Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Moderator2
Place holder for ESTA wiki:
Print Wikipost

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:39 am

We don't travel until the beginning of November.

My wife spoke to the ESTA Helpline in Washington DC (+1 202 3443710) who told her she has to apply for a non-immigration visa.

Do you have any idea as to how understanding the visa office is?
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by nsf323
We don't travel until the beginning of November.

My wife spoke to the ESTA Helpline in Washington DC (+1 202 3443710) who told her she has to apply for a non-immigration visa.

Do you have any idea as to how understanding the visa office is?
It's possible that the ESTA helpline is completely separate from the officers who would review mistakes made in applications - try the email I linked to as a first step, since that's the officially reccomended way of rectifying denials due to incorrect information.

If you end up needing to do a Visa application, it is likely to be handled completely independently of the ESTA (you get to answer the terrorism question again, in addition to a ton of other questions, in the DS-160). You'd probably have to explain the ESTA denial during the Visa interview, but it's unlikely to be a huge issue. People get approved with minimal interviewing after visiting "bad" countries.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Automated Passport Control -'different passport?

Hi all. Slightly OT question.

I am travelling to USA later this year on VWP eligible passport and have already obtained ESTA.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...rt-control-apc Says I must have entered US at least once since 2008 - which I have - but was using different passport (since expired) from different country.

I was fingerprinted on last entry.

No change of name.

Can I use APC?

Thanks

Last edited by OxfordBlue; Aug 18, 2016 at 11:42 pm
Old Aug 18, 2016, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by OxfordBlue
Hi all. Slightly OT question.

I am travelling to USA later this year on VWP eligible passport and have already obtained ESTA.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...rt-control-apc Says I mud have entered US at least once since 2008 - which I have - but was using different passport (since expired) from different country.

I was fingerprinted on last entry.

No change of name.

Can I use APC?

Thanks
I'm pretty sure yes you can (or they'd explicitly tell you otherwise). Absolute worst case the kiosk gives you an X, but I have a feeling all foreigners get an X anyways (I guess that helps make sure we get the stamp).
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by televisor
but I have a feeling all foreigners get an X anyways (I guess that helps make sure we get the stamp).
Never got an X, always get stamped by the officer at his little pop-up stand.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:01 am

Thanks
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
What is this x business? Genuinely don't understand ...
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by OxfordBlue
What is this x business? Genuinely don't understand ...
If you use an APC kiosk (automated passport control), it prints out a slip with your details and photo. If you're for some reason marked as suspicious, or if there were fingerprint issues, or for any reason really, you can get a large X on the receipt, see the photo at the top of this article (I don't think the receipt is real, they're usually vertical):

https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyl...DDP/story.html

If you get an X you then stand in a separate line while waiting to speak to an immigration officer (sometimes it's faster, sometimes it's slower than the normal lines).

Note: the APC kiosks are only in use at some airports, at some airports they're only for US citizens, at some airports they're for US citizens and ESTA users. The kiosk replaces the blue forms, you do your declarations on-screen. IIRC the kiosks also take fingerprints for foreigners, I'm not sure if the immigration officers then take another set of fingerprints or not (I use GE nowadays, which is a separate system).

(Global Entry has a similar X system, in that case X means you aren't admitted into the country for whatever reason, and you need to speak to immigration, no X means you're admitted, and don't need to speak to immigration.)
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:38 am

Hello everyone,

After Christmas I will be flying to Montreal and then go to the US via a land border, and will then fly back to Europe from the US. I know that I don't need ESTA for entering the US via a land border (but of course eTA for Canada), but I was wondering if it makes any difference at the land border?
The reason why I'm asking even though it's clearly not required is that the last time I entered the US via a land border in summer 2015 (and had an active ESTA), the border agent asked me if I had it.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Arctifox
Hello everyone,

After Christmas I will be flying to Montreal and then go to the US via a land border, and will then fly back to Europe from the US. I know that I don't need ESTA for entering the US via a land border (but of course eTA for Canada), but I was wondering if it makes any difference at the land border?
The reason why I'm asking even though it's clearly not required is that the last time I entered the US via a land border in summer 2015 (and had an active ESTA), the border agent asked me if I had it.
I've heard that having an ESTA saves the officer some typing at land borders (not sure what data they use, posibly the destination address?), but it's definitely not needed to cross land-borders, so in your position I'd not bother with wasting money on an ESTA.

As of recently, you can seemingly pre-apply for the I-94 online. I have a suspicion that that provides the same benefits as an ESTA in terms of providing data to the CBP officer in advance, making the process a bit faster. You'll still have to deal with fingerprinting/photographing/interviewing, so it's still going to be a rigmarole regardless, but it might save a little bit of time:
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/

There's one interesting post on FT which suggest that re-entry (but not initial entry) on a valid I-94 (which presumably includes digital I-94s) avoids the additional processing, but that's not too relevant here, and not directly relevant to ESTA either:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23113389-post4.html

Last edited by televisor; Oct 23, 2016 at 8:22 am
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:01 am

I've heard that having an ESTA saves the officer some typing at land borders (not sure what data they use, posibly the destination address?), but it's definitely not needed to cross land-borders, so in your position I'd not bother with wasting money on an ESTA.

As of recently, you can seemingly pre-apply for the I-94 online. I have a suspicion that that provides the same benefits as an ESTA in terms of providing data to the CBP officer in advance, making the process a bit faster. You'll still have to deal with fingerprinting/photographing/interviewing, so it's still going to be a rigmarole regardless, but it might save a little bit of time:
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/

There's one interesting post on FT which suggest that re-entry (but not initial entry) on a valid I-94 (which presumably includes digital I-94s) avoids the additional processing, but that's not too relevant here, and not directly relevant to ESTA either:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23113389-post4.html
Thanks for the information. So if that's the only difference I will not get a new ESTA. The one time I entered the US with ESTA I did indeed have to go through the whole procedure, including stating the address of my first night.

Actually I have experienced the same thing as the person in the post you linked. When I was first in the US and came back by the land border, I didn't have to get out of the car and they hardly asked any questions.

Anyway, thanks also for the information about the I-94 application, I will look into that and might do it when the trip comes closer (I saw it's valid for 7 days only after creating).
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Arctifox
Thanks for the information. So if that's the only difference I will not get a new ESTA. The one time I entered the US with ESTA I did indeed have to go through the whole procedure, including stating the address of my first night.

Actually I have experienced the same thing as the person in the post you linked. When I was first in the US and came back by the land border, I didn't have to get out of the car and they hardly asked any questions.

Anyway, thanks also for the information about the I-94 application, I will look into that and might do it when the trip comes closer (I saw it's valid for 7 days only after creating).
Interesting, and good to know about the re-entry case: I've actively avoided doing land-entries so far, but now I know I could at least consider it without holding up any fellow passengers. Did you still get fingerprinting on that trip, or did they just trust your passport photo?

I'd also be interested in hearing about the online I-94 experience if you go down that route, I think it only appeared in the last month - so there aren't any reports on FT (or anywhere else that I've been able to see)!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:30 pm

Interesting, and good to know about the re-entry case: I've actively avoided doing land-entries so far, but now I know I could at least consider it without holding up any fellow passengers. Did you still get fingerprinting on that trip, or did they just trust your passport photo?

I'd also be interested in hearing about the online I-94 experience if you go down that route, I think it only appeared in the last month - so there aren't any reports on FT (or anywhere else that I've been able to see)!
No, they did not take any pictures or finger prints of me. I was sitting in the passenger seat of the car, the driver did almost all of the talking (I just said "yes" once or twice, I think). I have only done this once though on the land border from Canada to the US. The other time when I entered (and not just returned to the US) I had to do the fingerprinting and picture, etc.

I'll be happy to share my experience after I've done it (early January).
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:38 am

As planned I entered the US with a land border and the online I94 by car (together with a US citizen). After the first interview we had to pull over for them to take my fingerprints and picture in their office. Both border agents that I talked to from within the car and the office asked me about ESTA and I mentioned the online I94. It seems that not all of the border agents are aware of this online I94 (yet), and I had to give the destination address again, but I didn't have to pay another 6$. So in the end I don't really know if it made any difference compared to having an active ESTA or having nothing at all.

However, I did notice after some time that there was a flyer advertising the online I94 in the office, and the message was something like "now you can pay for your I94 in advance", so maybe that's the main point of it?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Dual citizenship/Esta declaration mistake...

A friend of a friend had dual citizenship Canadian/French. For some reason she decided to travel on her French passport, and filled out an ESTA.

Having diabetes, and not really thinking she ticked yes to the question about being a drug addict or having an infectious disease like cholera, two days later the ESTA came back as denied.

She's tried to call in but the phone doesn't picked up and the trip is in a few days, apparently she could resubmit her application after 10 days, but the trip is before that.

What would happen if she were to travel on her Canadian passport?

CBP says this about mistakes:

You answered a question about your eligibility to travel to the U.S. under the visa waiver program incorrectly and were denied authorization as a result.

If you misunderstood the question, or thought something in your background was a reason to be denied and found out later that it was not, we advise you to contact us so we can review your answer. You should send us an email (see instructions below) explaining why you selected "yes" to that question, and asking for clarification on next steps.

If you discover that you are not eligible to come to the U.S. under the visa waiver program, because of a an arrest or conviction for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious harm to another person or govenment entity (such as fraud, or possession of narcotics), a violation of any law related to possessing, using, or distributing illegal drugs, or other reason, your only option is to apply for a visa. At that time your previous actions, along with your current situation will be assessed, and the embassy may determine that you are now eligible to come to the U.S. on a visitor or other type of visa. If you lie on your ESTA application and are able to board a plane because of the deception, when you arrive, you will be removed and banned from entering the U.S. for up to 5 years.

Last edited by aceman; Jan 8, 2017 at 2:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.