Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:27 pm

Hey guys,

I have a question. I am accumulating UR's and United miles for a trip from JFK to WAW using LOT Polish.

Generally, I would just use my CC points to purchase tickets on the card website, so for example, if I have say 300,000 UR's through chase, I would just book through their site.

How does the Award idea work? I am only interested in Direct flights out of JFK to WAW because it is too much of a paid to have a stop over when you have a kid.

Could someone give me a "high level" description on how the award system works on United/Star Alliance?

Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by rust1d
Could someone give me a "high level" description on how the award system works on United/Star Alliance?

Thanks!
This thread is for using US Airways miles for award travel. Your question needs to be moved by the Moderator to either the United Airlines forum or a forum for credit card usage. But to give a quick answer - you should move your credit card points to your United Airlines frequent flier account and THEN use those United miles to book your non-stop JFK-WAW flight. Keep in mind those flights will be subject to availability so award seats won't be available on all flights any time you choose - book well in advance.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by QWERT1
thanks LLM 225 and goliath! I read the 1st page but was still confused, i will read it again.
you can only have one stopover on the entire itinerary... so either on the way to, or from your destination. not both. you need to choose either Tokyo or London.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by geo1005
This thread is for using US Airways miles for award travel. Your question needs to be moved by the Moderator to either the United Airlines forum or a forum for credit card usage. But to give a quick answer - you should move your credit card points to your United Airlines frequent flier account and THEN use those United miles to book your non-stop JFK-WAW flight. Keep in mind those flights will be subject to availability so award seats won't be available on all flights any time you choose - book well in advance.
So many airlines and alliances I get confused but you answered my question. Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Hilton Diamond
aircraft swap after travel commenced. Any recourse?

Hi,
Traveling in J using US Airways dividend miles and trip has commenced. Got a call from Asiana rep saying that a Quadra flight has been swapped with 747 (non-lie flat). They cant rebook because its using US Airways miles.

Was thinking of calling US Airways to see if they can find alternate segments with lie flats. Does seem like a first world problem but wondering if US would even consider such a request.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by ketelone
...trip has commenced. ....
From DM Membership Guide -
Travel on airline partners

Changes are not permitted once travel has begun ....
US is strict about this rule. The only exception I've heard of is for force majeure events.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:07 am

Programs: Cathay Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Regarding my previous post on not able to book LH awards for next year, I called one day later, and then found availability on the day after the date I wanted, so I booked it for now. However, on the date I wanted, KVS and UA.com saw award availability, but US couldn't. I called 3 times and verified and got the same answer. However, on the day after the date I wanted, all three sources showed availabilities. It baffles me a little bit about the inconsistencies, but oh well, you can't control things you can't control.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 7:30 pm

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
Question MEL-SIN in J return award

Hello

I want to travel from MEL to SIN in november and rang dividend miles and have the itinerary on hold for the moment.

The agent has quoted me 90,000 miles plus $180 taxes. Both legs are on SQ

One is on the A333 and the other on 777-300

Is there a way to minimise the number of miles? Searching the forum reveals that you can book MEL-GUM and it'll be via SIN and you can just ditch the SIN-GUM leg? If I do this will they allow me to board the flight back from SIN-MEL considering I won't have flown the GUM-SIN leg?
Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zainman
Hello

I want to travel from MEL to SIN in november and rang dividend miles and have the itinerary on hold for the moment.

The agent has quoted me 90,000 miles plus $180 taxes. Both legs are on SQ

One is on the A333 and the other on 777-300

Is there a way to minimise the number of miles? Searching the forum reveals that you can book MEL-GUM and it'll be via SIN and you can just ditch the SIN-GUM leg? If I do this will they allow me to board the flight back from SIN-MEL considering I won't have flown the GUM-SIN leg?
the rest of your ticket will be cancelled once you no show for the SIN-GUM leg.

of you want to 'maximize the value' of the award, then a side trip to say Hong Kong, one of the Thai islands, or to Japan might be an option. it will still cost the 90,000 but you're getting the side trip for free essentially.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
Anyone know about this situation? Thanks.

Using USAir miles, I am booked on award travel with United from DAY-EWR, and from EWR-CPH on SAS Airlines. I am concerned about my short layover connection time I have at EWR due to the historically poor flight time arrival/cancellations of the United DAY-EWR flight. Plus, I am booked on the last DAY-EWR flight available on United that day. Therefore, I was wondering on the day of travel, I assume I check-in on the United website, and if so, and if seats are available, can I take advantage of the option to fly DAY-EWR and pay the "same day" change fee for an earlier departing flight to EWR? Having booked with USAir miles, I didn't know if this made a difference or not. Thanks.

Originally Posted by swdke
Using USAir miles, I am booked on award travel with United from DAY-EWR, and from EWR-CPH on SAS Airlines. I am concerned about my short layover connection time I have at EWR due to the historically poor flight time arrival/cancellations of the United DAY-EWR flight. Plus, I am booked on the last DAY-EWR flight available on United that day. Therefore, I was wondering on the day of travel, I assume I check-in on the United website, and if so, and if seats are available, can I take advantage of the option to fly DAY-EWR and pay the "same day" change fee for an earlier departing flight to EWR? Having booked with USAir miles, I didn't know if this made a difference or not. Thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swdke
Anyone know about this situation? Thanks.

I can't help you exactly on point, but generally speaking, partner airlines are not willing to make voluntary changes to partner issued award tickets.

at the airport I have tried previously with Lufthansa to catch an earlier connection and it was denied... i was referred back to USDM as the issuer to see if they could make the change (which if course they wouldn't as travel had already commenced).

that being said.. united goes out if their way to assist in the case of irrops. so if it looks likely your later flight will be cancelled or delayed, they'll generally do everything they can to help you.

and finally... if you can check in in line and if you are offered the earlier flight.. . the I guess by all means take advantage of it
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
A quick question and I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I checked first page and the thread is rather long.

I have got booked pretty much the flights I wanted (TXL-ZRH-CDG-BKK-KUL-BKK-LHR-CPH-TXL) and am happy that there is no change I would pay $150 to make. As such, I want to book seats as my husband and I are on different confirmations. I have the booking codes for TG and LX. However, their websites don't recognise the booking codes or e-ticket numbers. Do I just need to wait a bit longer, or must I reserve seats by email instead?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 9:43 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by price123
A quick question and I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I checked first page and the thread is rather long.

I have got booked pretty much the flights I wanted (TXL-ZRH-CDG-BKK-KUL-BKK-LHR-CPH-TXL) and am happy that there is no change I would pay $150 to make. As such, I want to book seats as my husband and I are on different confirmations. I have the booking codes for TG and LX. However, their websites don't recognise the booking codes or e-ticket numbers. Do I just need to wait a bit longer, or must I reserve seats by email instead?
For both TG and LX, I've never had issues reserving seats by phone. Just give them a call.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Has anyone ever successfully made changes to their award ticket after outbound was commenced?
Old Aug 31, 2013, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by frudd38
Has anyone ever successfully made changes to their award ticket after outbound was commenced?
In the last 3-4 years I think there have been two reports of a voluntary change after commencement. I think they were both due to serious illness/injury.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.