Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Joining Global Entry program (Merged Threads)

UK Joining Global Entry program (Merged Threads)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 3, 18, 7:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: TWA884
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 20, 12, 5:42 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 139
UK Joining Global Entry program (Merged Threads)

Has anyone completed this yet? How long did it take?
cutting42 is offline  
Old Apr 20, 12, 5:49 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Here and there
Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
Posts: 508
AFAIK UK peeps can't join Global Entry.

"Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, Dutch citizens, and Mexican nationals. Canadian citizens and residents may enjoy Global Entry benefits through membership in the NEXUS program."
peterrabbit is offline  
Old Apr 20, 12, 5:49 am
  #3  
Ambassador
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Frankfurt
Posts: 1,755
I was under the impression that UK nationals aren't eligible.
BA304 is offline  
Old Apr 20, 12, 6:44 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: E
Programs: MSC (Miles Slut Club); Cunard- Diamond 300+; Princess- Elite 200+; RCCL- D Plus; QF LTG; CA P
Posts: 4,477
Why Dutch but not British? Aren't we have special relationship with US?
chongcao is offline  
Old Apr 20, 12, 7:01 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Here and there
Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
Posts: 508
Originally Posted by chongcao View Post
Why Dutch but not British? Aren't we have special relationship with US?
I think the dutch have some reciprocal arrangement.
peterrabbit is offline  
Old Apr 20, 12, 8:01 am
  #6  
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: London, UK
Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Posts: 10,696
Yes it is horrid that they won't allow to apply. I think Canada has a scheme which allows them to use the automatic border crossing. So much for the 'Special Relationship'.
Markie is offline  
Old Apr 20, 12, 8:20 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London
Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Posts: 2,823
The GOES web site is very vague, but eventually I found:

Residents of the United Kingdom applying for Global Entry must use a promotional code and police certificate number during the application process with GOES (Global On-line Enrollment System). Promotional codes were randomly issued to a select number of persons and unfortunately; if you are not in possession of a promotional code, you will not qualify for the Global Entry program.
nbevan is offline  
Old Apr 20, 12, 8:33 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: London
Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Posts: 1,594
Originally Posted by peterrabbit View Post
AFAIK UK peeps can't join Global Entry.

"Global Entry is open to U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, Dutch citizens, and Mexican nationals. Canadian citizens and residents may enjoy Global Entry benefits through membership in the NEXUS program."
Not quite. There were a few hundred 'pilot scheme' codes issued to the UK. The number was very limited and not available to all applicants.

This was test scheme: unless you were invited into it - with a unique code - the rule you state above does hold true (for now). The good news is that if the test goes well, then maybe things will open up.

The very limited number of codes were distributed to the most frequent UK-US flyers by the powers that be - including via GGL. These were distributed based on previous flying/INS patterns and were offered, not requestable.
(Just to be clear, at present you have to be asked, you cannot ask to join.)

In terms of the OP question: Once you have registered, got your police cerficate (aloow 4 weeks), paid the US$100 it can all go v quiet for several weeks. Once the background checks are complete (you will need to list every country you have visited and when), you will then be told you have reached the stage where you need to attend an interview with INS at a US airport where they have a CBP office. You can book this online. This, if all goes well and is successful, will see you registered. All in all allow aorund 2-3 months assuming you visit the US a lot to enable you to complete the last bit.

Overall, I have to say its a travel changing experience. Plane door to cab in 5-10 mins is very possible - even at JFK.
DFB_london is offline  
Old Apr 20, 12, 11:54 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: London UK
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 2,003
Originally Posted by DFB_london View Post
you will need to list every country you have visited and when
Ever? That's gonna be one hell of a long list for a lot of FTers
britenbsas is offline  
Old Apr 20, 12, 11:58 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London
Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Posts: 2,823
Originally Posted by britenbsas View Post
Ever? That's gonna be one hell of a long list for a lot of FTers
In the online form I filled out before I found that I was not eligible, I had to list all the countries that I had visited in the last 5 years (Tripit is a great asset!).
nbevan is offline  
Old Apr 20, 12, 6:58 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by DFB_london View Post
Not quite. There were a few hundred 'pilot scheme' codes issued to the UK. The number was very limited and not available to all applicants.

This was test scheme: unless you were invited into it - with a unique code - the rule you state above does hold true (for now). The good news is that if the test goes well, then maybe things will open up.

The very limited number of codes were distributed to the most frequent UK-US flyers by the powers that be - including via GGL. These were distributed based on previous flying/INS patterns and were offered, not requestable.
(Just to be clear, at present you have to be asked, you cannot ask to join.)

In terms of the OP question: Once you have registered, got your police cerficate (aloow 4 weeks), paid the US$100 it can all go v quiet for several weeks. Once the background checks are complete (you will need to list every country you have visited and when), you will then be told you have reached the stage where you need to attend an interview with INS at a US airport where they have a CBP office. You can book this online. This, if all goes well and is successful, will see you registered. All in all allow aorund 2-3 months assuming you visit the US a lot to enable you to complete the last bit.

Overall, I have to say its a travel changing experience. Plane door to cab in 5-10 mins is very possible - even at JFK.
Thanks for the reply, I have been invited by BA and given a code so have just applied today having received my police certificate. Will look forward to the next stages. I am in the US most months so should not be an issue.
cutting42 is offline  
Old Apr 20, 12, 8:02 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,799
Originally Posted by chongcao View Post
Why Dutch but not British? Aren't we have special relationship with US?
The Dutch were one of the first to recognize the US as an independent country - so it makes perfect sense to me.
erik123 is offline  
Old Apr 20, 12, 11:19 pm
  #13  
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: London, UK
Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Posts: 10,696
Glad something is happening, having just been Security Cleared one would hope the Police Certificate would be a formality. Of course, if BA is issuing the certs number then I won't get one as most of my historic transatlantic travel is on UA!
Markie is offline  
Old Apr 21, 12, 4:57 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LHR
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 50
Customer 02/01/2012 07:20 PM
When will British citizens be able to enrol onto the Global Entry program? I note that it is currently open to those with a promotional code - presumably as a trial scheme. Can you give me any indication when it likely to be more widely available?

Response 02/14/2012 08:35 AM
Currently we are not aware of the roll out date when this will be available for other UK nationals to use the Global Entry Program. Please continue to check our web site for updates on this program.
Phinn is offline  
Old Apr 21, 12, 5:04 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA
Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Glob
Posts: 2,610
GE would definitely help UK residents move through immigration & customs quicker.

Now is IRIS still available for US citizens? Americans often have to wait an hour or longer to get through UK passport control as well...
Time traveller is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: