also nationals of Iraq, Syria, Iran, or Sudan.
These restrictions do not apply to VWP travelers whose presence in Iraq, Syria, Iran, Sudan, Libya, Somalia, or Yemen was to perform military service in the armed forces of a program country, or in order to carry out official duties as a full-time employee of the government of a program country. We recommend those individuals who have traveled to one or more of the seven countries listed above for military/official purposes bring with them appropriate documentation when traveling through a U.S. port of entry. However, these exceptions do not apply to the restriction for dual nationals of one of the subject countries (“dual national restriction”).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.