Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US Miles for NON-Oneworld Awards - NOW CLOSED TO NEW BOOKINGS [Master Help Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Using US Dividend Miles for NON-Oneworld Award Flights

Non-Oneworld Partner Award Chart: Here is the award chart for non-Oneworld partner award tickets using US Dividend Miles (PDF): Dividend Miles Partner Award Chart

Non OneWorld partners of US:

• HA - Hawaiian Airlines (inter-island and South Pacific flights only)
  • 9W - Jet Airways

--> Flights of these airlines can only be combined with US flights.
--> NO combination between these airlines and any AA flights or flights of OW partners!

Previous Non OneWorld carriers - not bookable anymore!
Print Wikipost

US Miles for NON-Oneworld Awards - NOW CLOSED TO NEW BOOKINGS [Master Help Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2014, 6:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Arrow US Miles for NON-Oneworld Awards - NOW CLOSED TO NEW BOOKINGS [Master Help Thread]

Even though US is leaving Star Alliance as of March 31, many existing Dividend Miles partners are continuing their frequent flyer partnership with US. Some may remain indefinitely (or at least until the combination with the American AAdvantage program -- and maybe even beyond); others will be ending at some point in the coming months. This category of partners seems to be in quite a state of flux.

This thread is for discussion of using US miles for NON-Oneworld partner flight awards.

(The thread for Oneworld partner flight awards can be foud here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...lp-thread.html)

As announcements about specific partnerships are made, please post them here -- AND update the wiki post above to keep it as up-to-date as possible.

This is sure to be a moving target over the coming months, so the more information we digest here in this thread and wiki, the easier it will be for members to stay abreast of changes and quickly get answers to their questions. (Just imagine how many thread moves and consolidations that will help us all avoid! )

Thanks everyone!

-AZ
Co-Moderator
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:59 pm

Nice thread to set up. ^
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:16 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Will we be able to mix non-oneworld partners when redeeming?
I couldn't find the answer on us webpage.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Originally Posted by kkjay77
Will we be able to mix non-oneworld partners when redeeming?
I couldn't find the answer on us webpage.
Been calling just now, and 2 agents already said no...
Old Mar 31, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Can I use my US Dividend Miles to make a reservation on Etihad?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Can I use my US Dividend Miles to make a reservation on Etihad?
EY is not a partner, so no.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
if it is true that one can mix all the remaining star partners in one ticket, i think it is cool.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:00 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Help us get to South Africa

I have enough miles for 2 round trip tickets to South Africa in J: 160k UR (UA) and 110k US. Departure airport NYC. Here's my dilemma. We're very limited by travel dates, ideally looking to depart 3/7/15 and return 3/14/15. Maybe +/- 1 day on either end but even that is a stretch.

I was hoping to book this all on SA, but their award availability is pretty shoddy.

Since I'm a year out, SA appear to be reliably releasing multiple seats in J NYC -> JNB, which are transient and disappear after 24-48 hours. Great, could book 2 one way tickets using UA, but since US doesn't allow one way awards (so frustrating), wouldn't be able to book the return.

Alternatively, I could try and snag return seats the day they're released, and hope there is decent award availability for departing segments. Since I'm using a mix of UA/US, I'm really limited to sticking with *A + remaining US partners (e.g, TK, SA). Any advice, creative routing? I really don't want to miss out on snagging SA J a year out but can't find a way to make this work.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:23 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by AirD0c
Since I'm a year out, SA appear to be reliably releasing multiple seats in J NYC -> JNB, which are transient and disappear after 24-48 hours. Great, could book 2 one way tickets using UA, but since US doesn't allow one way awards (so frustrating), wouldn't be able to book the return.
I'm a novice at booking US awards, so take what I say with a grain of salt. What I would do is

- book outbound and put on hold. 3 day hold is allowed
- in that 3 day window, find a return. Book it and ticket
- pay change fee when the return date I really want becomes available
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

That's great advice, thank you.

Just to confirm, to book the outbound, I'd use 110k miles for a "one way", and then put it on hold?

Last edited by AirD0c; Apr 1, 2014 at 12:54 pm
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Originally Posted by AirD0c
That's great advice, thank you.

Just to confirm, to book the outbound, I'd use 110k miles for a "one way", and then put it on hold?
No need to pay miles just to put on hold.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bluegreentravel
Been calling just now, and 2 agents already said no...
Award chart for non-alliance partners says yes, but US agents are known to just make stuff up if they don't know.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 1:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by skaya
No need to pay miles just to put on hold.
Got it, thanks. The farthest date the US rep is able to see at the moment on SA is 3/4, this is 337 days in advance, same as UA.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Award chart for non-alliance partners says yes, but US agents are known to just make stuff up if they don't know.
Sorry, would just like to clarify what I said - I thought it's about mixing OW and partner flights. You can definitely mix non-OW partners. Just did it yesterday, and even had an impossible routing that got through...
Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: BA BD SA
I've edited the wiki to point the link to the new award table (it was pointing to the old *A table). Also corrected the description "OneWorld" to "Non-OneWorld Partner" and the date for Avianca's exit to 31 May.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.