Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

AA will thru-check bags to OW Partner on different ticket; is US now doing this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA will thru-check bags to OW Partner on different ticket; is US now doing this?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist

In recent years, in my experience US has drawn a hard line on thru-checking baggage to any other airline if you are flying on two tickets.

American has a policy which specifically states that they will check bags through to final destination, as long as it's to another oneworld partner.

Does anyone know if US has adopted this policy, or have experience with US now being willing to do it?

Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:29 pm

Yea they do it, I had them check a bag all the way through before, even when connecting with Qatar.

That being said, the bag never made it on Qatar, so just be careful.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Platinum/HH Diamond/AVIS First
Just wanted to share my experience.

December last year, was flying to PHX-LAS-LHR, first leg was with US Air, second with BA. Bag checked all the way to LHR.

January this year, flew PHX-IAH-LHR, first leg with US Air and second with BA. When I was checking in my luggage in PHX, agent said I need to take my luggage out in IAH and check it in again with BA. She said it is how my itinerary got ticketed. I really did not understand and did not bother to check. Good thing I have 3 hours layover. Just need to be careful next time.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by surftb15
Yea they do it, I had them check a bag all the way through before, even when connecting with Qatar.

That being said, the bag never made it on Qatar, so just be careful.
Thanks for the data point -- how long ago was this?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Thanks for the data point -- how long ago was this?
In January.
Just make sure to have the flight info readily available and ask to check the bag all the way through.
They will be able to do it, I only had a problem 1x and that was a year ago.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

In January.
Just make sure to have the flight info readily available and ask to check the bag all the way through.
They will be able to do it, I only had a problem 1x and that was a year ago.
Thanks, that's helpful. I used to get them to do it all the time in the old Star Alliance days, but the last year or two I got resounding 'no's' -- "absolutely against policy."

Now that it's absolutely within policy on the AA side, I was hoping US had adopted the same.

Can anyone quote or cite the specific policy on the US side, in case we need ammunition?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Thanks, that's helpful. I used to get them to do it all the time in the old Star Alliance days, but the last year or two I got resounding 'no's' -- "absolutely against policy."

Now that it's absolutely within policy on the AA side, I was hoping US had adopted the same.

Can anyone quote or cite the specific policy on the US side, in case we need ammunition?
Just print this page

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...epolicies.html

It says baggage policy aligned with AA. AA allows it and now US will too.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Just print this page

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...epolicies.html

It says baggage policy aligned with AA. AA allows it and now US will too.
What I see on that page, under the header Infants / Partner Flights / Stopovers is:

Are you traveling on more than one airline?

If you have 2 or more tickets that you booked separately, you'll need to pick up your bag and re-check it with the next airline.
Which is exactly what US quoted me last year.

Plus, at the top of that page:
Bag fees/exemptions & carry-on rules aligned with American Airlines

Our carry-on rules and checked bag fees and exemptions are now aligned. However, other baggage rules could be different.
What are you seeing that could override that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.