Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Moderator2
Place holder for ESTA wiki:
Print Wikipost

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just go to the check status option and you can check when it expires and then update it with the current information for flight and address information if it will be current when you travel

If it isn't , then just use the apply option and the new ESTA will supercede the old one
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold GUF Thai Airways Royal Orchid
This ESTA only began this January 2014 so why is it showing expired? My passport is 5 years old.
When I tried to re-apply it comes up with the message that I have an ESTA.
This is what I find confusing & contradictory.
I didn't get a copy of the completed ESTA as it was done by check-in staff in SNN for me
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:47 am

Have you checked which reference number you are using to check your ESTA status? Each application has a unique reference and I think you might be using the old ref that applies to your expired application.

If you reapplied in Jan and you're being told you have an active ESTA, then you do have an active ESTA valid until Jan 2016!
Old Nov 2, 2014, 2:04 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Useful thread thanks, in that it reminded me to renew mine !

Submitted and approved this morning, so one less thing to think about for next trip to US in March...

Now all I have to do is to find flights for Ł0.50p/TP
Old Nov 2, 2014, 3:15 am

I don't have a reference number but you don't need one when checking the status of your ESTA as you use your passport deets & DOB.
I renewed in January but ESTA system is going me conflicting information
Old Nov 2, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
If you're flying next week then you probably should pay the $14 to be sure. Maybe Aer Lingus made a typo on the original which is why it can't be found?

If you have time, email CBP from the ESTA web site.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Nightbus to Dalson
This ESTA only began this January 2014 so why is it showing expired? My passport is 5 years old.
When I tried to re-apply it comes up with the message that I have an ESTA.
This is what I find confusing & contradictory.
I didn't get a copy of the completed ESTA as it was done by check-in staff in SNN for me
How much effort is it worth worrying about a $14 ESTA purchase; get a new one and be done with it
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:15 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Had the same issue when renewing our ESTA's. As someone has previously suggested we just proceeded with the new ESTA. Why take a chance?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:29 am

It's the principle Dave not the cost.
I find this happening more & more with automated IT systems that will not be contradicted or held responsible for flaws in the their systems because they refuse to acknowledge it could be possible.
The people behind these systems often remain totally anonymous & free from direct reproach
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Nightbus to Dalson
It's the principle Dave not the cost.
I find this happening more & more with automated IT systems that will not be contradicted or held responsible for flaws in the their systems because they refuse to acknowledge it could be possible.
The people behind these systems often remain totally anonymous & free from direct reproach
Do you want to travel to the USA on an ESTA or not?

If when you check the ESTA status, it shows as expired , then you have 3 realistic choices; get a new ESTA, not go based on a principle or apply for a visa

Which do you want to do?
Old Nov 2, 2014, 5:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Bear in mind without a vaid esta or visa you are not going to be getting on a plane to start with. Ba will not let you board unless they can see a valid esta or visa associated with your passport.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: BA GGL+CCR, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Dia
Originally Posted by KARFA
Bear in mind without a vaid esta or visa you are not going to be getting on a plane to start with. Ba will not let you board unless they can see a valid esta or visa associated with your passport.
Precisely, the moral of the story is do not let someone else do your esta. Did you speak with Aer Lingus?
Sorry I understand your frustration but no esta no board no matter what excuse you forward.
Not sure homeland security will be interested either, best be sure and get your own.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:01 am

I titled the tread 'ESTA Question' & not 'what do I do if my ESTA has expired'. I'm surprised at the tone of one or two of the replies on what is an open forum for travellers looking for advice & for folks in the know to offer such advice & opinion.

I renewed my ESTA in January this year & paid on my BA AMEX (who helped is not important) & it's now showing as expired when I checked online.
Can anyone offer any reasons why this is the case?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hi all off topic I know but wonder if anyone can answer my question.

I'm trying to update my current ESTA as travelling to the US in a couple of months. It will let me update where i'm staying but not the flight number. Is this a new thing or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited by Deanog1976; Nov 8, 2014 at 3:07 am
Old Nov 11, 2014, 4:06 am

I don't think that you are obliged to enter your flight number.
They may ask for it on the ESTA but it's not compulsory to answer it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.