Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:26 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by flyinstyle
Trying to book TPE - BKK - FRA - OSL - KEF (destionation) - OSL - LIS (stopover) - LHR - TPE... I am being told it is invalid routing so I only can do Open Jaw trip...
They are right and do just enforce the USDM membership rules:

• Stopovers are allowed only for the most direct route of travel.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
They are right and do just enforce the USDM membership rules:

• Stopovers are allowed only for the most direct route of travel.
But I'm sure the ICN-NRT/HND-TSA (stop) TPE-SIN-SYD I just booked is so much more direct that just ICN-SYD
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by boo2x
Has anyone had success recently moving changing the class of service from coach to business on an award ticket?

When I booked my award about a month ago I had to settle for coach on my transpacific leg on Air China. The agent who booked my ticket said I could call back later and move up, if business class seats opened up on that flight -- which did happen recently.

But now when I call to make the change, I keep getting the response that to do that, the award has to be cancelled and reissued. The other legs aren't showing availability anymore, so there's no way I'm taking the chance! Blog posts suggest that this can be done, but having been shot down nicely by 3 agents already, I figure I'd check here first to see if the policy has changed....
there will most likely be a $150 change fee, but agents do NOT have to cancel the entire ticket to move one sector up a class.

what you have been told however, is quite common unfortunately. a lot of agents think they have to cancel. but it can be done and keep all your other segments as they are.

you need to keep trying, at different times of the day I guess, till you find an agent that knows how to do it.

and please report back

welcome to FT
Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
there will most likely be a $150 change fee, but agents do NOT have to cancel the entire ticket to move one sector up a class.

what you have been told however, is quite common unfortunately. a lot of agents think they have to cancel. but it can be done and keep all your other segments as they are.

you need to keep trying, at different times of the day I guess, till you find an agent that knows how to do it.

and please report back

welcome to FT

A few months ago I booked the following in business for two pax next year, except the NYC-YYZ leg: NYC-YYZ-TPE-SIN (stopover)-MLE (destination)-SIN-TPE-NYC on AC/BR/SQ/SQ/SQ/BR/BR.

When I got an expertflyer alert saying "I" class was available on the NYC-YYZ leg, I called the preferred line and politely mentioned that I had paid the business class mileage for the tickets and asked if there was anything she could do. Without hesitation the agent switched to first with no change fee.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
But I'm sure the ICN-NRT/HND-TSA (stop) TPE-SIN-SYD I just booked is so much more direct that just ICN-SYD
Very illegal too!!!

Let me know the PNR and i will correct it (voluntarily)!

Isn't it a shame that you let issue illegal itineraries and sell them to the unknown passengers?
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA, US, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
assistance with award change

Hi all - I need some assistance changing an award I have booked. Right now I'm ticketed in C on this:

SQ TPE>SIN (stop < 24 hours)
SQ SIN>DPS (destination)
TG BKK>TPE

So it's a two region open jaw that cost 60K miles. This is around Christmas. It turns out it would be better for a number of reasons to do the open jaw from MNL rather than TPE, so changing to:

SQ MNL>SIN (stop <24 hours)
SQ SIN>DPS (same flight as currently ticketed)
TG BKK>TPE (same flight as currently ticketed)
BR TPE>MNL (new flight)

This would cost 30,000 miles and the $150 change fee. But here's the PROBLEM and what I'm posting about:

The agent says that since the ticket costs only 30K miles, she must cancel the whole thing, redeposit 60K miles and then rebook a new award at 30K. Then she points out that one segment I need in the "new award" is no longer available, which is SIN>DPS. And she says that when she cancels my current ticket, that does not guarantee that the SIN>DPS will be released back to inventory. I agree with her on this last point.

INFO REQUEST: do you think it's true that the original award must be cancelled and a new award booked? I'm pretty sure I've gone from cheaper awards to more expensive and they just took more miles. But anyway, I'd be grateful for feedback so I have an idea if I'm asking something reasonable/possible before phoning back. I don't want to lose the SIN>DPS.

Thanks very much.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

and please report back

welcome to FT
Thanks! I just got off the phone with an agent who was sympathetic, but didn't know how to do it. He passed me on to "management". The second agent told me that I could change my dates for a fee only, but any change in class of service would require rebooking the entire award. And that it's "always been this way". Argh.

I'll try the early morning shift tomorrow.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Isn't it a shame that you let issue illegal itineraries and sell them to the unknown passengers?
Hah, this one was for friends of mine - and I told them beforehand that there was a chance it wouldn't get approved. So all good.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 9:25 am

Is this itinerary still possible?

North Asia to US west coast via Europe
PEK-BKK-CDG
CDG-YYZ-LAX
LAX-PEK

Problems:

1. I heard they don't ticket round-the-world itinerary any more.
2. I heard they don't allow stopover in Europe any more for Asia to US.
3. I heard now they allow only up to 4 segments for each way.

Many thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2013, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by maplenight
North Asia to US west coast via Europe
PEK-BKK-CDG
CDG-YYZ-LAX
LAX-PEK

Problems:

1. I heard they don't ticket round-the-world itinerary any more.
2. I heard they don't allow stopover in Europe any more for Asia to US.
3. I heard now they allow only up to 4 segments for each way.

Many thanks!
it should be ok!

1. is not an issue... an agent might tell they don't ticket RTW itineraries... but that's a case of hang up and call again
2. you may get charged for a stopover in a higher zone. that is becoming more frequent.
3. generally 4+4 and you're good to go... but plenty of itineraries have had more than 4+4 (technically you probably get to almost anywhere in the world in 4 flights... and there is a rule about direct routing. but domestic sectors seem to be excluded)
Old Sep 14, 2013, 5:44 pm

US airways agent not seeing the ANA flight FRA-HND ?

I'm trying to book an award flight in couch FRA - HND on NH204 around Christmas. 12/25/2013. I was able to see the award seat for this fight in all of: ANA tool, United and Aeroplan website. However 2 US airways agent I talk to was not able to see it. is this normal? blocked by US airways? or should I try HUCA?
Old Sep 14, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plat50, Delta Silver, United Silver, Hilton Gold
Award flight - London Stopover

HI
I have searched so apologies if this is answered elsewhere. Will US Airways likely allow a stopover in London on the way to another European destination? It will be on United to LHR, and Turkish for rest of flights apart from final segment (possibly Lufthansa within Europe but would rather travel TK business if available). I know that using United miles this routing would be fine but am trying to use some Dividend miles up.

BGM-IAD-LHR (stoptover)
LHR-IST-ABD (destination)
ADB-IST-IAD-BGM
Old Sep 14, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL, CX
The possibility of ANA being blocked by US Air is not high, although LH,LX,SA,SQ,TK and NZ could be possibly blocked from time to time, usually before the end of the contracted period with them when they offset the cost.
I guess you may need the third, the fourth, or even the fifth agent to get you an award you want. This is US air......Welcome to the wheels of fortune.

Originally Posted by BWItraveller
I'm trying to book an award flight in couch FRA - HND on NH204 around Christmas. 12/25/2013. I was able to see the award seat for this fight in all of: ANA tool, United and Aeroplan website. However 2 US airways agent I talk to was not able to see it. is this normal? blocked by US airways? or should I try HUCA?
Old Sep 15, 2013, 12:44 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rw_cessna_flyer
HI
I have searched so apologies if this is answered elsewhere. Will US Airways likely allow a stopover in London on the way to another European destination? It will be on United to LHR, and Turkish for rest of flights apart from final segment (possibly Lufthansa within Europe but would rather travel TK business if available). I know that using United miles this routing would be fine but am trying to use some Dividend miles up.

BGM-IAD-LHR (stoptover)
LHR-IST-ABD (destination)
ADB-IST-IAD-BGM
LHR is a US Airways destination. So you should be fine.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:02 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
Lufthansa domestic

Ticketed a flight this morning. Still no Lufthansa domestic available which would have saved me a few hours but not the end of the world. Train or car will work.

Anyone had luck picking up LH domestic within Germany for award travel?

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.