Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Moderator2
Place holder for ESTA wiki:
Print Wikipost

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain
Just applied for a new ESTA, it's been pending for over an hour. I used to get instant approval but I guess that's a thing of the past. I wonder if it will be slower than usual due to US government shutdown?
Did you read the post above yours?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Indeed, I see on other forums some people have waited 5 minutes and some have waited the whole 72 hours. I guess I become a little to comfortable with instant approval.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 11:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
My post didn’t say anything about how this government shut down may impact the ESTA approval process/processing times.

And I still haven’t found out what I had wanted to find out about the 72-hour thing even before the Trump shut down was a certainty.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder

My post didn’t say anything about how this government shut down may impact the ESTA approval process/processing times.

And I still haven’t found out what I had wanted to find out about the 72-hour thing even before the Trump shut down was a certainty.
Yeah, but some of us can see the grander picture
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:48 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Let's stay apolitical

Posters, please try and keep the thread Omni free. While the shutdown may have effects on ESTA's, let's keep the discussion free of any political orientation.

Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Just my two centavos but today, irrespective of the US government shutdown, I successfully renewed my ESTA (EU passport). While in previous experiences I was always instantly approved, today it took ca. 2 hours for my application to be cleared. Bear in mind CBP does not send a confirmation e-mail, so you need to check your application status through their website by entering your passport and application number and your date of birth.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by ExAbz
FYI

I had problems paying when attempting to renew my ESTA. The CBP site redirects you to https://pay.gov to make the payment and that site failed to connect for me since Sunday 13th May, both from work and home.

After inspecting the network traffic with Wireshark I realised that I was attempting to access pay.gov over IPv6, but the site was not responding correctly. After disabling IPv6 on my PC and restarting Chrome I was able to finally connect to pay.gov and complete the payment.

I've contacted pay.gov to let them know of the issue.
And still the same problem now when trying to pay for my wife's ESTA. Grrr.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Last year I applied for, and received an ESTA (British passport holder). At the time, I was applying because I was going somewhere via the U.S. So in that application, there is a drop down box which said is your visit to the U.S. in transit to somewhere else. Well, at the time, this was true. I was going somewhere else. And, no offence intended, I didn't really think I would be going to America again within the validity of the ESTA (which I think is 2 years). So I selected 'in transit'.

But, now I am going to the U.S. again, not in transit. Do I now have to complete another ESTA application? Or specifically, how do I find out?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have an ESTA, you have an ESTA. If you think about it, the first time you apply for an ESTA you may be going to Florida, and the next time you may go to California, but you do not have to update the ESTA to reflect this (even if you could). It is the same for in transit and a bit like pregnancy - you are or you aren't. You can always check the validity at the ESTA website too. Usually you get an email letting you know you have 30 days left on it (well I did last time) but this time I didn't.
maastrichtmouse likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
SilverFox: Thanks. I had more or less assumed this was the case, but when there is a binary option like that so early in the application, I had perhaps thought it issued a different type of ESTA, for transit only or something. Either way, I received no email, and when I go to check my application status is says approved, or words to that effect. I assume they would tell me if they were planning to revoke the status.

Thank you, it sets my mind at ease.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by maastrichtmouse
Last year I applied for, and received an ESTA (British passport holder). At the time, I was applying because I was going somewhere via the U.S. So in that application, there is a drop down box which said is your visit to the U.S. in transit to somewhere else. Well, at the time, this was true. I was going somewhere else. And, no offence intended, I didn't really think I would be going to America again within the validity of the ESTA (which I think is 2 years). So I selected 'in transit'.

But, now I am going to the U.S. again, not in transit. Do I now have to complete another ESTA application? Or specifically, how do I find out?
If your ESTA shows up as still valid/approved on the DHS/CBP website and your travel and purpose of visit/travel to the US is in compliance with the rules for the US Visa Waiver Program during the validity period of the ESTA, then you are likely fine.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:27 pm

Old I-94W

Hi
Over ten years ago, I visited the US for a week. When I left through LAX I didn’t return (or they didn’t take? I can’t remember how it worked) the green I-94 card in my passport.
I don’t know if my departure (on a commercial airline) was recorded.

I have been granted an ESTA for an upcoming trip, so can I safely assume there are no red flags regarding this previous trip? I have a protected, but very tight, connection and I’m worried I might get held up in Immigration.

Thank you
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will be absolutely fine if that is all you did.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:36 pm

Thanks for that Silver Fox!
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
ESTA on two passports (Merged into the master ESTA thread)

Hello FT'ers,

I have 3 passports, but on the one that I have registered for ESTA, my first name is completely different (Hungarian authorities decided to translate it into their language). I will be transiting the US at MIA in January, but I will travel with another passport that I haven't used in the US before.

I would, of course, have to apply for another ESTA, but would I have to go through the same "first time entering" time-consuming process of having my fingerprints scanned etc, or can I just use the machines? Also, during the ESTA application process, I should probably mention that I have another passport, even if the name is different, no?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.