Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Most secure domestic document shipping (USA)?

Old Apr 1, 2012, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Hello chaps,

Hope you lads had a nice weekend. Please move/delete this thread if it does not belong here.

I need to send of my important documents (e.g. passport) via overnight shipping to the UK Embassy in Washington DC from Houston, TX.

I had a bad experience with FedEx Ground last month, when sending a letter to a company in Boston. Obviously FedEx Express is handled differently.

However, could you tell me if you have any preference for FedEx/UPS/USPS when shipping important documents, and any additional services that you can add which will make them handle the package more carefully?

I know of the regular insurance feature, but any other value added services that you know of?

Or is there some other carrier which is more suitable for shipping important documents domestically?

Thanks
Andrew
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Registered Mail is likely to be your most secure option.
Registered Mail

What are the characteristics of Registered Mail?
  • The most secure United States Postal Service mail (protected by safes, cages, sealed containers, locks and keys).
  • Requires a signature upon delivery.
  • Delivery information will provide delivery status or attempted delivery status when the item reaches its destination, it will not provide tracking of the item as it is enroute to its destination.
  • Customers can obtain a record of delivery by purchasing Return Receipt Service.
  • Registered Mail can be sent to military locations. However, delivery information is not available for items destined to an APO / FPO.
  • A system of receipts is provided to monitor movement of mail from the point of acceptance to delivery. Access to these receipts is not readily accessible and can only be done by initiating a claim form (not a phone service).
  • ID numbers typically begin with two letters ("R" followed by another letter) followed by nine numbers and the letters "US", for example: RA 000 000 000 US, the ID number can be located in the upper left-hand corner of the receipt.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:18 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

+1
Definitely, Registered Mail.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:34 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
+2. Registered Mail when OVERNIGHT is not mandatory. It may not be the FASTEST, however, it is the most secure.

I'd personally use FedEx overnight if you absolutely, positively have to have it delivered OVERNIGHT. You stated "Overnight". Registered mail is available ONLY for FIRST CLASS MAIL, and is NOT Guaranteed OVERNIGHT.

I used UPS Express once too often. Too iffy. Had a few letters lost or mishandled in delivery. The UPS manager told me that their "Conveyor" system in their sort facilities was not designed for "Letters" but parcels, and sometimes overnight letters slip through the cracks and end up mis-sorted. Thus delayed a day or two at best, a week or more at worst. So, for overnight, I use FedEx. For "Security", Registered Mail.

Good luck.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the replies chaps. I need to get the package there overnight I believe, so I guess registered mail may not work?

It looks like I may just be limited to FedEx and UPS. I believe the Embassy returns the documents by UPS Next day Express.

Thank you,
Andrew
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by andymillichamp
Thank you for the replies chaps. I need to get the package there overnight I believe, so I guess registered mail may not work?

It looks like I may just be limited to FedEx and UPS. I believe the Embassy returns the documents by UPS Next day Express.

Thank you,
Andrew
Yes - o/n UPS is good - I have never had a problem. Prefer them to Fed-Ex
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I don't think it really matters. There are people who have had problems with UPS and only use Fedex or the Post Office. There are people who have had issues with either Fedex or the Post Office and will never use them again.

Of course, there are people who never had a problem with any of them.

I would just use whichever is easiest for you, if you are near a post office send it express overnight, if near a ups store bring it in and let them tell you which costs less.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I sent my passport USPS express mail. Brought it to the post office early afternoon on a Saturday and it was delivered before noon Monday.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Speed vs. Security

Speed: Fedex, UPS or USPS Express Mail. All are overnight and from Houston to Washington, DC, both Fedex & UPS offer delivery options as early as 8:00 AM.

Security: USPS Registered Mail. This almost certainly will not go overnight. Registered mail is sealed in front of you and is then logged into and out of each stop it makes along the way. For that reason, it is likely to take longer than regular First Class mail, but as noted it is as secure as it gets.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I will go with one of the overnight options.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:13 am

UPS has always done me right... but I would give them a call and stress the security point.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:22 am

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Yes - o/n UPS is good - I have never had a problem. Prefer them to Fed-Ex
Again, I had TWO highly important "must get there overnight" UPS letters go missing. The excuse I got from UPS was "Our Conveyors in our Sorting Facility are not really designed for letters, but parcels. They sometimes "slip" through the cracks." This was catastrophic on TWO occasions and I'll NEVER use UPS again. The First UPS overnight letter took over a week to arrive, the 2nd took three days. Absolutely intolerable.

I use FedEx.

I'm sure others will have a different opinion. I've personally never had an issue with FedEx.

I've not had an issue with Express Mail yet either.

Agreed, anyone can have a bad experience with any carrier. Good luck on your choice. I'm sure you'll be fine with either.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

read about how the diamond guys ship diamonds(i have forgotten). if it's good enough for them shipping a mil in diamonds, it is good enough for me. i recall they did not insure for big bucks.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt GLB
Registered mail hands down.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For a passport, just do Express Mail, Priority Mail, UPS or FedEx. It's an important document, but it doesn't require the elaborate security that Registered Mail offers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.