Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:46 pm

LH would display the entire trip but it only operate the first leg.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
US gave their agents (and trained them on) a tool to decide whether a routing is "most direct" earlier this year. Since that tool uses 25MPM to make that decision, MPM is indeed an extremely important criterion that can't be ignored anymore.

Crossing both oceans is perfectly fine. An RTW involves multiple stopovers over 24h.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by jrey
indeed. Some airlines will display more.

But all my experience with retrieving my itineraries on UA has been the immediate inbound flight and any successive flights for baggage tag purposes (and also for irrops).
Old Dec 15, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
That's because the other airline(s) involved are all on Amadeus. Otherwise, LH displays exactly like other airlines do.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 6:17 pm

i already booked a ticket to asia via europe. in the middle of the trip, i plan to skip a flight to travel with my friend. would it affect the following flights i have on the same itinerary?

Last edited by wywy88; Dec 15, 2013 at 6:37 pm
Old Dec 15, 2013, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wywy88
i already booked a ticket to asia via europe. in the middle of the trip, i plan to skip a flight to travel with my friend. would it affect the following flights i have on the same itenirary?
of course it will!

the rest of your itinerary will be cancelled. no refund.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 6:47 pm

Correct! Don't do it!!!!
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:04 pm

What would be the sweet spots if the trip is originating in south Asia like SIN or BKK??? Any guru?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What would be the sweet spots if the trip is originating in south Asia like SIN or BKK??? Any guru?
what do you mean exactly?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:02 pm

Mexico?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Mexico?
Oh right! I almost forgot about this one.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:28 pm

Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
If booking a combination *A/US award, how far out will agents be able to see US award availability? I ask because while the US website only shows flights up to 334 days from now (i.e., 11/14/2014), the UA website is able to "see" and book US flights out to 337 days (11/17/2014).

If I call up US directly, will they be able to book those few extra days out despite it not showing on the website, if it's done in combination with other *A carriers? I know that generally speaking, US' systems are able to see other *A carriers out to 337 days. So it seems weird that other *A customers would get access to certain US flights before US customers actually do.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I haven't used the ANA tool in a while -- and it seems to be limiting the number of searches.

I get this message: "It is not possible to search several times in a row."

Is this something new?

Also, before that message appeared, I receives a series of prompts asking me to enter numbers/letters to prevent "fraud."
Old Dec 15, 2013, 11:19 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by tommyleo
I haven't used the ANA tool in a while -- and it seems to be limiting the number of searches.

I get this message: "It is not possible to search several times in a row."
Are you doing this straight on the ANA webpage? Or through KVS using your ANA credentials?
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:12 am

Programs: Everyone!
Originally Posted by louie-m
14 days before travel.
Thanks much. Should we be updating the wiki (at the top) with some of these current issues? Reading the last 10 pages it sounds like far in advance bookings with SQ (Singapore) and UA (United) are very limited, in addition to LH (Lufthansa). Also, no First Class on any NH (All Nippon) or LH. I guess it is a little hard due to not knowing the poster and/ or reliability of agent info....

Last edited by PGHflyer; Dec 16, 2013 at 5:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.