Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Citizen & Non-Citizen Parent Clearing US Immigration and Customs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Can my elderly mother, who is a non-citizen (green card/Resident card holder), enters the US Citizen CBP (Customs and Border Protection) line with me (A US Citizen) in order to clear immigration at port of entry to the US at MIA; or can I go to the non-citizen line with her since I have to assist her in most everything she does nowadays. We both lives in the same household so we would fill out one CBP form (we have the same last name). We are both planning an overseas trip and could not find this answer anywhere through Google.

I have searched the CBP's website but no mentioned of this or similar scenario answered. I searched Flyertalk's forums and came across two old threads dated somewhere between '07 and '08, but after reading through them, I'm still not sure what the correct answer is.

I understand that rules changes all the time, so I am grateful for the vast knowledge and experience that people shared on this lovely forum everyday. In this case I am sure someone here must have had this similar situation and would like to share what worked for them. I would hate for those CBP officers to get upset at me for making a simple mistake with my mother.

Thank you.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...izen-line.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...ether-lax.html
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:26 am

I don't know if she could come with you to the US Citizen line, but you can definitely go with her to the GC/Resident line. I had been directed to go to the Resident line many times when those seem to be more empty. The only problem is that sometime it actually takes longer even when there were only one family in the line. I think it took them about 10 minutes to clear because they don't speak english and custom has to bring another visitor from a different line to translate for them. When I got cleared, the US Citizen line was completely empty.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:31 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 5:09 pm
Old Apr 23, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Don't know what situation in MIA is but in SFO/LAX/SEA signs clearly say: US citizens and permanent residents.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HH Diamond

It depends on the port of entry. At DFW, US Citizens can use the computerized lane to scan their passports and click a few buttons at the kiosk and zip through. In this case non-citizens have to use the other visitor lanes. There is no dedicated lanes for PR.
At LAX all then lanes are manned by agents and there are lanes for "US Citizens AND Permanent Residents". Not sure about thr setup at MIA.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat., UA Plat., HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I believe you can bring your mother into the US citizen line at Miami.

They will have you use the kiosks, which of course will spit you out into the immigration line. There is usually a helper near the kiosks who can answer your questions. Either way, its certain that you can stay with your mother as the two of you clear immigration and customs.

Miami has consistently been one of the worst BP/immigration/customs experiences out of all the hubs I fly into, even with the kiosks. To be certain you make your connection flight give yourself 3 hours if you are checking bags, 2.5 hours if you are not. The holdup is usually the security screening after clearing customs, but there can be long delays at all three lines (immigration, customs, and security).
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the prompt response. Yes MIA is a disaster to fly into on an international flight. As soon as I enter immigration I will asked a rep to tell me which lane I should enter into with my mother. Two months ago I got off a flight from Grand Cayman and used those kiosk for the fist time. It wasn't too bad. Can a permanent resident/green card holder use those kiosk?
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Yes, your mother as green card holder can use the "US Citizens / Permanent Residents" line.

<Rant>Given the current desires of CBP to exercise additional screening of Permanent Residents that line can really suck for Citizens. I have watched Visitors go though faster. Just hope you do not get behind flights coming from Mexico or Central American that have lots of green card holders.</Rant>
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:42 am

If she is elderly - request a wheelchair.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:16 am

Programs: UA Star Gold (lifetime)
Will be traveling with a good friend, NOT a US citizen. Can I go to the non citizen line. Additionally, I will be traveling with an official passport. Could I bring him with me to that line? Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by no more lurking
Will be traveling with a good friend, NOT a US citizen. Can I go to the non citizen line. Additionally, I will be traveling with an official passport. Could I bring him with me to that line? Thanks!
A US citizen on a US official type passport can use the non-citizen visitors line.

Non-citizens who aren't part of the same household and/or travel party shouldn't use the US citizens line unless directed there by CBP.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Additionally, I would not want to use an official passport and use it to gain what may be perceived as favorable treatment (even though this is not really that favorable) for a third-party, friend or not. This is the stuff of minor IG investigations.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
Additionally, I would not want to use an official passport and use it to gain what may be perceived as favorable treatment (even though this is not really that favorable) for a third-party, friend or not. This is the stuff of minor IG investigations.
What favorable treatment for that FTer's friend? That person would still be subject to routine CBP processing.

The notion of an IG investigation on such matter is amusing, but it's like counting on a proverbial black swan being shot by CBP at a US airport of entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.