Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

When will US Airways get approval for new electronics rule? (updated: 11/7/13 start)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will US Airways get approval for new electronics rule? (updated: 11/7/13 start)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:58 am
Original Poster

FAA Says Fliers Can Use Devices During All Phases of Flight

I'm sure the answer today is we don't know, but with the announcement this morning, and Delta claiming they may have FAA approval for flights TOMORROW, this will be a recurring question until it happens.

Most interesting note is that Gogo will still not be able to function below 10k feet due to connecting to cell towers, and not satellites. Apparently wifi technology for JetBlue, Southwest, and United will not have that problem.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
I am anxiously awaiting it as well, but I imagine US Airways won't be too quick in making this happen. Plus I imagine that each of the express carriers need to certify on their own.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
But the important question is will they tell us we have to go to airplane mode when the door closes or BEFORE the door closes?
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gruss
But the important question is will they tell us we have to go to airplane mode when the door closes or BEFORE the door closes?
NO more of that talk!
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
April 1, 2026.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
For the benefit of all FAs, I hope it is sooner than later. Compliance under the "old" rules was hard/annoying enough as a passenger, now it is going to be what "No PEDs until we turn off the sign because even though the FAA now says it is OK, we don't have the paperwork yet?"

12/31 is the expected date, but apparently don't call it a deadline...
Old Oct 31, 2013, 11:52 am
Original Poster

I'm flying today and interested to see if there are any complaints or mention of it. I agree for the FA's I hope it is sooner rather than later. If in a month Delta, JetBlue, and a couple others have approval and US doesn't I'm sure there will be some loud complaints.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:40 pm

Programs: ANA Miledge club, JAL Miledge bank, Hertz #1 Gold
Flying Delta into US today.

wonder if they still gonna be following ancient rules.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by aces_high
Flying Delta into US today.

wonder if they still gonna be following ancient rules.
"Ancient rules" ?

Good grief, the FAA just eased their policies not even 12 hours ago.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
While I'm sure I'll take advantage of this I somewhat enjoyed the "quiet time" during take off and landing.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 1:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by bkafrick
"Ancient rules" ?

Good grief, the FAA just eased their policies not even 12 hours ago.
Yes, but they were based on principals that had gone virtually unchanged since the 60's.

Interesting to see what impact this will have on Gogo's (ironically a term also reminiscent of the 60's) infrastructure in the long run, as this just made their product much less competitive.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 4:38 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Each airline has operating policies that are FAA enforceable. Among those include the restrictions on using personal electronics.

First US will have to update its policies to allow those devices, then the FAA will have to approve their policy updates. I guess that could happen quickly, but I'm thinking it will be something we see by Jan 1 (hopefully sooner).

I feel bad for the FA's now, because there will always be a DYKWIA on board that says "It's not a violation of FAA regulations" when told they still can't use their Kindle below 10,000 feet when, in fact, it is a violation until US gets their operating manual(s) updated and approved.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Would have been nice to use my Kindle last night, we had about 30minute wait for takeoff after pushing back from the gate at DCA last night.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
While I'm sure I'll take advantage of this I somewhat enjoyed the "quiet time" during take off and landing.
While I understand that, it will be great to be able to use noise cancelling headphones (presumably at least) during that time, which could make that a quieter time.
Old Nov 1, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
Bummer about the <10,000ft rule. Although I understand there's that risk of someone activating their phone mode to contact a cell tower, I fly on a bunch of puddle jumpers that sometimes fly routes at 9000 ft. Although they're short flights, it'd be nice to get to listen to music!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.