Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

3000 bonus miles for 3-day rental with Avis until 2/28/2013 (updated)

Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*

UPDATE: EXTENDED THROUGH MARCH 31, 2012
Here: http://www.avis.com/car-rental/conte...rpreferred2011

Found this on a thread in the Avis forum. Note: Budget had a bonus offer in 2009 that was supposedly just for Delta Medallions. Several people with no DL status reported getting the bonus. It might work for this Avis promo even if you are not preferred. I have no US status and will try this coupon code next week and report back.

Edit: Worked without status. See mile marker #17.

Edit: List of FTer verified participating locations is at the bottom of this post. PLEASE CONTRIBUTE

EDIT: old URL >> http://www.avis.com/car-rental/conte...rpreferred2010

Google's cache of the above link.

Exclusive Offer for Dividend Miles Preferred Members

Earn more miles when you rent with Avis!

* From January 1, 2010, through March 31, 2011, Dividend Miles Preferred Members can earn 3000 bonus miles on qualifying rentals at participating Avis airport locations in the U.S. and Canada. <<< Maybe not AK and CAN. See mile marker #36.

* Rent for 3 days or more and receive 3000 bonus miles when you use Coupon # MUAA044.

* Provide your Dividend Miles number when making your reservation. This offer is in addition to your everyday savings of up to 25% when you use Avis Worldwide Discount (AWD) # K024300.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS

* 3000 bonus miles on all car groups is valid from January 1, 2010, through March 31, 2011, on a qualifying rental at participating Avis airport locations in the U.S. and Canada.
* Please mention coupon MUAA044 to take advantage of this offer.
* Dividend Miles Number must be mentioned at the time of reservation or at the rental counter to receive bonus miles.
* Bonus miles are in addition to the base miles you receive each time you rent with Avis.
* Offer valid on daily, weekly, weekend and monthly rates with a 3 day minimum length of rental.
* An advance reservation is required.
* Offer may not be used with any other coupon, promotion or offer except your AWD discount.
* Offer subject to vehicle availability at the time of rental and may not be available on some rates at some times.
* The savings of up to 25% applies to Avis leisure weekly and weekend rates and is applicable only to the time and mileage charges of the rental.
* Taxes, concession recovery fees, vehicle license recovery fee, customer facility charges ($10/contract in CA) and fuel charges are extra.
* Optional items such as LDW ($35.99/day or less) and other surcharges may apply and are extra.
* Car rental return restrictions may apply.
* Offer subject to change without notice.
* Renter must meet Avis age, driver and credit requirements. Minimum rental age may vary by location. An additional daily surcharge may apply for renters under 25 years old.
* Frequent Flyer surcharge of up to U.S. $0.75 per day may apply.
* Mileage accrual structure subject to change.
* Rental must begin by March 31, 2011.
Avis' FF miles surcharge policy: (here)
The following applies to rentals picked up May 28, 2009 and forward. For rentals in the United States, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Croix and Canada when the renter chooses to receive frequent flyer miles from the following us airline programs Avis will assess a frequent flyer surcharge equivalent to USD $0.75 per day (except $1.00 per day for Southwest). The amount assessed is collected by Avis to offset a portion of Avis' annual cost of participation in frequent flyer programs.
For rentals in the United States, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Croix and Canada when the renter chooses to receive miles in the American Airlines AAdvantage program the frequent flyer surcharge will be calculated based on the federal excise tax expense incurred by Avis when it purchases miles from American Airlines. Under the tax relief act of 1997, all companies that purchase frequent flyer miles from airlines must pay a 7.5 percent excise tax on the cost of those miles (approximately 6 cents per rental day). The 7.5% FTP tax applies to all us states except Arizona, California, Missouri, Oregon and Wyoming
Participating Locations: Below is a list of the locations where FTers have reported success using this promotion. "Success" could just be a receipt reflecting the 3K bonus. If the location has a "see here as well" next to it that means the FTer also reported that the miles posted to their DM account. The link for each location will take one to the mile marker where the success was posted.

Last edited by Evan!; Jul 24, 2011 at 5:47 pm Reason: updated thread title
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks, good find.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milomaniac
Thanks, good find.
Actually the find came from bkafrick in this post from a thread in the Avis forum. I simply thought it deserved its own thread in the US forum.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:24 pm

OK, maybe I'm just a knuckle-head....but I reserved a car through the web link but it didn't ask me for my FF# do I give them that at the airport or do I need to call them?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Worktoplay
OK, maybe I'm just a knuckle-head....but I reserved a car through the web link but it didn't ask me for my FF# do I give them that at the airport or do I need to call them?
Call. Then double check at the rental counter before you drive away. Were you logged in using an Avis Preferred or First account number? I always have the option on the last page of the rental process for me to enter in my FF#, airline program, arriving airline, and arriving airline flight number.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, US Silver, Marriott Gold, Delta, ANA, BA, CO
I currently have a reservation for next week and am trying to decide whether to keep the $20 off or to get the 3,000 miles. It comes out to $0.0067/mile, so I guess most would say take the miles.

But I currently have 360k miles, which is a nice number (3 - 120k C tickets) and I plan to move away from US in favor of CO or UA. So, I think I will just save the money.

Others?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coachwindow
I currently have a reservation for next week and am trying to decide whether to keep the $20 off or to get the 3,000 miles. It comes out to $0.0067/mile, so I guess most would say take the miles.

But I currently have 360k miles, which is a nice number (3 - 120k C tickets) and I plan to move away from US in favor of CO or UA. So, I think I will just save the money.

Others?
For truly accurate numbers you have to also add in the 75 cents per day FF mile surcharge. So you would be paying $20 more AND incurring the 75 cents per day.

Have you looked for another AWD that might bring the rate down a bit further?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, US Silver, Marriott Gold, Delta, ANA, BA, CO
For truly accurate numbers you have to also add in the 75 cents per day FF mile surcharge. So you would be paying $20 more AND incurring the 75 cents per day.

Have you looked for another AWD that might bring the rate down a bit further?
I am just using my corporate AWD. Since I am under 25 and know that my corporate AWD waives the additional age fee, I figure it is easier to just stick with what I know rather than using another AWD where the fee isn't waived.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coachwindow
I am just using my corporate AWD. Since I am under 25 and know that my corporate AWD waives the additional age fee, I figure it is easier to just stick with what I know rather than using another AWD where the fee isn't waived.
Amen to that!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:02 pm

I got this as part of my Chairman's Preferred benefits. Maybe it's only intended for that level?

-Kinglobjaw
Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
I got this as part of my Chairman's Preferred benefits. Maybe it's only intended for that level?

-Kinglobjaw
I doubt it. The ad copy just says Dividend Miles Preferred members. So I doubt that CP will be the only level to qualify. Also, the specific T&C (above) never mentioned being preferred qualifies for the bonus. We'll find out in about a week. If I return my car next Saturday and see the 3K in my total miles I will be confident the miles will indeed post to my DM account shortly after.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Just to be clear, there does not seem to be a limit yes? If I rent every week for 3 days I will get 3000 miles every week? That's a bargin at .75 cents a day.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wareagle98
Just to be clear, there does not seem to be a limit yes? If I rent every week for 3 days I will get 3000 miles every week? That's a bargin at .75 cents a day.
The T&C mention no limit to the number of bonuses. I and others used an Avis coupon code last year dozens of times and got the bonus each time. The only thing you want to watch out for is..

* Mileage accrual structure subject to change.

Two years ago Budget snuck in a 3 bonus limit to an existing promo 1/2 through the promotion period. Subscribe to this thread and you will get an email if someone notices and posts a change to the T&C.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, SPG Plat, HH Gold
I don't usually use a rental car when I travel, but have need for one next week, so this seems like a great promo for me. My question, though, if I pick up Tuesday @ noon and return Thursday @ 9 p.m., does that still count as a 3 day rental (since I'm over two days?). When I change the return time to Friday @ 11 a.m., the price doesn't change, so it looks like I am still renting for 3 days, even though I am returning several hours into the 3rd day. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2010, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jemmazee
I don't usually use a rental car when I travel, but have need for one next week, so this seems like a great promo for me. My question, though, if I pick up Tuesday @ noon and return Thursday @ 9 p.m., does that still count as a 3 day rental (since I'm over two days?). When I change the return time to Friday @ 11 a.m., the price doesn't change, so it looks like I am still renting for 3 days, even though I am returning several hours into the 3rd day. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
It always counts as three days for me. I'm not sure what the exact grace period is but I have been charged for three days before when only going 2 hours past the 48 hour mark.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.