Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Domestic travel with a USA passport which had been lost, replaced, found.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

This is something I can't seem to find relevant information on the internet about. I am only finding passport application status info, not actual passport status info.
I thought I lost my passport years ago during a move (sometime around 2009). This passport was valid through 2019. I never reported it lost, but I applied for, and received a new passport when I had to travel to asia in July of this year.
In an ironic twist of fate, i ended up losing the newer passport (2012), along with my current driver's license, and finding the old one from 2009.
I have to travel domestically in a few days. is my old passport (which states it is valid through 2019), still able to get me through domestic TSA checkpoints?
or will it show to them that i had a new passport issued, making it invalid?

the key point here is that i am traveling domestically this trip. I would be using the passport for ID only, not entry into another country. does this matter within the united states (as a US citizen?)

thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
it will work as ID for the TSA. They just look at it. I think even an expired passport works for this.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
They only check the date and picture. You should be ok.

I've got through tsa with a Costco card prior when I lost my license.
They aren't that stringent.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:13 am
Original Poster

thanks guys!
i totally believe the costco card thing. i fly from miami, unfortunately it's pretty much a free-for-all compared to other (more organized/strict) airports.
i've been hassled for an expired license before, but 95% certain that was at ORD.
just wanted to make sure they don't tap into some top secret state dept mainframe, but then again it's the TSA and i should know better.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
TSA won't give you a hard time, but do remember that it's a violation of State's rules not to immediately return the "lost" passport to State, something you agreed to do back when you reported it lost.

If, for instance you get in an accident and the police use the passport to ID you, it will show up as "lost/stolen."

So, the caution is not to worry about the checkpoint, but to worry a good deal about not returning the passport to State.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by djjessicawho
thanks guys!
i totally believe the costco card thing. i fly from miami, unfortunately it's pretty much a free-for-all compared to other (more organized/strict) airports.
i've been hassled for an expired license before, but 95% certain that was at ORD.
just wanted to make sure they don't tap into some top secret state dept mainframe, but then again it's the TSA and i should know better.
One thing thats often overlooked in the lost license scenario is car rental. For instance, it is impossible to rent a car in California without a valid license. So if you lose yours, you'll be hoofing it or taking cabs.

Its worthy of noting, since this is often the follow up question to "I've made it through TSA with my costco card, now how do I _____."
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Often1, if you read again, I never reported the 2009 passport lost. I had a feeling it would pop up eventually, so I never did.
When i had to work in asia earlier this year, i went to the passport office and expedited a new one, but never mentioned (nor did they), that i had another passport issued prior.

Same situation goes for that 'current' new passport issued this year. I move around a lot, so I assume it is in one of many file folders and will show up eventually. Therefor I have never actually reported any passports as lost or stolen.

I realize I may sound completely irresponsible but often times I am just rushed or overworked and tend to misplace things.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 7:51 am
Original Poster

thanks austin!
luckily i never have to drive myself when traveling for work so making it there is my only obstacle. i have car services or pickup as part of my contract, and i'm never in one place for more than 2 days.
i did actually order a new license about 10 days ago but it has yet to show up so i started getting nervous. thanks for the help!
Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Thread moved to TravelBuzz! because the question is not related to miles or points, but it may be a better fit for one of the Travel Security forums.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 8:51 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You will not have any problem with the TSA, they only care about the name and the picture.

Having two valid passports may eventually catch up to you, I would be careful if I was trying to enter the country. I don't think the "well, you never asked so I never mentioned it" will always work if you get an immigration officer who is having a bad day. I would get that straightened out.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This is something I can't seem to find relevant information on the internet about. I am only finding passport application status info, not actual passport status info.
I thought I lost my passport years ago during a move (sometime around 2009). This passport was valid through 2019. I never reported it lost, but I applied for, and received a new passport when I had to travel to asia in July of this year.
In an ironic twist of fate, i ended up losing the newer passport (2012), along with my current driver's license, and finding the old one from 2009.
I have to travel domestically in a few days. is my old passport (which states it is valid through 2019), still able to get me through domestic TSA checkpoints?

the key point here is that i am traveling domestically this trip. I would be using the passport for ID only, not entry into another country. does this matter within the united states (as a US citizen?)

thanks!
For domestic US travel, it will work just fine. For international travel by air, do not use it. Even if domestic travel is within 100 miles of a US port of entry, there is some possibility that it could also lead to some problems to have/use it, but unlikely.

The lost-yet-rediscovered passport is still prima facie evidence of US citizenship. I would suggest making an appointment with a US Passport Agency office and go in for a replacement passport and explain the situation to them. You could do that after your domestic trip is completed.

You actually don't even need ID to fly domestically but they will try to interrogate you using various databases, none of which are connected to the State Department's passport records.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
This is only for TSA at the airport? You don't have a DL?

You should have no issues, but:

We understand passengers occasionally arrive at the airport without an ID, due to lost items or inadvertently leaving them at home. Not having an ID, does not necessarily mean a passenger won't be allowed to fly. If passengers are willing to provide additional information, we have other means of substantiating someone's identity, like using publicly available databases.

Not relevant to OP, but in reply to the above on an expired passport:
Q. Can I fly with an expired ID?
A. If you lose your primary ID or it has expired, TSA may accept other forms of ID to help verify your identity.
My read is that an expired ID, regardless of type, is just like no ID. Though it may help when it comes down to the subjective "other means of substantiating someone's identify"
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CPRich
My read is that an expired ID, regardless of type, is just like no ID. Though it may help when it comes down to the subjective "other means of substantiating someone's identify"
Domestic government-issued photo ID expired less than one year is most frequently accepted by the TSA without any additional questioning or other means employed by the TSA to identify people.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold

thanks!
Yikes.

If I understand correctly, if the old passport is valid till 2019, then (assuming 10-year validity), it was pretty much brand new in 2009 when you lost it. Now, 3 years later, you applied for and received a new passport, which you lost within the same year. Neither loss was reported.

I'd think that CPB is going to have some concerns with a situation where an individual has lost a new passport twice within a span of 4 years, and never reported the losses. To avoid potential serious hassles on future trips, I'd suggest you go to a passport agency office and get this all straightened out before you attempt any future international travel.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 3:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK you are "required" to report a lost or stolen passport (although I'm not sure of the definitions and misplaced might not be the same as officially lost), but you can have more than one USA passport. (The concern is that someone else might fraudulently try to use or alter the stolen or lost passport.) People sometimes do this if they travel to countries where having stamps from other countries could be a problem or even if their travel patterns make getting visas difficult. I don't know what permission or procedures are needed for this.

Others maintain one official (i.e., diplomatic or for government business travel) passport and a second one for private tourist trips, perhaps keeping an old "private" passport for use after leaving government service..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.