Most of my Upgrades are to row 1, why?

Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Most of my Upgrades are to row 1, why?

I am CP, so most of my upgrades come at either 7 days or 4 days out. FOr some reason I would say 90% of my upgrades are to row 1. I really dislike row 1. I am fairly tall 6'2" and I like to have a small bag of electronics handy. The bulkhead is the worst part for me though.

I looked through the preferences and only saw options for window or aisle, not sure if anything can be done.

Do others have this happen often. I have a 5 hr flight next week in row 1, and am really torn if this if better then the Emergency Exit Seat I originally had.

TT
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:20 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Why don't you, when you get your upgrade, go into the seat map and change?

I did that yesterday morning on a flight I was upgraded on.

If all the seats are full, it means you were lucky to get the upgrade.

If you prefer the emergency exit row, just come back to row 10. I'm gold and I'm probably sitting there. I promise I'll trade with you. I'll even bring you back a package of Biscoff cookies.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by redtop43
Why don't you, when you get your upgrade, go into the seat map and change?

I did that yesterday morning on a flight I was upgraded on.

If all the seats are full, it means you were lucky to get the upgrade.

If you prefer the emergency exit row, just come back to row 10. I'm gold and I'm probably sitting there. I promise I'll trade with you. I'll even bring you back a package of Biscoff cookies.
I do go and change it everytime, just wish I did not have to. I know this sounds petty, but really wondering if there is a reason for this. I am greatful to get the upgrade, and I am near 100% so I cannot complain, but still.

TT
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Totally on board with OP (height > 6' leads to stiff legs especially on TCONs, hassle with carryons). Yes, it's a small thing relative to riding in a middle seat in the way back. But from reading elsewhere on this board, I know that there are folks getting upgrades who prefer the bulkhead. Why not allow all of us to specify in advance?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Choice Gold, Hilton Diamond, US CP
It never ceases to amaze me what people will complain about on this board. They'll complain when they don't get upgrade for whatever reason and then complain about their seat assignment when they do get upgraded.

I get that some people dont like bulkhead seats but its not exactly difficult to change the seat assignment.

Can a thread be started about petty complaints like there is with some of the other airlines??
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I'm not sure what OP wants US to do. Some people love bulkhead rows and others hate them. So, the US system simply automatically assigns an available seat and then permits the pax to change to any unassigned seat.

I suppose that there's someone else who would complain if they were always assigned to row 2 when 1 is open and they don't get it.

This one comes under the no good deed (freebie) goes unpunished.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by whytravelsomuch
It never ceases to amaze me what people will complain about on this board. They'll complain when they don't get upgrade for whatever reason and then complain about their seat assignment when they do get upgraded.

I get that some people dont like bulkhead seats but its not exactly difficult to change the seat assignment.

Can a thread be started about petty complaints like there is with some of the other airlines??
The code to give customers the type of seat they desire could be written by a team of 6 monkeys in a month. A customer-friendly company would recognize that small things like this actually mean something to the folks who contribute a whole lot of revenue to the airline.

Something that can be done to automatically make a customer happy, for a one-off investment in programming time, is a no-brainer investment for any customer-centric manager.

And that explains why a CP has to ..... about it. The manager I described above doesn't work for US
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: US1, HHDiamond, MR Lifetime Plat, Nat'l Exec, Avis 1st, Priority Plat
I've always been under the assumption that seats are given out by status - 1C being the highest (as they typically save 1A until at least after the first round or two of upgrades) then , 1D, 1F, etc. Other than going in and changing to a more desired seat after you receive the upgrade (that's what I do) I suppose you could travel less on US.
Also agree however, that a preference in profile could fairly easily address the concern, but there will still be unhappy, upgraded passengers. Be happy that you are able to complain about getting the upgrade though because as Biggie says, "it's a small thing relative to riding in a middle seat in the way back"
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by whytravelsomuch

Originally Posted by Often1
I'm not sure what OP wants US to do. Some people love bulkhead rows and others hate them. So, the US system simply automatically assigns an available seat and then permits the pax to change to any unassigned seat.

I suppose that there's someone else who would complain if they were always assigned to row 2 when 1 is open and they don't get it.

This one comes under the no good deed (freebie) goes unpunished.
I don't think the OP is complaining in his original post, at all. He's asking a legitimate question about an occurrence that happens more times than not. I don't have statistical proof, but I also would say that 80% of the time when I'm upgraded, it's into row 1, particularly when the rest of the F cabin is empty.

I think he's rightfully pointing out a weird thing that happens so that he can try to take action to avoid it, nothing more, nothing less.

From my perspective, the fact that most upgrades seem to be processed into row 1, combined with the fact that row 1 is blocked from actually being able to choose seats if you get upgraded, makes the "row 1 question" one worth raising, IMHO.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by orfflyer
I've always been under the assumption that seats are given out by status - 1C being the highest (as they typically save 1A until at least after the first round or two of upgrades) then , 1D, 1F, etc. ...
+ 1. On mainline, row 1 is usually blocked for selection on the seatmaps by "just anybody". When my companion and I get upgraded at my window, more likely than not it's 1D, 1F ... that's US sayin' they love me

When the upgrades come later, the gnome will try to find us side-by-side seats in any row; failing that, it'd assign any seat (for which we're grateful).

Given what we know of US IT, I'm happy it works well as is ...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I'm not a fan of the bulkhead either just because I like a bag in front of me. When I get the upgrade it is often to row 1 as well. I just go in and switch it first thing. Generally, there are no problems.

Would you really switch to an exit row because you don't like the bulkhead? To me that just seems crazy. I will switch with you any time, especially on a 5 hr flight.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Interesting comments so far. I travel only for leisure and always with my wife. We almost always get upgraded, if we didn't already purchase a seat up front. I like row 1 and she does not like row 1. I like the feeling of no one in front of me and she likes to stow a small bag in front of her. So generally, we take whatever we get and sometimes change (via the seatmap) if we want to.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:32 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by apeortdz
Interesting comments so far. I travel only for leisure and always with my wife. We almost always get upgraded, if we didn't already purchase a seat up front. I like row 1 and she does not like row 1. I like the feeling of no one in front of me and she likes to stow a small bag in front of her. So generally, we take whatever we get and sometimes change (via the seatmap) if we want to.
I usually choose the bulkhead if I have a connecting flight to catch. I know it's not really rational (the difference between when I get off the plane and rows 2-4 can be counted in seconds), but it's a little mental quirk that makes me feel more comfortable about getting off of the plane first and having more time at the airport.

For transcon daytime flights I choose the seat furthest to the back and in the corner of F, as I like the privacy I'm afforded (nobody can really see your laptop screen there with the wall behind you) and I can work in peace.

For redeyes in F, any window seat (don't have to get up to let anyone out) except for the back row (limited recline) will do
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP: : SPG Plat; HH Gold
The email from US confirming upgrade is my reminder to quickly login and change seats.

The seat I'm normally assigned by the 'system' is rarely the seat I would choose. That said, no complaints from me for any upgrades!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
The OP can set his email to forward to me, and I promise that for the low fee of $25 per trip, I will log in before 8AM ET any day he's upgraded and change his seat, if available.

(Just being facetious here, mod, not trying to sell services.)

I do remember a recent trip where I was in 1C and it was a little annoying to have to stow my laptop (I think the FA put it in the closet). But no, I wouldn't have traded it for an exit row.

Anyway, sometimes the exit rows don't even have storage in front of them.

I really don't mean to put anybody down, but it does seem like this is a pretty small complaint. Especially if you're CP and there are likely to be other seats available after your UG window.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.