Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

How come america has such a big tipping culture when no one else does?

How come america has such a big tipping culture when no one else does?

Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by InPlaneSight
Service almost anywhere in Japan is far superior to almost anywhere in the West. Just visit any restaurant or any department store to experience it.

I recently read this in an informative Japanese article: "Tipping is virtually unheard of in Japan. At a typical Japanese restaurant, if you leave a tip on the table, your server is likely to call out to you as you leave, saying "o-kyakusama, o-wasuremono desu yo!" ("Sir, you forgot this!") If you want to insist on the server keeping it as a tip, reply with, "chippu desu kara, o-uketori kudasai." ("It's a tip, so please accept it.")

On the other hand, bell hops and other employees at large Western hotels in Japan have grown accustomed to tip-toting Westerners. They don't expect a tip for service, but neither are they likely to decline a proffered tip."

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6405886
+1
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Originally Posted by calista
i am not saying people don't tip in other countries, ofcourse they do, but virtually no other countries force rigid and expensive tips on tourists and locals alike, and berate them when the requirement is not met.

why is america the only country like this?
Hmm, I'm surprised to learn of this. In my travels, I have been told (more than once) in Brazil and Argentina that "We expect a tip" in restaurants and other service sites. I didn't think the US is the "only country".

However, the flip side is that in China/HK, it appears to me that tips are typically not given nor expected. Now why is this so?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer
However, the flip side is that in China/HK, it appears to me that tips are typically not given nor expected. Now why is this so?
Because in some cultures, tipping is the brother of begging. Some react badly to the implication that 'oh, you are so poor and miserable, here is a little to help you on your way.'

Some cultures take pride in jobs that in the US are considered demeaning and no more than a stepping stone to something else.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
The tip is part of the price of the meal. Unless the service is horrible, then you must tip.

If the service is horrible, the proper thing to do is ask to speak to the manager and inform him/her of the horrible service and why you are not tipping. Slinking off with no tip is cowardly.

Don't like it? Don't come to America. It's just the way it is. Get used to a few other things, too, like American-accented English, driving on the right, reverence for the flag, cross-over use of knife and fork, sales tax added to the sticker price at the check-out, "restrooms" instead of "toilets" and in SoCalif where I live, love of Mexican food.

I get a bit tired of people who are not American cranking about what Americans do. We do what we do, either get used to it or stay home. I don't go to other countries and crab about their ways of doing things.
It is seldom i've seen a post that I disagree with more than this one. I will continue to come to America, and I will continue to not tip if the service is dreadful.

I always add 10-20% (more if deserved) for reasonable service, but i'm damned if i'm going to reward anyone if they think they can treat me like something they scraped off their shoe but still expect me to subsidise their paycheck. Nope...not a hope in hell.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by indianwells
It is seldom i've seen a post that I disagree with more than this one. I will continue to come to America, and I will continue to not tip if the service is dreadful.

I always add 10-20% (more if deserved) for reasonable service, but i'm damned if i'm going to reward anyone if they think they can treat me like something they scraped off their shoe but still expect me to subsidise their paycheck. Nope...not a hope in hell.
Don't be angry! Queen was just saying that if you are treated "like something [one] scraped off their shoe" you should speak to the manager, not disappear into the night without tipping. Of course you wouldn't tip in this case, but it is important to make it clear why you didn't tip.

Thank you for coming to America and tipping, per our customs.

I don't tip at Starbucks, or places where I order food at the counter. I don't tip hotel maids unless I cause them to do extra work. But I'm not insulted by all the tip jars out there.

I don't know how the tipping culture evolved, but here is one guess. Maybe minimum wage was $2/hr back in the day (+ tips for waiters but no tips for anyone else), then as they raised the minimum wage they made an exception for waiters, knowing that they already made some tips which brought them well above minimum wage.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 2:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Am I the only one getting sick of all the tipping threads and think this is not what TravelBuzz! should be about?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by CMK10
Am I the only one getting sick of all the tipping threads and think this is not what TravelBuzz! should be about?
+1. OP should have done a search as numerous related threads exist.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
+1. OP should have done a search as numerous related threads exist.
Mods - why not combine these into one thread?
Old Jul 15, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Mods - why not combine these into one thread?
I provided links for just some of the more recent threads in this post above. It would be one humongous thread consisting of the same arguments pro and con over and over.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fredd
I provided links for just some of the more recent threads in this post above. It would be one humongous thread consisting of the same arguments pro and con over and over.
In my nearly ten years of being a part of FT, some themes just never seem to get boring:

- tipping
- upgrades for no reason
- getting gold/platinum/diamond/galactic status without flying
- secret fare routings
- unfair airline policies
Old Jul 15, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by LondonElite
tipping has gotten completely out of control and has little or no bearing to what it is actually intended to do, which is a small reward for a job really well done, not a wage-replacement scheme.
Arguing about what tipping may have been intended to do when it was started a few centuries ago is not very useful. Today, it is what it is: In the USA it is a wage system in which employees earn a small base salary plus significant incentive money provided directly by the end customers.

Sometimes I wish this style of tipping were more prevalent. It'd be one way to solve the problem of lackadaisical service employees. Simply alerting the manager to poor service (which is the only means of feedback you have when there's no tipping) seldom works. Most floor managers are either unmotivated to take ownership of the problem (maybe we should put them on tips, too!) or reluctant to confront their employees. Tipping lets us, as customers, give more direct feedback. It provides incentive for employees to try harder, rewards those do, and encourages those who don't to find other work. And, at the very least, we customers don't feel like we're obliged to pay for something we haven't received.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by calista
i am not saying people don't tip in other countries, ofcourse they do, but virtually no other countries force rigid and expensive tips on tourists and locals alike, and berate them when the requirement is not met.

why is america the only country like this?

You'd be amazed what the service is like when they know you are a good tipper.

And I've been amazed how poor the service is (DESPITE outrageous prices) in places where tipping is not de rigueur.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: CO Gold
I am not going to change the world with my opinion (and noone in here is either ) so I may as well just say what I think

When I read the price for a service, I expect to pay that (newspaper costs 'x' I pay 'x'), simple man, simple thinking

I don't expect to have to figure out an extra % constantly for the guy that carries bags, the person that takes the food from where they make it to my table (a few feet apart), the person that does xyz service in my house etc

Things get even worse when people (think a large influx of expats) come from a tipping culture into a non-tipping culture, expectations for a tip increase and then I end up looking like a cheapo because I looked at a bill and paid it

The reward for a good service in my book is.......I will come again (or use the service again)

I agree everyone deserves a decent wage (IN ACCORDANCE TO what they do), I don't think its correct for a restaurant owner to expect ME to pay a decent wage to their employees

In my country they shove us the "service tax" down the throat so we end up having to "tip" whether we want it or not , whether the server gets it or not, etc.

The "vision" today is "think short term", so it doesn't surprise me that everyone demands a reward for good service TODAY as opposed to continuous patronage from a satisfied customer.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
You'd be amazed what the service is like when they know you are a good tipper.

And I've been amazed how poor the service is (DESPITE outrageous prices) in places where tipping is not de rigueur.
I can almost picture myself putting a carrot in front of the horse..............
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
The tip is part of the price of the meal. Unless the service is horrible, then you must tip.
There is no legal obligation to tip. So, word "must" is a bit too strong in this context.

If the service is horrible, the proper thing to do is ask to speak to the manager and inform him/her of the horrible service and why you are not tipping. Slinking off with no tip is cowardly.
If the tipping culture evolved as a way to encourage a better customer service without direct involvement of the management staff, then why should I do an extra work myself? I do agree that leaving no tip or very small tip without explaining the reason will not give a particular waiter an opportunity to improve. That is why when I decide to leave $0.01, I always write on the receipt why I did it. Just to clarify, I've only done it twice and only because of the individual behaviour of a particular waiter.

Don't like it? Don't come to America. It's just the way it is. Get used to a few other things, too, like American-accented English, driving on the right, reverence for the flag, cross-over use of knife and fork, sales tax added to the sticker price at the check-out, "restrooms" instead of "toilets" and in SoCalif where I live, love of Mexican food.
What should I do if I don't like the above listed things and I am already an American?

I don't want to go to Omni/PR, but reverence for the flag? The US flag code is being broken thousands times a day by the very people who claim to be most patriotic - they wear it as underwear, hats, flip-flops, eat from plates with flag colours and.... even have a doormat with picture of the flag. I do have respect for a flag, and it irks me when I see such disrespect from clueless people. I prefer to see the flag much less often but with the proper respect shown to it.

We do what we do, either get used to it or stay home.
Don't say "we", because obviously other US citizens may do things differently from you (in particular).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.