Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

UK Joining Global Entry program (Merged Threads)

UK Joining Global Entry program (Merged Threads)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 3, 18, 7:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: TWA884
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 1, 13, 9:03 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by TomCayman View Post
After my last post,.....!
Tom, do what I did. Day trip to Miami. Ok, 400 bucks, but its worth it, especially after the hassle you have had!! Loads of spaces at MIA just now as well.
Old Nov 1, 13, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger View Post
Yes you need to call a GE center and give them the new visa number. For visa holders it's all about the visa - that's the page of your passport that is scanned in the machine, not the passport details page.
When they typed my visa in incorrectly and I phoned up to tell them this, they said good job you did or the system wouldn't recognize you. There is no place to update visa info on your account. When you get your new visa, I don't know if they need to see it or you can just call the office with the number.

Re the big X on first entry, I have read a few things about this. If you check this link to the FLUX website, it gives more info about which visa classes require you to visit primary inspection on the first visit.
Whether that includes UK passport holders I don't know yet. First use of GE for me in a couple of weeks.

https://www.flux-alliance.eu/frequen..._with_my_visa/
I have an L-1 visa. At my interview, I was specifically told to scan the passport details page, not the visa, so that's what I have been scanning at the kiosks. Having said that, my passport failed to scan at YVR last week, so I had to type in the passport number manually.

The first time I used Global Entry, I got an X and had to visit both primary inspection and also secondary.
Old Nov 1, 13, 2:04 pm

Programs: BD/BA G, VS G, SQ S, Hilton Honors D, IHG S/A, SPG G, CC G, Hertz PC
Now fully approved Helpful and friendly CBP officer at SJU (availability wide open at this location!) - as per the invite had to phone them to gain access to the GE Enrolment area as the intercom is out of action. Taken half an hour early, asked for passport, driving licence and police cert (Disclosure Scotland PVG cert accepted without an issue). Didn't need my conditional approval letter or proof of address (although I guess the driving licence has that on it anyway!). Went through confirming all my details then took photo and fingerprints. Confirmed and chatted about the various countries I'd visited over the last five years! Then taken through how to use the GE machine and saw the sample printouts. Email received re. status change whilst searching for the bus stop at SJU outside! (not the easiest to find ). A very painless process and the officer seemed to find it a bit of a novelty too as I was the first non-US citizen they'd processed. They asked out of interest why I was applying for GE and I said for $20/year it was a good way to reduce the hassle - they wholeheartedly agreed! Interestingly the expiry seems linked to my DOB so actually a little over 5 years eligbility, which is nice!

Shame we still have to pay for ESTA in addition to GE but looking forward to making use of the latter - almost disappointed no immigration when returning from SJU
Old Nov 2, 13, 3:05 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT, FB Silver, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by slate View Post
I have an L-1 visa. At my interview, I was specifically told to scan the passport details page, not the visa, so that's what I have been scanning at the kiosks. Having said that, my passport failed to scan at YVR last week, so I had to type in the passport number manually.

The first time I used Global Entry, I got an X and had to visit both primary inspection and also secondary.
That's interesting slate. I have now spoken to 3 CBP officers who told me to scan my visa page, not my passport page. Argh. I hate inconsistency. If anyone else knows better, do post here.
Then again the same CBP officer told me my GE card would be in the post in 10 days and we all know that's not true.
Between the two pages, hopefully something should work...
Old Nov 2, 13, 4:11 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger View Post
That's interesting slate. I have now spoken to 3 CBP officers who told me to scan my visa page, not my passport page. Argh. I hate inconsistency. If anyone else knows better, do post here.
Then again the same CBP officer told me my GE card would be in the post in 10 days and we all know that's not true.
Between the two pages, hopefully something should work...
Maybe it doesn't matter. As I found at YVR, if you can't scan the passport, the machine asks you to pick your country and then enter the passport number. No option to enter the visa number. So I guess it just reads the passport number from the visa page.
Old Nov 2, 13, 5:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EDIflyer View Post
Taken half an hour early, asked for passport, driving licence and police cert (Disclosure Scotland PVG cert accepted without an issue). Didn't need my conditional approval letter or proof of address (although I guess the driving licence has that on it anyway!).
My grandma got done in Las Vegas the other week, which was a bit of a hoot, other than the officers kept referring to me as her son. She used Basic Disclosure Scotland, didn't seem to be a problem, though it is not specifically listed as an opton in the documentation. The invitation letter was cast aside, but they did scan her HMRC Tax Coding letter as proof of address. They didn't bother with the video or demonstration "as your son can show you how to do it". Lot of laughter all round:

TSA officer "So you were born, oh my goodness...."
Grandma in full on Golden Girls mode "Are you saying I'm old?"
TSA officer (struggling somewhat with his diversity training) "Er no, um...."
Me: "She's old"
Grandma: "You can shut up".

Questions asked were: how many times do you visit the USA, business or pleasure, where do you typically enter the US (in other words checking against the information gained upon entry).
Old Nov 2, 13, 6:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Anyone have an extra Larry code they're not using?
Old Nov 2, 13, 7:35 am

Programs: BD/BA G, VS G, SQ S, Hilton Honors D, IHG S/A, SPG G, CC G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
TSA officer "So you were born, oh my goodness...."
Grandma in full on Golden Girls mode "Are you saying I'm old?"
TSA officer (struggling somewhat with his diversity training) "Er no, um...."
Me: "She's old"
Grandma: "You can shut up".
Haha, I love it - go Grandma c-w-s!
Old Nov 2, 13, 7:45 am

Programs: DL PM, AA GLD.
Apologies if this has already been asked.

i was given conditional approval on 29th Oct. I am next in the US around Thanksgiving, but at present all of the possible slots I could do at ATL are taken.

I see the 30 day time limit, but it isn't clear exactly what this means.

Is it you must do the interview within 30 days of the offer?

Or, is it just you have to schedule an interview within that period - in other words, as long as I log in and book something before the end of November, it doesn't actually matter when the interview takes place?

Finally, reference is made to taking "some documents" proving address. How many is "some" ?

Many thanks,
Old Nov 2, 13, 9:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rpjepson View Post
Or, is it just you have to schedule an interview within that period - in other words, as long as I log in and book something before the end of November, it doesn't actually matter when the interview takes place?
My understanding is that you need to get an interview down in the system within 30 days, but you could have the appointment date to be after 30 days, or reschedule it later on. Have a good look at locations around ATL, some places are much easier to get to, and in any case you may be able to try to get either a cancelled appointment or a walk in at ATL. If you don't get the appointment in you will get a series of ever more urgent emails reminding you of the deadline.

When you have scheduled the interview you get a letter detailing your documents, but as a minima it seems to be passport, proof of being a good boy (or girl), proof of address linked to your ESTA and GE address(es). Driving licence is fine for this, but they're ok with utility bills and letters from government bodies.
Old Nov 4, 13, 8:57 pm

Programs: Various
SEA has pretty good availability for interviews if you're over this way.

My conditional approval took some time like others have mentioned, applied early September and notified late last week. Interviews were available from tomorrow onwards.
Old Nov 6, 13, 6:02 am

Programs: VS Silver BA Exec Silver
I realise the official policy is not to send Global Entry cards to non residents.

However a few people have stated that they will get the card anyway.
I suspect this is down to the DHS officer not knowing the difference.

Anyway has any non-resident (excluding Mexicans and Canadians) got one?
Just curious?
Old Nov 6, 13, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Marriot Plat Prem, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
Just tried to get a code from both BA gold line and Larry Panetta - but no joy. He replied "At this time, we are no longer accepting additional Global Entry applications from citizens of the UK."
Does anyone have any idea when more codes might become available?
Old Nov 8, 13, 7:50 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
My grandma got done in Las Vegas the other week......
Oh dear!!

Seriously, that did make me laugh. Ever need someone willing to speak their mind? Employ a granny. Job done!
Old Nov 8, 13, 3:04 pm

Jersey resident for Global Entry

I've got my Larry code, got my ACRO certificate, and now cold feet. I am a British citizen, born in UK, but with a British (rather than UK) passport, as I live in Jersey. British gets me in under the Visa Waiver Scheme but if I apply for Global Entry I am a bit worried they may say no because I live in Jersey, and then that gives me hassle for future trips. Thoughts?

Search this Thread