Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

The Best US Bookstore: Is it Powell's in Portland or City Lights in SF?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

For a long time I was pulling for Powell's. It's huge, the size of a city block!, and you get a map when you enter. However, last month I spent about an hour at City Lights in San Francisco. It's definitely smaller than Powell's and probably not as interesting. But it has the history going for it, a great attic featuring nothing but poetry (specifically, beat poetry) and their basement is something else. I particularly enjoyed the sections on Anarchism, Class War and Muckraking. Plus, there were handwritten signs all over the wall saying "Welcome: Have a Seat and Read a Book".

I think I have a new favorite.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
I prefer Powell's to City Lights because their selection is more diverse. But I prefer The Tattered Cover in Denver to either.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
I have never been to Powell's but I have been on their website numerous times.

Every time I am in San Francisco I visit City Lights. I can not picture Powell's coming even close to City Lights.

City Lights is owned (at least partially) by Lawrence Ferlinghetti. I am a great admirer of Ferlinghetti: he published William Burroughs and also Alan Ginsburg's 'Howl' when it was not popular to do so - and no one else would. He helped establish first amendment rights.

You will not find best sellers at City Lights, but you will find many books on politics and some very good literature. Every time I am in San Francisco, I make a purchase just to help support the Store.

Last edited by u2fan; Mar 17, 2011 at 6:51 pm
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
I really like Powell's, but I am kind of partial to The Elliott Bay Book Company in Seattle http://elliottbaybook.com/
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
It's hard to make a qualitative judgment on bookstores because I can get spend almost unlimited time in any of these and be happy. City Lights is a unique place that is known for its offbeat (no pun intended!) selection as noted above. I don't really think of it in the same category as Powells, though, which is an enormous warehouse of books that one could get lost in for hours. A closer analog in SF, albeit on a smaller scale, is Green Apple, which has a large selection of new and used books. The only other bookstore I've been in that approaches Powells in size and breadth is The Strand, in NYC.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 4:07 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Books...

I gotta pull for Powells here. It's the St. Peters square in the Vatican City of the written word that is Portland.

I like City Lights, but sometimes they seem as much a museum of SF and counterculture history as a bookstore. It's often so cramped in there that blocking the narrow aisle to peruse a book seems downright rude. SF has lost so many great bookstores: Cody's, Stacey's, A Clean Well Lighted Place for Books, etc, etc

No matter what bookstore you favor, please support it by buying actual books!
Old Mar 18, 2011, 9:03 am

City Lights for the iconoclast in me, but Powell's for sheer volume.

Overall, I'm happiest at Strand in New York.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Kind of out of the way, but if you're ever in Archer City, TX, visit "Booked Up," a bookstore owned by Larry McMurtry, author of Lonseome Dove. Archer City is his home town and is the setting for the iconic movie, The Last Picture Show, which was filmed in Archer City. The store is an unexpected but delightful find in a small West Texas town.

http://www.bookedupac.com/

Larry McMurtry is best known to many as the author of Lonesome Dove, on which the television miniseries was based. The list of books and movies he has written is as long as both your arms, but McMurtry also sells used books.

His antiquarian bookstore, appropriately named Booked Up, fills four downtown buildings of his hometown of Archer City. Book collectors drool when they see the shelves overflowing with fine old and rare books. Don't go expecting to see McMurtry, however. He is rarely in the store.

http://www.dallasnews.com/travel/tex...try-s-2563.ece
Old Mar 18, 2011, 9:42 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Stateside-Bookpeople in Austin.

And I also give props to Strand in NY.

Ciao,
FH
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: American AAdvantage Platinum
Elliott Bay Book Company in Seattle.

Haslam's in St. Petersburg, FL, was an unexpected find.

In the UK, Foyle's in London.

City Lights for it's history and selection. However, can do without the condescending attitude of some of the staff.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Powells is one of the few remaining bookstores I can go into and find weird old books I never knew existed, hence my vote for best. Sadly a number of others I could say this about have disappeared
Old Mar 18, 2011, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Book Passage in Corte Madeira, Ca is widely beloved by authors and readers.

http://www.bookpassage.com/
Old Mar 18, 2011, 3:56 pm

Argggh! I'm a junkie! I've been to every store mentioned here, with the exception of Booked-Up.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
For those of you big into Sci-fi/Fantasy, Mysterious Galaxy in the San Diego (SAN) area is awesome! Lots of great author signings all the time. www.mystgalaxy.com

If you like mysteries and are in the Phoenix (PHX) area, Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale is awesome! A lot of author signings and a lot of signed first editions for sale all the time.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
Another vote for Tattered Cover in Denver!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.